It's PROGRAMME not PROGRAM!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Charlieee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
It really, really annoys me when I see people who are from the UK on forums and chat rooms, even in the media, spelling the word "programme" wrong.
I find it perfectly acceptible if people type "program" when dealing with computers, as that spelling is acceptible in that case. However, when you are talking about things like TV, the correct way to spell it in the UK is "programme" with an extra "-me" at the end.
You're probably thinking that I'm going nuts about nothing, but to me, it doesn't look right when I see "program" without the "-me" on the end! It also shows how much American English is influencing our society!
It doesn't take long to add another -me on the end, probably less than half a second, but why do people spell it wrong?
Another thing that annoys me is when people say "I've gotten" instead of "I have got" or "I have recieved". :mad:
Sorry . It just really annoys me! Am I on my own here, or do other people feel the same way?
Tom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're right of course, but i've learned to suppress my innate pedant about this, and many many other similar things. The truth is, not many ppl care. And why should they, really? Especially on a forum. Shame, but.

I agree with not wanting us to use american-isms, too.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Charlieee)
I find it perfectly acceptible if people type "program" when dealing with computers, as that spelling is acceptible
:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I find it perfectly acceptible if people type "program" when dealing with computers, as that spelling is acceptible in that case.

(Original post by TKR)
Lol. but anyone can make a typo, right? and look at me - normally i speak well, but on here i find i can't be bothered with grammar etc.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Spelling 'programe' as 'program' annoys me too. I always try to spell it the right way..but I sometimes slip up ans make the mistake...
fabulous_darling
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You pedant, you.

I feel the same, although I have learnt that it's always best not to mention it. The last time I did mention something like that I was accused of being a snob. How that works, I'm not quite sure!
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TomD22)
Lol. but anyone can make a typo, right? and look at me - normally i speak well, but on here i find i can't be bothered with grammar etc.
well usually they dont make the same typo twice in one sentence and if that's how you feel about spelling and grammar on the internet then isn't this whole thread just a teensy bit hypocritical?

EDIT: Whoops ignore the second part of that I thought I was talking to the thread starter!
ryan342
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You pedant, you.

I feel the same, although I have learnt that it's always best not to mention it. The last time I did mention something like that I was accused of being a snob. How that works, I'm not quite sure!
It's your right as an educated being to correct people's grammar, spelling and punctuation wherever you go. People are so ignorant today and it's such a shame that the once beautiful English language is morphing into 'c u l8r' or other such insulting language - it's appalling!

I think I'm the biggest pedant I know. I work in a supermarket and regularly correct signs with my black marker. There's some writing on the wall as we go onto the shop floor, it says: 'Smile, your on the ASDA stage!' I could cry, really.
fabulous_darling
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ryan342)
It's your right as an educated being to correct people's grammar, spelling and punctuation wherever you go. People are so ignorant today and it's such a shame that the once beautiful English language is morphing into 'c u l8r' or other such insulting language - it's appalling!

I think I'm the biggest pedant I know. I work in a supermarket and regularly correct signs with my black marker. There's some writing on the wall as we go onto the shop floor, it says: 'Smile, your on the ASDA stage!' I could cry, really.
*weeps over the demise of the English language*
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It really, really annoys me when I see people who are from the UK on forums and chat rooms, even in the media, spelling the word "programme" wrong.
I find it perfectly acceptible if people type "program" when dealing with computers, as that spelling is acceptible in that case. However, when you are talking about things like TV, the correct way to spell it in the UK is "programme" with an extra "-me" at the end.
You're probably thinking that I'm going nuts about nothing, but to me, it doesn't look right when I see "program" without the "-me" on the end! It also shows how much American English is influencing our society!
It doesn't take long to add another -me on the end, probably less than half a second, but why do people spell it wrong?
Another thing that annoys me is when people say "I've gotten" instead of "I have got" or "I have recieved". :mad:
Sorry . It just really annoys me! Am I on my own here, or do other people feel the same way?
Welcome to the evolution of language. Without it, we'd still be speaking in grunts.
Charlieee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
acceptible acceptible
(Original post by TKR)
:ahhhhh: Eek! I didn't realise that! I just knew I would spell something wrong when I was trying to explain a point like that! :banghead:

I haven't done it again have I??:afraid:
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You need to get out more!

[I HATE it when people spell tumour 'tumor' - grrrrrr!!!] ;_
Vhisko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes I noticed the difference in spelling
Vhisko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
You need to get out more!

[I HATE it when people spell tumour 'tumor' - grrrrrr!!!] ;_
lol :tsr:
ryan342
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Has anyone read Orwell's 1984? I really hope we don't adopt Newspeak any time soon. That would be very ungood!
Dougie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.spellingsociety.org
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dougie)
http://www.spellingsociety.org
I love those guys. If other languages can do it, why shouldn't we ?
ryan342
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No doubt if we were to have an English spelling reform the Americanisms would be dominant and our ways of proper spelling would be forgotten.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Welcome to the evolution of language. Without it, we'd still be speaking in grunts.

Agreed.

Have you heard someone speaking Old English...?

Change happens, and is no bad thing.
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ryan342)

Now those - public signs, adverts, etc - which are grammatically incorrect, really do piss me off. Partic when it's a gov't sign, where they really ought to know better, or at least take the trouble to get someone intelligent to do a little proofreading.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1119)
78.97%
Leave (298)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise