TSR Pedants' Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Will)
I'm sorry, I'm too much of a pedant to join. I hate societies, you see. :rolleyes:
Indeed.
ryan342
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by HearTheThunder)
llalalallala i think ill make an anti-pedant society and be deliberately inaccurate like! yehhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanks for that. I always knew starting this thread would cause a few people to be a little bitter.

(Original post by Will)
I'm sorry, I'm too much of a pedant to join. I hate societies, you see.
Oh dear, what a shame.

(Original post by Madelyn)
Pedantism is not a word, certainly not one which I recognise. Pedantry is clearly morally superior.
Pedantry is indeed morally superior.

I realise this society (if it gets enough members, of course) has the potential to be the most annoying on TSR. I think, though, that we are justified in our quest to correct others, particularly where no regard to the rules of English language is displayed whatever.

I think this thread could give rise to a militant faction of TSR Pedants' Society. This faction's movements would, of course, remain strictly confidential and the group's main task would be to correct public signs with large black (or perhaps red) marker-pens. Please send your CV to iwanttocorrectsignsandpisspeople [email protected].
Steveee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ryan342)
... particularly where no regard to the rules of English language is displayed whatever.
"whatever"?

I think that this society will tear itself apart by bringing the most annoying people on TSR together. Innit.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Colostomy_Bag)
Well technically it's correct to use shall for first person and will for third person, but there is also a convention that if you want to emphasise it then you swap them around thus the sentences "Cinderella, you shall go to the ball", and "I will go home if I want to" are correct. On the other hand it is my feeling that these should be used sparingly so as not to ruin the effect they have.
You make a good point. I have to admit, I wasn't reading it in context, I just noticed a post which said that 'we will' is better than 'we shall' and thought I could have a moment of pedantry.

By the way, what is this society going to be pedantic about? I'm just a humble language pedant, not a pedant of the grandparent strain ("Anyway, I was reading an obituary the other day of a man... was his name Hutchins? Hmm, no, perhaps it was Hitchcock... yes, yes, I know it's irrelevant but still...").
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Steveee)

I think that this society will tear itself apart by bringing the most annoying people on TSR together. Innit.
True, but it could be fun to watch.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Indeed Steveee. Whatsoever would have been more appropriate in that context I think.
ryan342
Rep:
?
While 'whatsoever' may have been more appropriate, 'whatever' is just as acceptable.
ryan342
Rep:
?
By the way, what is this society going to be pedantic about? I'm just a humble language pedant, not a pedant of the grandparent strain ("Anyway, I was reading an obituary the other day of a man... was his name Hutchins? Hmm, no, perhaps it was Hitchcock... yes, yes, I know it's irrelevant but still...").
Good question. I think pedantry can manifest itself in so many ways and there is a genuine risk of turning into grumpy old men. I think, though, that there has to be some outlet for our frustrations; my friends really are getting annoyed with me.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Good question. I think pedantry can manifest itself in so many ways and there is a genuine risk of turning into grumpy old men. I think, though, that there has to be some outlet for our frustrations; my friends really are getting annoyed with me.
Fine by me. I, too, annoy my friends. Actually, I also used to annoy some of the teachers when I was still at school.
ryan342
Rep:
?
(Original post by buttons7)
Fine by me. I, too, annoy my friends. Actually, I also used to annoy some of the teachers when I was still at school.
Oh I learnt not to correct teachers. I once read a teacher's invitation to his birthday party or something. It was at the "working mens' club". Oh dear.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh I learnt not to correct teachers. I once read a teacher's invitation to his birthday party or something. It was at the "working mens' club". Oh dear.
Well, it was only a select few. Actually, it was normally just the head of the English department, who had quite dodgy spelling and who hated me anyway. Working men's club? Oh dear, oh dear.
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You have need of me in this society.

:rolleyes:
ryan342
Rep:
?
(Original post by xBeLLax)
You have need of me in this society.

:rolleyes:
You're on the list.
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
wooooooooo!

*watches name taken off the list*
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oi! Am I not suitably pedantic? How come I don't get to be on the list? :mad:
ryan342
Rep:
?
(Original post by buttons7)
Oi! Am I not suitably pedantic? How come I don't get to be on the list? :mad:
Oh, I'm sorry, I just thought you were contirbuting but not wanting to become a member.

I'll add you now. :rolleyes:
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
can you put me down too?
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh, I'm sorry, I just thought you were contirbuting but not wanting to become a member.

I'll add you now. :rolleyes:
Fair enough. Thank you!
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We need to establish which member(s) will be an authority on the english language. The guru(s) of the Pedant society in fact. And don't look at me - I only did english up to GCSE. :vroam:

What a society!
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I will be general overseer of this society
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1621)
79.15%
Leave (427)
20.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise