(Original post by xBeLLax)
No. .
OK. .
Kard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When did all this pedantry come about? In the last month or so I've heard people using the word 'pedant', seeing it on usenet, hearing of people accusing others of pedantry...a few months ago I never even heard of it.
Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not a new word or anything, and people have been accusing each other of pedantry for years.....
Kard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know, but it's recently got big press from somewhere. Maybe a celebrity used it recently and so it's become fashionable.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Julian Barnes wrote a book (and a newspaper column, which I believe was in the Grauniad's Review section, though I am prepared to be corrected on that) called The Pedant in the Kitchen.
Lil Lee Lee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's Pedant's Corner in Q or Word or something
ryan342
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Oh dear, my society is losing its position on the list! Please keep it alive!
ryan342
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrazyChemist)
We need to establish which member(s) will be an authority on the english language. The guru(s) of the Pedant society in fact. And don't look at me - I only did english up to GCSE. :vroam:

What a society!
Well naturally I am the boss. There's not really much point is asking people about their English language qualifications as any idiot can get an A* in English. I think to some extent grammar, punctuation and spelling can be subjective (where to put commas, colons and semicolons). It's probably therefore better if everybody can have their say and then the others can simply berate them if they're wrong.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So what, precisely, is the point of this society? A sort of mutual correxion thing seems rather dull.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A society for us to point out errors on TSR, and much more that are rather obvious so I'm not going to say.
ryan342
Rep:
?
This society is the Pickwick Club of TSR, but only our values and aims are more specific. Instead of simply telling the members interesting anecdotes or amusing stories we shall weep over the demise of the English language by offering criticism where it is most needed.

I also made some other comments above about a militant wing but nobody seems to be interested.
ryan342
Rep:
?
Well guys, it's official: the TSR Pedants' Society is now a proper society! Feel free to put something like:

Member of TSR Pedants' Society

in your signature. Thanks, Ryan
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would be interested in some militancy :ninja:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We can lament the loss of good spelling and grammar as a consequence of the growth of text speak. That's something to do.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol yeh buttonz i tink dat wud b kewlzzz
ryan342
Rep:
?
(Original post by ramroff)
I would be interested in some militancy :ninja:
Oh good. I correct so many signs at work. I even corrected this woman's birthday party invitation. It said, 'You're invited to marie,s birthday party'. I was rather embarrassed the other day though as I'd quickly written 'definately' on a news sheet. I'm surprised anybody noticed really.

Genuine errors are OK in casual, every-day English or in quick notes. Government-published leaflets, public signs and formal letters really should be checked meticulously.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ryan342)
Oh good. I correct so many signs at work. I even corrected this woman's birthday party invitation. It said, 'You're invited to marie,s birthday party'. I was rather embarrassed the other day though as I'd quickly written 'definately' on a news sheet. I'm surprised anybody noticed really.

Genuine errors are OK in casual, every-day English or in quick notes. Government-published leaflets, public signs and formal letters really should be checked meticulously.
did she really write "marie,s" ?? :rofl:
ryan342
Rep:
?
(Original post by ramroff)
did she really write "marie,s" ?? :rofl:
Unfortunately, yes. She should be sectioned under the mental health act.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that is really terrible :toofunny: :toofunny:

militancy is the answer to our woes at the end of the day, it worked for george bush so it will work for us! :ninja:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (24)
17.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
39.13%
Nope, not that interesting (60)
43.48%

Watched Threads