TSR Pedants' Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
ryan342
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I believe the thread with the address http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...13#post2705913 needs our attention.
CrazyChemist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well spotted
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess I'll reply to Madelyn and Ryan on the ambiguity discussion a while ago...I concede that in literature ambiguity can be a good thing just as you two said. I am very surprised by the comment about law - I was under the impression that the law was very black and white...and if this isn't the case, how would the justice system break down if it became so? To Ryan, how would more unambiguous (is there a better word than that?) texts be "much worse written"?

The "religious texts" reference was very general - I was not specifically refering to the Bible. The recent suicide bombings would be a good example of extremists interpreting their religious text (the Islamic religious text is the old testement of the Bible isn't it?) one way, whereas most Muslims interpret the passages very differently. If the text was unambiguous we would have avoided all the bloodshed and hatred - it was an example where ambiguity and misunderstanding has been detremental to society.

I maintain that in normal conversation, ambiguity leads to misunderstanding, and one must therefore strive to avoid it.
Manatee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah, this sounds like my kind of society....

I've just spotted this atrocity on the front of a glossy Shell pluspoints leaflet:

Driving has it's pluspoints.
Now, if it had been in the small print on the back, I would have been more understanding. As it is, the nonchalant display of grammatical abuse is making me cringe.

ryan342
Rep:
?
Well, fellow pedants, it's eventually happened: I've received negative rep'. I think though that I really didn't deserve it. I simply made a comment about stationary stores and I received my little red square from 'dogtanian', who proclaimed that 'constant pedantry is boring'. I sincerely hope that she is alone in her quest to promote and enforce the use of poor English.
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh dear - my sympathy. I would give you rep if it would make a difference, but I understand that only members with more than 200 points can influence the rep of other members. Aw what the hell - a toke gesture it is then.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ryan342)
Well, fellow pedants, it's eventually happened: I've received negative rep'. I think though that I really didn't deserve it. I simply made a comment about stationary stores and I received my little red square from 'dogtanian', who proclaimed that 'constant pedantry is boring'. I sincerely hope that she is alone in her quest to promote and enforce the use of poor English.
Why not give her negative rep, because of her quest to promote and enforce the use of poor English? It would be somewhat petty, but I think it could also be deemed pedantic, which would be quite funny. It depends on how much you like to irritate other TSR users, I think.
Manatee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by CrazyChemist)
Oh dear - my sympathy. I would give you rep if it would make a difference, but I understand that only members with more than 200 points can influence the rep of other members. Aw what the hell - a toke gesture it is then.
:ditto: I don't think my rep will be worth anything, but it's the thought that counts...
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Manatee)
:ditto: I don't think my rep will be worth anything, but it's the thought that counts...
It probably will be. The FAQ bit says you only need to have 150 posts and 20 rep points for rep to count.

I just gave you a little 'I approve' thing, so you can see whether or not it works.
Manatee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by buttons7)
it probably will be. the FAQ bit says you only need to have 150 posts and 20 rep points for rep to count.
Oh well, it might be worth a point or two then . Not enough to rival Dogtanian, I fear...
ryan342
Rep:
?
Oh thanks! I appreciate your support at this tough time. It appears I'm back in the green now so perhaps it works!

I was tempted to give her negative rep but my measly 150 posts or so don't give me any authority I don't think. I'll just sit back, and I encourage you to join me, knowing that I am right and, well, her actions must reflect her attitude towards any type of correctness.
ryan342
Rep:
?
N.B. My reputation has gone from -3 to +5! So, thanks!
Manatee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ryan342)
Oh thanks! I appreciate your support at this tough time. It appears I'm back in the green now so perhaps it works!
Glad I could help. We pedants have to stick together!
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Manatee)
Glad I could help. We pedants have to stick together!
Yup - too right!

My rep counts? Cooo - I have power!
Manatee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
At the risk of incurring the wrath of anti-pedant TSRers, please add me to the list of members!
ryan342
Rep:
?
Yes, of course.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think there are a few problems with this society though - this is a text-based interface, so people are generally more concerned with getting their points and views across as succinctly as possible, so grammer, spelling and punctuation go out of the window...
May i suggest that the pedantism (I suspect that's right) is not limited to, indeed, not specifically focused on, the punctuation, grammer and spelling of the english language because of the aforementioned problems... Perhaps in cases where the punctation or grammer is such that the meaning of the meaning of the sentence (or post, or whatever) is ambiguous or very wrong, it would be reasonable to put the postee right, though I still think that targetting the english language is a bad idea.
:eek: Grammar.
CrazyChemist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
:eek: Grammar.
Rats. I'm very sorry 'bout that. I stand corrected and it won't happen again, thanks to this society.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Rats. I'm very sorry 'bout that. I stand corrected and it won't happen again, thanks to this society.
The important thing is that you have learned (should that be 'learnt'?) from your mistake.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think 'learnt' is English, 'learned' is the U.S. Newspeak version of English. But I could be wrong.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (283)
25.22%
No I don't (546)
48.66%

Watched Threads