Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance, Firm...What does it all mean?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As I am a student from the US, I am a little unclear about this.

Judging by the names, I can assume that 'firm' means the choice of university that you will deff accept if you got in, and 'insurance' means a backup. But when do you make this decision? How do you know you will get into your insurance? Does this mean you forget about all other universities that made you an offer? :confused:

Any help would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moloko)
    As I am a student from the US, I am a little unclear about this.

Judging by the names, I can assume that 'firm' means the choice of university that you will deff accept if you got in, and 'insurance' means a backup. But when do you make this decision? How do you know you will get into your insurance? Does this mean you forget about all other universities that made you an offer? :confused:

Any help would be great
    Yeh you pretty much have it.

Firm-one ur def goin to
    Insurance-backup

All others are cancelled.

Make the decision around March/April I think.

www.ucas.co.uk has all the info you'll need on the matter.

Sorry cant go into more detail. Im irish moving to the uk for college. So im not too knowledgeble on all this either

ReputationRep:
    Once you've received offers or rejections from all 6 universities you applied to, you have to choose one you really want to go to (conditional firm) and a second choice, usually one that wants lower grades in case you mess up your exams a bit (conditional insurance). You then decline all your other offers. Once you get your results, if you've got the grades for your conditional firm, you've got a place. If not, they may let you in anyway, but if they don't and you've met the grades for your insurance, you've got a place there. If you miss the grades for your insurance and they won't take you, you can go through something called clearing, which is where you ring all the universities with places left on courses you're interested in to see if they'll accept you.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Once you've received offers or rejections from all 6 universities you applied to, you have to choose one you really want to go to (conditional firm) and a second choice, usually one that wants lower grades in case you mess up your exams a bit (conditional insurance). You then decline all your other offers. Once you get your results, if you've got the grades for your conditional firm, you've got a place. If not, they may let you in anyway, but if they don't and you've met the grades for your insurance, you've got a place there. If you miss the grades for your insurance and they won't take you, you can go through something called clearing, which is where you ring all the universities with places left on courses you're interested in to see if they'll accept you.
    Just to add to that, you may also get unconditional offers (if, for example, you're doing Advanced Highers and applying to a Scottish university or have already completed your A-levels). In this case you can either choose an unconditional firm (which will be the university you will go to - it's unconditional so you can't fail to meet the conditions!) or a conditional firm and an unconditional insurance (where if you don't get into the firm you are guaranteed a place at the insurance as, again, there are no more conditions to meet).
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, if you get the grades for your firm but decide that you want to go to your insurance, is that possible?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Rasta)
    Just out of interest, if you get the grades for your firm but decide that you want to go to your insurance, is that possible?
    You have to get your firm to release you - if you're wanting to know more about the process, do a search cos there are loads of threads about how to do that.
    Jenn xx

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.