Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I just got my results back today from my Autumn exams in uni and I failed one of them-35%

I'm feeling gutted. I passed the other 2 (60%) but it's really making me wonder about uni and if I'm failing exams in 2nd year should I even be here. I mean these ones actually go towards my degree. I don't know what to think I guess I'm just feeling a bit down now.

Maybe someone can cheer me up.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
University isn't for everyone and even if you did well at school or college does not mean you will do well at university. Assess your options other than university and decide if there is another route you can take that is more beneficial than your situation with uni at current.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
Hmmm..What course is this?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hmmm..What course is this?
Biomedical science

I don't think there is anything I want to do that I could get to without being at uni. I've had a pretty hard time, with depression and that recently so I suppose that might have been why I didn't perform to my full potential.
hannah_dru
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Everyone can fail exams, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be there.
logic123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
to much party and drink, blame no one else but your party self
logic123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
most people who fail first year is because they party to much and take it for granted, there loss tbh
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You've failed one exam - it's not the end of the world. Your other marks are 60% - in line for a 2:1, a respectable degree, especially in something like BioMed Science.

Talk to your personal tutor about resitting the failed examination - it's only a soft fail, and nonetheless, counts towards your degree. Your last year usually counts more than your second year anyway, so again, it's not like you're on track to fail. Some people don't like particular modules, and it can't be helped, but as long as you make it up in other modules

Also reflect upon how much work you put in. Putting in the effort up until exam season and then not doing much revision is a common cause for not doing too well in exams. Don't be afraid to ask questions in lectures and seminars, and ask people for help in labs and with coursework (without copying work of course..). It's all good
Anonymous #3
Report 11 years ago
Perhaps talk to your tutor about this? He/she can look over the exam script with you and analyse where you went wrong.

I'm doing a similar subject to you in uni and haven't been doing as well as I thought I would. I'm just going to keep going so at least I can get a degree at the end (despite feeling as though I just failed my Finals. Ah well.)
yoyo462001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Come on you failed ONE exam why would that lead you to doubt even being at uni especially since you got 60% in the others, you cant achieve anything in life by falling down at a hurdle then quitting. Keep going, see this as just a blip, aim for 70% in your next exam, try and rectify your mistake.
La Môme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just got my results back today from my Autumn exams in uni and I failed one of them-35%

I'm feeling gutted. I passed the other 2 (60%) but it's really making me wonder about uni and if I'm failing exams in 2nd year should I even be here. I mean these ones actually go towards my degree. I don't know what to think I guess I'm just feeling a bit down now.

Maybe someone can cheer me up.
Think about it this way...if you do four years of university, that's about two semesters a year. so that's eight semesters in all. say you do four units a semester--that's 32 units across your whole degree, roughly. failing 1 out of 32, provided that you take care to not fail again to the best of your abilities, isn't so bad in perspective.

I know you'll probably feel terrible about it, and failing's no fun, but it'll only get worse if you let it. You should sit down with yourself and pinpoint (list, mindmap, whatever) all of the factors that allowed you to fail. if you skipped classes or didn't hand in work, that's an issue to fix. if you found the work hard, etc. I think the most important thing is to give yourself a small amount of time to wallow and agonize and feel terrible, but you have to pick up the pieces to ensure that you get your degree and do well.

You said that you had some problems with depression, that's also something to factor in. could you have applied for special consideration?

I think that if you've gone through high school and secured a place at uni in this course--you are capable. don't think otherwise. failing a unit's not a small thing to just brush off, but with some hard work, it'll be nothing but a memory. in the future you'll be giving employers your transcript and trying to get a job. if you pick yourself up and do well in what's left of your degree, I think you can rectify this.

Good luck!
smiley:)
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
just work harder for the next one, you have good scores in the other 2. i know people who did absolutly shocking the first time round then did really well when they took there next ones or took them again you will be fine
Anonymous #1
(Original post by logic123)
to much party and drink, blame no one else but your party self
I don't think that's the problem. I've not really been out much this year and when I do I rarely drink.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
You've failed one exam - it's not the end of the world. Your other marks are 60% - in line for a 2:1, a respectable degree, especially in something like BioMed Science.

Talk to your personal tutor about resitting the failed examination - it's only a soft fail, and nonetheless, counts towards your degree. Your last year usually counts more than your second year anyway, so again, it's not like you're on track to fail. Some people don't like particular modules, and it can't be helped, but as long as you make it up in other modules

Also reflect upon how much work you put in. Putting in the effort up until exam season and then not doing much revision is a common cause for not doing too well in exams. Don't be afraid to ask questions in lectures and seminars, and ask people for help in labs and with coursework (without copying work of course..). It's all good
Thankyou. You've made me feel a lot better. I guess it's just the imediate feeling of disappointment and the thought that I have to resit a module that I didn't really like.

As it's not a bad fail I'm hoping I may be able to get a conditional pass if I can make my summer exam marks high enough.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it really is nothing. Just easy to take to heart.
Butterfly1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you have failed one of them, you can retake it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” So just keep going, and you can do it
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
Biomedical science

I don't think there is anything I want to do that I could get to without being at uni. I've had a pretty hard time, with depression and that recently so I suppose that might have been why I didn't perform to my full potential.
Dude, its biomedical science. Cut youself some slack, thats a touch subject, and the fact that you wen't through depression is something that you should emphasise upon.
Doubledog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
has your tutor returned your paper to you with feedback on why you failed? If he hasn't you should ask for it. Ask what you needed to do to pass.
There could be a remote chance that the marking was wrong anyway, so no harm done in checking.
Doubledog
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"I passed the other 2 (60%)"
If there was equal weighting for each of the three papers then you have got an overall percentage of over 50%. Isn't that an overall pass?
CaptainPrice
Report 11 years ago
I failed one module exam (22%) and got a borderline pass (30%) in another module exam. Granted it was out of about 32 modules but I still got a 2:1 overall so I wouldn't be worried unless you're consistently failing.
Josieee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)

Yeah I agree.
greenpear
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Try not to be disheartened. You can still learn from the experience. If you have been allocated a personal tutor, make an appointment to see this member of staff. They should be able to explain to you what your options are. At most universities, the final year is weighted more highly than the second year - and, providing you are performing well in your other modules, there is still the opportunity to achieve a good degree. If you have mitigating circumstances, ensure that these are known. This could lead to the University granting you a re-take where an uncapped mark is still attainable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise