Msc in Geography at UCL, Edinburgh and Imperial

Watch this thread
allysonrlang
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello,

I have recently been accepted to the Msc in Environment, Science and Society at UCL, Msc in Environmental Sustainability at University of Edinburgh, and a conditional acceptance for the Msc in Environmental Technology at Imperial College. I am wondering which program out of these three is the most highly regarded in the geography/environmental science field, and which I should choose.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm a student from the US so I'm not sure how these programs are regarded in the UK.

Thanks!
Johnni
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
You first need to decide which course is best suited to your career aims.
Look at the modules studied and seen if they cover what areas you are interested in/require for jobs you will apply for after graduation. Some might focus more on techinical/practical skills, other courses more theorectical so you need to find this out.
Kafka is magic
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
In terms of geography departments , I would suggest, UCL is the most respected out of the three.

I certainly didn't even know Imperial had a geography department tbh. I suspect their course will be more hard science/physical geography based than the other two.
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kafka is magic)
In terms of geography departments , I would suggest, UCL is the most respected out of the three.

I certainly didn't even know Imperial had a geography department tbh. I suspect their course will be more hard science/physical geography based than the other two.
Edinburgh has an extremely good geog dept, which does a lot of good GIS stuff and some really great human stuff. The Imperial course is in their Environmental Policy centre, which is also well-known.
UCL has CASA which is really good, but I'm not au fait with a lot of their environmental stuff.
surabhik
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by allysonrlang)
Hello,

I have recently been accepted to the Msc in Environment, Science and Society at UCL, Msc in Environmental Sustainability at University of Edinburgh, and a conditional acceptance for the Msc in Environmental Technology at Imperial College. I am wondering which program out of these three is the most highly regarded in the geography/environmental science field, and which I should choose.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm a student from the US so I'm not sure how these programs are regarded in the UK.

Thanks!
hey, i have applied to similar programs in the 2012-2013 cycle. i got through both Edinburgh and UCL (i didn't apply to Imperial) i am thoroughly confused as to which uni i should pick. which one did you end up picking? how did you find the course? are there any immediate job prospects where you're based?
LostRiot
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I would certainly rank Edinburgh is the best department.

But you need to look at what the course covers, what members of staff are in each department and how that fits in with what you want to do.

CV wise no one will care between the three, but if you're going for an interview for your dream job you want to have done an MSc that will have given you experience that will help you nail it.
UKbound
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, but for the 2013/2014 school year. Which did you end up going to, and how is it?

I have offers from:
Imperial -- MSc in Environmental Technology
Edinburgh -- MSc in Environment and Development
Edinburgh -- LLM in Global Environment and Climate Change Law

waiting for decisions from:
LSE -- MSc in Environmental Policy and Regulation
UCL -- MSc in Environment and Sustainable Development
King's -- MSc in Global Environmental Change

am on the waitlist for Oxford's MSc in Environmental Change and Management.

How would you rank these programmes? Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Kamayani
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by UKbound)
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, but for the 2013/2014 school year. Which did you end up going to, and how is it?

I have offers from:
Imperial -- MSc in Environmental Technology
Edinburgh -- MSc in Environment and Development
Edinburgh -- LLM in Global Environment and Climate Change Law

waiting for decisions from:
LSE -- MSc in Environmental Policy and Regulation
UCL -- MSc in Environment and Sustainable Development
King's -- MSc in Global Environmental Change

am on the waitlist for Oxford's MSc in Environmental Change and Management.

How would you rank these programmes? Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
hey!
which one did you choose? I have an offer for Environment and Sustainable Development from UCL and an offer from Edinburgh as well. Which one has better job prospects and reputation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads