which book series did you used to love as a kidl? Watch

This discussion is closed.
missjelly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
for me it's got to be Sweet Valley High (Sweet Valley Twins/Kids/Jr High/Sr High/Uni/Elizabeth series werent out then). good old 80s days....

i also liked the Nancy Drew ones.

i remember Hardy Boys, Enid Byton 'The Famous 5' and 'What Katy Did/Dixt Next/Did last' and the Heidi series.

which series of books did you read as a kid?do you still re-read them?
sezmeister
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sweet Valley High - i forgot about that! Back in the day hehe

I liked the Babysitter Club books (before my parents banned me from them! ) and the St Clare's and Malory Towers books from Enid Blyton. used to reread them over and over again but havent touched them for about ten years now. I used to read the Jennings stories and a few of the Swallows and Amazons novels also, but I don't remember them that well!

Although I wouldnt count these as a series really but the Judy Blume books were some of my favourites, especially "Here's to you, Rachel Robinson"
yo-less
Badges: 1
Report 13 years ago
anything by enid blyton
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
enid blyton. i used to like roald dahl alot, too (although i know it wasn't a series). and from the age of about 8/9 i liked books by tamora pierce because they were all historical and less tame than ol' blyton. i never went near goosebumps and sweet valley high like everyone else though because i was scared of both of them. can't remember any more.
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I loved Enid Blyton books too, Im pretty sure I read most of them. The Magic Faraway Tree series was my fave, which I must have read a hundred times over.

I also used to read a lot of books by Paul Jennings, who was responsible for the Round The Twist kids tv series.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by .Em.)
The Magic Faraway Tree series was my fave, which I must have read a hundred times over.
yeh, i used to like them too. unfortunately, a few months ago one of my friends said "you know what jen, you remind me of moonface from 'the magic faraway tree!" now, i do have a round face but i'm not on a par with sophie ellis-bextor or anything, and i'm definitely not a circle with legs. afore-mentioned friend claimed that the apparent resemblance is a good thing, but i'm not so convinced. and now i can't think of those books without thinking about how i'm supposed to look like moonface. grr.
spider from mars
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was definitely an Enid Blyton kid too. Lashings of Malory Towers and the Famous Five. They're pretty shoddy when you think back on them. Every FF book seemed to contain exactly the same elements:

Smugglers (where were all the drugs and guns?)
An abandoned mine/cave
A strange wild child/gyspy child
Someones mysterious uncle
Getting up ridiculously early in the morning and then having tongue sandwiches (*gags*) and ginger beer for lunch

I still read and re-read every single book when I was little though
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Hardy Boys. I finised the series before I started year 4:eek:
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Used to?
I still read kids books!
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Famous Five, nancy drew, Sabrina the teenage witch and babysitters club.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Redwall and Terry Pratchet I think
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
enid blyton and the narnia series of course!

oooh, and that trilogy by Robin Jarvis - I think the first one was called 'The woven path'. I was obsessed by that when I was wee!
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh! The chronicles of Narnia!
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sezmeister)
Sweet Valley High - i forgot about that! Back in the day hehe

I liked the Babysitter Club books (before my parents banned me from them! ) and the St Clare's and Malory Towers books from Enid Blyton. used to reread them over and over again but havent touched them for about ten years now. I used to read the Jennings stories and a few of the Swallows and Amazons novels also, but I don't remember them that well!

Although I wouldnt count these as a series really but the Judy Blume books were some of my favourites, especially "Here's to you, Rachel Robinson"
The very same thing happened to me. :bawling:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
The Hardy Boys. I finised the series before I started year 4:eek:
THE SINISTER SIGNPOST!!!! sorry, that's the only hardy boys book i ever read (and, by gum, it was fantastic) i read it when i was about 15 because it was Cult Fiction among a few of my friends, for some reason. mainly because of the hilarious title, methinks.
Gwen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Baby-Sitters Club
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
secret seven, malory towers, st clares, enid blyton- she was my mate
peacenik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heidi, Anne of anvoli (spelt wrong) series, Babysitters club, Roald dahl, Malory towers...etc I seem to have read them all!

But they never went to the toilet in enid blytons books....got me quite concerned! :eek:

But if I can pass on one bit of advice be very careful before you re read childhood favorites. I did and in the process managed to destroy all rose tinted memories of them. I think it was because now I obvious read such better books, really well written pieces of literature that they just dont compare. There is a reason why they are for children.

Having said that it does depend on the book. Re reading Enid Blyton was a mistake but re reading Roald Dahl (as i still regularly do) brought much joy...possibly because RD is in a league of his own when it comes to fantastic childrens books that work fantastically on all levels....? peacenik
missjelly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
ooooh!!! *squeals*

i remember the babysitter club!
i used to read ann of avolea!malory towers!and chronicles of narnia!!and swallows and amazons!!

*wistfully and nostalgically leans back in chair*

what do you think happened to all our fave books?

an old sweet valley high book is selling for £214

wow!!!
~Jen~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Babysitters & Goosebumps (occassionally), What Katy Did etc, Anne of Green Gables and all the sequels, Narnia, Heidi, The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew... I may have missed a couple.

Er, so basically everything except Sweet Valley High... never did get around to reading those
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (49)
18.28%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (109)
40.67%
Nope, not that interesting (110)
41.04%

Watched Threads