The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

An evening with Ms Shami Chakrabarti, Director of Liberty

An evening with Ms Shami Chakrabarti, Director of Liberty

in conversation with Ms Harriet Samuels, Senior Lecturer and Director of the Centre of Law, Gender and Sexuality at the University of Westminster.

Equal Rights, Equal Opportunities: Progress for all

Shami Chakrabarti has been Director of Liberty (The National Council for Civil Liberties) since September 2003. Shami first joined Liberty as In-House Counsel on 10 September 2001. She became heavily involved in its engagement with the “War on Terror” and with the defence and promotion of human rights values in Parliament, the Courts and wider society.

Since becoming Liberty’s Director she has written, spoken and broadcast widely on the importance of the post-WW2 human rights framework as an essential component of democratic society.

This is a public lecture and all are welcome to attend.

Date: 8 March 2010 6.00pm - 8 March 2010 7.00pm
Location: The Old Cinema, University of Westminster, 309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/about/news-and-events/events/2010/barbara-diamond-memorial-lecture

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/index.shtml

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She came to our school... she was pretty good :smile:
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
argh why do all the good things go to London =/
I wish there were more open lectures and discussions with 'famous' people in Manchester. There probably are some but I just can never find them lol.
She needs killing. Pos rep to anyone who kills her.
Thanks for posting this Itchybrain - can't wait for this. :smile:
She came to my school a couple of months back, made a lot of enemies by completely putting selective schools down...apparently without realising she was sitting in one lol.
On everything else she seems pretty awesome though :smile:
Reply 6
lesbian?
Jfranny
lesbian?

Maybe it is best to come out to your parents and friends first instead of an internet forum for students.

All power to you though - unfortunately not many lesbian bars in London - you'd have to move to Brighton - all the best.
Reply 8
C_D_forever
Maybe it is best to come out to your parents and friends first instead of an internet forum for students.

All power to you though - unfortunately not many lesbian bars in London - you'd have to move to Brighton - all the best.

what? Is she a lesbian?
Jfranny
what? Is she a lesbian?

Why you interested in her? You should be - she's a lovely looking woman and someone that any lesbian like yourself would be proud to have on her arm, showing her off in front of all the dykes at Brighton.

Sign up for the evening and try and ask her out on the night - have you seen Sugar Rush? It's brilliant:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sugar-rush
Reply 10
C_D_forever
Why you interested in her? You should be - she's a lovely looking woman and someone that any lesbian like yourself would be proud to have on her arm, showing her off in front of all the dykes at Brighton.

Sign up for the evening and try and ask her out on the night - have you seen Sugar Rush? It's brilliant:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sugar-rush

unfortunately i'm not a lesbian, i have no idea why you're being so hostile.. :rolleyes:
Jfranny
unfortunately i'm not a lesbian, i have no idea why you're being so hostile.. :rolleyes:

Hostile! I was simply pointing out (in a comical way I thought) that if Shami was a lesbian - does it even matter or make any difference - I also thought you were coming out and actually fancied your chances with her (I think she might be out of your league but you never know).

I stand by my comments regarding Sugar Rush - it is brilliant - everyone should watch it.
Reply 12
C_D_forever
Hostile! I was simply pointing out (in a comical way I thought) that if Shami was a lesbian - does it even matter or make any difference - I also thought you were coming out and actually fancied your chances with her (I think she might be out of your league but you never know).

I stand by my comments regarding Sugar Rush - it is brilliant - everyone should watch it.

if i was straight she may well have potential, alas i'm not so you may have a better chance with her.
Jfranny
if i was straight she may well have potential, alas i'm not so you may have a better chance with her.

She is happily married and you shouldn't presume that I'm gay/straight/bi a woman or a man or a combination of all these "things".

All I can say is watch Sugar Rush and sign up for the evening with Shami, I can't wait. As for lesbian bars, you luckily won't have to move to Brighton as Soho has a thriving gay scene.
Reply 14
C_D_forever
She is happily married and you shouldn't presume that I'm gay/straight/bi a woman or a man or a combination of all these "things".

All I can say is watch Sugar Rush and sign up for the evening with Shami, I can't wait. As for lesbian bars, you luckily won't have to move to Brighton as Soho has a thriving gay scene.

you know you're not that funny? :rolleyes:
Jfranny
you know you're not that funny? :rolleyes:

Well not as funny as this lady - Gina Yashere - I wonder if her and Shami can do a double act....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2it7M9r7eg
Annoying, annoying gobby old troll when she was on QT, pos rep for anyone who puts her in hospital.
:rolleyes:
adamrules247
Annoying, annoying gobby old troll when she was on QT, pos rep for anyone who puts her in hospital.

Wow! vote tory! :s-smilie:
http://www.westminster.ac.uk/about/news-and-events/news/2010/shami-chakrabarti-in-lively-conversation-at-westminster

Shami Chakrabarti in lively conversation at Westminster

12-03-2010

Director of civil rights group Liberty Shami Chakrabarti ensured the University’s 2010 Barbara Diamond Memorial Lecture lived up to its tradition of lively discourse this week.

In conversation with University law lecturer Harriet Samuels, Shami Chakrabarti talked about many of the topics that ensure she is seldom out of the news when human rights issues are on the agenda.

The death penalty, Human Rights Act, detention for terror suspects and defending ‘shock-jock’ and Sun newspaper columnist Jon Gaunt’s freedom of speech were all covered during an entertaining hour of discussion.

The event, which attracted a packed audience to the University’s Regent Street Old Cinema, was the latest in a series of annual lectures to celebrate the life of former lecturer Barbara Diamond.

Taking questions from the audience, Shami Chakrabarti was asked for her view on how students should view the issue of human rights.

She replied by paraphrasing Eleanor Roosevelt’s famous maxim that “where, after all, do human rights begin? In small places, close to home – so close and so small they cannot be seen on any maps of the world. Yet they are the world of the individual person; the neighbourhood he lives in; the school or college he attends; the factory, farm or office where he works”.

Previous speakers at the annual event have included writer and broadcaster Germaine Greer, fashion designer Zandra Rhodes and disability campaigner Tara Flood.

Follow this link for more information on Liberty: http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending