Calling all A level Biology students...

Watch
smile09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Which exam board would you say is the best to do A level Biology?
I am learning in my spare time and want to know which one is the most popular and why.

Thanks
username368993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure but I'm doing a similiar thing. Are you doing other A levels as well and how are you teaching?
ibysaiyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by smile09)
Which exam board would you say is the best to do A level Biology?
I am learning in my spare time and want to know which one is the most popular and why.

Thanks
Most would go for OCR.I am doing it as well :p:
Going_To_California
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm with WJEC, but most people I know outside of college are with AQA. I don't think there's any significant difference and they teach you similar things. If you're studying outside of school, it might be easier with AQA as there seems to be quite a lot of material to help you.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback from people who recently sat the AQA A2 biology exam :p:
persian10
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
What ever you decide to do jus dont go 4 edexcel its a paiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin !!!
LearningMath
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Given that we tend to only do one exam board, it's impossible to make a comparison. But i'm sure you'l recieve a wealth of uninformed responses anyway! :p:
hannmatt92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As above, you would have to ask someone who does every single one, which is nobody. However AQA is good if you like how science works.
future-dentist
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
AQA is stooooooooooooooooopid :yep:
missbrowneyes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
DO NOT DO WJEC. My schools' head of biology switched us from OCR to WJEC and even he said he regrets it.
There's no difference in difficulty across boards..what changes is the marking, and WJEC follows a mark scheme which doesn't allow much for common sense, only blind, pedantic regurgitation.
In my opinion.

Edit: I did edexcel biology at a previous school and it seemed a bit better, with a bit more how science works than WJEC which I now do.But it depends on if you like that sort of thing.
username368993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by persian10)
What ever you decide to do jus dont go 4 edexcel its a paiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin !!!
Seriously? Why? I've just started it!
tinytinygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do not do SNAB edexcel. K thanx.
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not SNAB I implore you.
Mej
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, OCR new spec sucks thats for sure!!
missbrowneyes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LearningMath)
Given that we tend to only do one exam board, it's impossible to make a comparison. But i'm sure you'l recieve a wealth of uninformed responses anyway! :p:
All you really have to do is look at past papers along with mark schemes from different boards in different years. We do that a lot in school and it helps to see the difference.
emmalive
Report 10 years ago
sylabuses are all quite similar...but check out the courseworks needed for each sylabbus. THis might help you decide.
Becky21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not AQA unless you want to waste your time doing how science works questions and not get the biology grade you deserve. OCR seems to be well respected by most people.
LearningMath
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by missbrowneyes)
All you really have to do is look at past papers along with mark schemes from different boards in different years. We do that a lot in school and it helps to see the difference.
Of course you can see differences, but it says nothing of the comparative ease/enjoyment the board gives. Something you're only going to be able comment on having been taught and examined according to that board for 2 years.

Just look at the responses, 'OCR new spec sucks', 'do not do SNAB edexcel', 'DO NOT DO WJEC', 'AQA is stooooopid'.

I rest my case.
ZJ4GK
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Avoid Edexcel SNAB, loads of ****** 'core practicals' a ****** resource website and annoying coursework in AS and A2.
cousto
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol am I the only one who likes snab......come on guys you don't have to do the core practicals, CGP takes care of that
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OCR's course is cool, but they screwed us over this January with a bizarre paper. The official textbooks for OCR are written to the specification so they're all you need...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed