Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Trying learning a thing or two about statistics. A sample of over 200-300 (regardless of the population from which it is drawn), if done correctly, can predict an outcome to within 4-5%.
    That can't be proved, its completely random. Yes it could predict to within 4-5% of reality, it could also predict the complete opposite of reality.

The only scientific fact is that the more samples are taken, the more reliable the results will be. 500 interviewed/2,000,000 Muslims = 0.00025

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Will you consider yourself British when the passport arrives in the post?
    No. It's not that I don't consider myself British in a negative way, It's just that I wasn't born here and in a way I don't feel like I am totally accepted here, not that I hate this country and therefore refuse to ever be a part of it, I was born Somalian, and I'll die Somalian.

How does that make it illegitimate?
    It was illegitimate, but I recognise that most Israelis don't agree with poor treatment of Palestinians. Besides I as I think the United states was illegitimate, but countries can gain legitimacy over time, otherwise things would be very confusing. The facts are that Israeli Jews have been born in Israel and have known no other home and I believe that the majority of Israelis and Palestinians fear and anger has been used by both sides and that there can be a solution.

ReputationRep:
    Why not tell a statistician that their field is useless? Just because you don't know how polls are done, doesn't mean that they are not done correctly.
    How do you know how that particular poll was done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    How do you know how that particular poll was done?
    Any credible poll includes the methodology used to gather the information. In this case:

The sampling methodology used is random digit dialling. This means the sample is made up of people who are telephoned using randomly-generated numbers from published telephone number sources with repeat calling on up to eight occasions if there is no reply.

In short, it means that it is just as good to conduct two days’ worth of interviewing of 500 people in order to reach a sample of 1000 as it would be to survey 1000 people in one evening.

Quotas are put on age, sex, housing tenure and standard geographical regions. The resulting data are weighted to be representative of the adult population within a 56 cell weighting matrix, made up of sex, age, tenure and class within region and separate weights on work status, car ownership and taking of foreign holidays in the last three years.
    Source

The poll itself is here.

ReputationRep:
    Any credible poll includes the methodology used to gather the information. In this case:

Source

The poll itself is here.
    That's all very well, but one cannot erradicate the fact that its all affected by chance in the end.

ReputationRep:
    That's all very well, but one cannot erradicate the fact that its all affected by chance in the end.
    Most polls on done on the 95% confidence interval, with a 3-4% margin of error. That means that there is a 95% chance that the results of the poll are within 3-4% of the results shown by the data.

ReputationRep:
    Whats peace loving about beating your wife and establishing a global caliphate?
    A majority of Muslims dont actually find the extremists extreme. 32% believe that the West is immoral and its culture should be brought to an end. Almost half would consider becoming a Palestinian suicide bomber. A quarter sympathise with the London bombers. A majority can understand the London bombers. 20% feels no loyalty to Britain, 12% consider themselves British.
    Why did you fail to mention that the first question on the poll shows that 91% are against what the bombers did? Where have you got your stats from that say that "32% believe that the West is immoral and its culture should be brought to an end", "half would consider becoming a Palestinian suicide bomber"? "A quarter sympathise with the London bombers. A majority can understand the London bombers." both seem to be heavily countered by my aforementioned stat (91%) as well.

I'm not surprised you were hesitant to provide any source.

ReputationRep:
    Whats peace loving about beating your wife and establishing a global caliphate?
    A majority of Muslims dont actually find the extremists extreme. 32% believe that the West is immoral and its culture should be brought to an end. Almost half would consider becoming a Palestinian suicide bomber. A quarter sympathise with the London bombers. A majority can understand the London bombers. 20% feels no loyalty to Britain, 12% consider themselves British.
    give it a rest vienna

ReputationRep:
    vienna you are unnecessarily argumentative in almost every post i've seen you make so far. try being a little more open minded and please stop arguing just for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkchips)
    vienna you are unnecessarily argumentative in almost every post i've seen you make so far. try being a little more open minded and please stop arguing just for the sake of it.
    You must have copied one of my replies

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4740015.stm

Inevitable I suppose, being that there are so many unable to distinguish between a normal peace loving Muslim and an extremist.
    Attacks is a misleading phrase.

Fact is that the vast majority of it has been verbal abuse.

Physical beatings have been far rarer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkchips)
    Its a debate forum. Argument is hardly out of place... in fact its a necessary component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    No. It's not that I don't consider myself British in a negative way, It's just that I wasn't born here and in a way I don't feel like I am totally accepted here, not that I hate this country and therefore refuse to ever be a part of it, I was born Somalian, and I'll die Somalian.
    So why are you applying for British citizenship? I have no intention of applying to become a French citizen because I simply dont consider myself one.

ReputationRep:
    Its an interesting poll. Clearly it isnt conclusive proof - but it does confirm something that one might have suspected; namely that there is a surprisingly large level of sympathy for suicide bombings among the Muslim community. Note the word SYMPATHY. I am not saying that they promote it, or are involved with it, but that they feel in a sense that it is somewhat justified, or at the very least, solely a result of western "evil".

As to the "changing of culture" point, I would have to agree that if you asked that question to most middle Englander's you would get a similar answer. The issue though is what they want to see it replaced with. Most non Muslims who lament the culture of the UK want to simply see a return to a culture of respect, personal responsibility, and less excess. They do NOT want sharia law and a caliphate - they value personal freedom and Millian Liberalism. Many Muslims feel otherwise.

Also - there is nothing wrong per se with saying that those who feel no allegiance to this country should leave. That those who do not feel beholden to its laws and institutions should leave... how can anyone take issue with that notion? The issue one might take is with the effect of publicly making that point. Clearly that is never going to materialise - thus is it really advisable to say such inflammatory things for absolutely no gain?

ReputationRep:
    So why are you applying for British citizenship? I have no intention of applying to become a French citizen because I simply dont consider myself one.
    Simply put: It will make life easier.

I would imagine thats the reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Its an interesting poll. Clearly it isnt conclusive proof - but it does confirm something that one might have suspected; namely that there is a surprisingly large level of sympathy for suicide bombings among the Muslim community. Note the word SYMPATHY. I am not saying that they promote it, or are involved with it, but that they feel in a sense that it is somewhat justified, or at the very least, solely a result of western "evil".
    For the sake of clarity, which part of the poll are you looking at when you say this?

ReputationRep:
    ...and this is why attacks have increased:

Quoting Ayman al-Zawahri:

"Blair has brought you destruction to the heart of London, and he will bring more destruction, God willing."

good old religion, never ceasing to end lives. It's leading Muslims making statements like these that means every day brits are going to seek revenge. What do you expect us to do?

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    ...and this is why attacks have increased:

Quoting Ayman al-Zawahri:

"Blair has brought you destruction to the heart of London, and he will bring more destruction, God willing."
    Are you trying to say that a comment like this from one man justifies the increase in attacks, or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Are you trying to say that a comment like this from one man justifies the increase in attacks, or what?
    *slow claps*

I've see you've grasped reading.

That and other factors, like the killing of these innocent people: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ms/default.stm

You've got to question Muslims when a prominent (not any old man) one starts preaching that crap. Remember, what he says, a lot of Muslims will do. Not all, but a lot.

Open your eyes.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    *slow claps*

I've see you've grasped reading.

That and other factors, like the killing of these innocent people: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ms/default.stm

You've got to question Muslims when a prominent (not any old man) one starts preaching that crap. Remember, what he says, a lot of Muslims will do. Not all, but a lot.

Open your eyes.

Andrew
    You obviously don't understand Islam, this man isn't the pope, anyone can say they're 'prominant'.

I, myself as a 'prominant' figure in the muslim community, demand that all attacks on Britain stop.

Happy now?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.