The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've heard of it .

:-)
Reply 21
homoterror
Yep it certainly does have an excellent reputation amongst people here. I have a Berkeley tshirt :biggrin: People in Cambridge occasionally stop me and ask if I'm a student there. Always rather awkward. For your recommendation I'd recommend a London University, well LSE since you mention Economics/History. However I'm sure I needn't say that for anybody getting an offer for the LSE would be difficult. There are other good unis in London, UCL, Kings? You might want to consider Oxbridge. Oxford is more urban. But you might still prefer Cambridge and I feel you should have a look at it =P

Actually Berkeley does the study abroad program with LSE, but I don't know if that means we're automatically accepted to go, or it's just a possibility and you still have to apply...

Thanks for all the feedback!

Riccardo--I think you'll like it here. It's definitely a very active school--we have speeches/strikes/many different organizations. Plus Berkeley the place itself is unique--especially the homeless living on the streets or in People's Park. It'll be very different from studying elsewhere.
SlyPie
Actually Berkeley does the study abroad program with LSE, but I don't know if that means we're automatically accepted to go, or it's just a possibility and you still have to apply...

Thanks for all the feedback!

Riccardo--I think you'll like it here. It's definitely a very active school--we have speeches/strikes/many different organizations. Plus Berkeley the place itself is unique--especially the homeless living on the streets or in People's Park. It'll be very different from studying elsewhere.

Has anyone looked at SlyPie's signature? I have a hard time believing that someone who has already looked up their university on the THES tables would then need to ask whether or not it is well respected abroad. Very interesting...
From across the Bay...
GO STANFORD
Reply 23
Berkeley is quite well known in the computing scene. The BSD UNIX operating system was developed there, amongst other things.
Reply 24
shady lane
Has anyone looked at SlyPie's signature? I have a hard time believing that someone who has already looked up their university on the THES tables would then need to ask whether or not it is well respected abroad. Very interesting...
From across the Bay...
GO STANFORD

Ok you're obviously new to this. I started this thread before my signature among other things. (Ask others on this site.) Anyway....moving on.
Reply 25
SlyPie
I am an American and I am currently studying at the University of California, Berkeley. I was wondering what its reputation is abroad??

Also, I want to study abroad for one year but I'm unsure what university would fit me best.

I'd prefer a more urban, top ranked university with strong economics and history....

Any feedback will be appreciated.

I've never heard of it. I'm sure my OC-loving boyfriend will have though.

Come to Cambridge! You get to wear a gown and get w*nkered on cheap cheap wine. :yy:

Edit: Warwick is a campus university. I wasn't a fan.
SlyPie
Ok you're obviously new to this. I started this thread before my signature among other things. (Ask others on this site.) Anyway....moving on.

Yes clearly I'm new to this, I can't say that I've been tracking your posts and comparing your signatures from previous messages.

In my experience with Berkeley students, they seem to constantly want validation that their school is good, when everyone already knows that Berkeley is good. There has never been any debate about that, I don't think.
Well anyway I'm sure you'll be fine getting into grad school.
Reply 27
shady lane
Yes clearly I'm new to this, I can't say that I've been tracking your posts and comparing your signatures from previous messages.

In my experience with Berkeley students, they seem to constantly want validation that their school is good, when everyone already knows that Berkeley is good. There has never been any debate about that, I don't think.
Well anyway I'm sure you'll be fine getting into grad school.

Well I don't know about that. I've never understood the lure about the infamous rivalry or the Big Game or any of that. It seems irrelevant as both schools are good, especially for graduate school.

As for the person who negatively repped me on my last post in this thread...you can at least sign for it you coward or else you're simply justifying my signature even more! Don't hide behind anonymity.

Edit: To the person who neg. repped me on my last post and your anonymous message : Frankly I don't care whether or not you like my attitude, as I'm not Barney here to amuse you and make you feel better about yourself.
Reply 28
SlyPie
I am an American and I am currently studying at the University of California, Berkeley. I was wondering what its reputation is abroad??

Also, I want to study abroad for one year but I'm unsure what university would fit me best.

I'd prefer a more urban, top ranked university with strong economics and history....

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Hmm, never heard of it, unless its like that UCLA thing that is in legally blonde. :biggrin:
Reply 29
Everdawn
Hmm, never heard of it, unless its like that UCLA thing that is in legally blonde. :biggrin:

Haha no..We're better than them (ok we are, but that's besides the point). Those damn Bruins--stealing our mascot.

UCLA is a jock school, but it has a great medical school, and many movies are filmed there.

Actually, I originally was going to go there, until I visited the campus. It's beautiful, but I couldn't see 5 feet beyond in the smog....haha

Edit: You're from South Africa? Maybe that's why the name isn't recognized there.....However a guy from Egypt knew it..so I don't know.
Reply 30
No, im an Australian but i have South African family, infact ive just come back form a holiday there today.
Reply 31
Berkleys is one of the best uni's in the world, let alone america.

For UK, i recommend Oxbridge, LSE and UCL.
Reply 32
SlyPie
Well I don't know about that. I've never understood the lure about the infamous rivalry or the Big Game or any of that. It seems irrelevant as both schools are good, especially for graduate school.

As for the person who negatively repped me on my last post in this thread...you can at least sign for it you coward or else you're simply justifying my signature even more! Don't hide behind anonymity.

Edit: To the person who neg. repped me on my last post and your anonymous message : Frankly I don't care whether or not you like my attitude, as I'm not Barney here to amuse you and make you feel better about yourself.

Lol, a tab hater. I'm not surprised you're getting negative rep, and your attitude does leave something to be desired - manners. You do know this forum was created by a Cambridge student? Yes, d is a tab. Oh, and I think your signature is supposed to read "excepted", not "accepted" :wink: Although the 25% is missing a factor of around 3.6... It's quite amusing really: you don't really have any founding on which to base your "facts", because you've never been to Oxbridge. So I suggest you reserve judgement until then.
Lauren
Lol, a tab hater. I'm not surprised you're getting negative rep, and your attitude does leave something to be desired - manners. You do know this forum was created by a Cambridge student? Yes, d is a tab. Oh, and I think your signature is supposed to read "excepted", not "accepted" :wink: Although the 25% is missing a factor of around 3.6... It's quite amusing really: you don't really have any founding on which to base your "facts", because you've never been to Oxbridge. So I suggest you reserve judgement until then.

To be fair there are plenty of arrogant ******s at cambridge and oxford that do give it a bad name. It really isn't on in this day and age to look down on people because they didn't "go up" to oxbridge.
Reply 34
Lauren

Actually I have been to Oxford
And I mean ACCEPTED not excepted.

25% are ACCEPTED...as in it's not as selective as you think it is. DUH!!

Honestly how difficult is it to understand 25% of the applicants are ACCEPTED?
Reply 35
ChemistBoy
To be fair there are plenty of arrogant ******s at cambridge and oxford that do give it a bad name. It really isn't on in this day and age to look down on people because they didn't "go up" to oxbridge.

thats a bit of an unfair generalisation don't you think?
SlyPie
Actually I have been to Oxford
And I mean ACCEPTED not excepted.

25% are ACCEPTED...as in it's not as selective as you think it is. DUH!!

Honestly how difficult is it to understand 25% of the applicants are ACCEPTED?

The pressue for top university places in the UK isn't anywhere near as much as for the US top universities - essentially we have more good universities per capita here.
ramroff
thats a bit of an unfair generalisation don't you think?

Nope, I've met plenty of ******s that do exactly that. They may be in a minority, but it is a high visibility minority.
Reply 38
ChemistBoy
The pressue for top university places in the UK isn't anywhere near as much as for the US top universities - essentially we have more good universities per capita here.

Ah, well we have a lot more competitors/applicants. We also focus on extracurriculars and academics; it seems you guys only focus on academics.

But I'm just saying, honestly, no offense, but how can someone not realize I meant ACCEPTED? So f*cking dense...seriously. It cracks me up with their supposed "superiority" considering they don't realize I have been to Oxford and I did live in the UK for a while.
Reply 39
ChemistBoy
Nope, I've met plenty of ******s that do exactly that. They may be in a minority, but it is a high visibility minority.

Not to mention 43% of them went to public schools (equivalent to American privates).

That's higher than any rate at Ivy League universities in America (including Harvard).

Latest

Trending

Trending