Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm surprised no1 has mentioned John Kay's "the truth about markets". i found it damned useful to read over 2nd year Alevel econ to get a higher level of understanding than the Alevel cource brings in. it's not 2 long or massively in depth, just points out some things u may not otherwise pick up, and ties things together.

i also read Macroeconomics by Mankiw - quite heavy reading at times, very american, but overlaps with parts of Alevel cource so u may find it useful. i felt alot more confident in my interview when between the 2 tutors it was sittin there on the bookshelf.. lol!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajeeb)
    I wouldn't stress about this too much guys (for E+M). Yes the reading list is long, but in the first few weeks everyone is in the same boat and the adrenalin/desire to me conscientious is high and gets you through it. I didn't really do any prep at all and managed fine - if I were you i'd just enjoy your summer!
    Raj :eek: Didn't know you browsed outside T2U? How goes the summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Russell_G)
    i'm surprised no1 has mentioned John Kay's "the truth about markets". i found it damned useful to read over 2nd year Alevel econ to get a higher level of understanding than the Alevel cource brings in. it's not 2 long or massively in depth, just points out some things u may not otherwise pick up, and ties things together.

i also read Macroeconomics by Mankiw - quite heavy reading at times, very american, but overlaps with parts of Alevel cource so u may find it useful. i felt alot more confident in my interview when between the 2 tutors it was sittin there on the bookshelf.. lol!!
    It's *the* first year Macro book Didn't realise it helped with A levels, degree economics is very different - Mankiw's a lot into IS-LM, growth models, etc. and not so much the discussion. Though I suppose the unemployment and other bits might be useful

ReputationRep:
    yer i found knowin the ins n outs of IS-LM really helped with the A2 papers coz the model is mentioned but not properly explained and generally if u can throw in a working is-lm model in an Alevel paper it'll score nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Quite impressive. I had no idea what IS-LM was at A levels, but then I was far more into the argumentative side at the time. Nice extra reading! :yy:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.