10,000 steps a day Watch

This discussion is closed.
JonnyB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Erm, Glory, you are MEANT TO SWEAT when you are working out. That's the point. Get used to working out in public, and join a gym.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Our genes are programmed to do the opposite, we are supposed to do exercise, in the caveman days we would of be walking and running for hours everyday, and that need hasn't changed that much in modern times, its only the last 100 years, since the invention of the car, that people have got bloody lazy.
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've only managed to do the full 10,000 about 5 times in about 6months..I usually get to about 8,000 and then do sod all for the rest of the evening or take my pedometer off so I forget what I've done.
rock_tenth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
imasillynarb - at the times in history when humans were very active, they had to be in order to survive. It makes sense to me that it would be advantageous for those people to have a tendancy to avoid activity unless it was "necessary", since food and **** wasnt unlimited.

In your last post you mentioned a "need" to exercise - you mean for proper ownage functioning of our body? If so, then thats different to our psychological aversion to exercise - which would not have caused problems over most of history because we HAD TO do exercise anyway - and got enough because of that.

it seems reasonable that we are "programmed" to avoid exercise when its not gonna have immidiate survival benefits and ****. Its a ****ing weak excuse for people to use though, especially if they try to turn it into a like "exercises is unnatural and MORALLY WRONG1!!1on2" ****.
Glory
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by rock_tenth)
imasillynarb - at the times in history when humans were very active, they had to be in order to survive. It makes sense to me that it would be advantageous for those people to have a tendancy to avoid activity unless it was "necessary", since food and **** wasnt unlimited.

In your last post you mentioned a "need" to exercise - you mean for proper ownage functioning of our body? If so, then thats different to our psychological aversion to exercise - which would not have caused problems over most of history because we HAD TO do exercise anyway - and got enough because of that.

it seems reasonable that we are "programmed" to avoid exercise when its not gonna have immidiate survival benefits and ****. Its a ****ing weak excuse for people to use though, especially if they try to turn it into a like "exercises is unnatural and MORALLY WRONG1!!1on2" ****.

i agree with what youve said, im not saying exercise is un-natural, and i dont think the show was either, they just were trying to explain why 20 mil pounds are wasted on unused gym memberships and exercise equipment such as bikes and fitness videos/dvds.

I just need some sort of exercise that im gonna be able to commit to and not get bored of or become lazy about. I think walking might be the best way to go about it, thats why i started the thread to see if there are any fellow 10kers out there to see how they feel it has changed their fitness and wellbeing.
rock_tenth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
werd, I wasnt thinking of you or the show when I made that post, just it would be gay for someone to make that kinda excuse

what I didnt like about the show was that it equated fitness with endurance ****, like jogging. All tv **** that mentions fitness seems to connect those two things. I dont remember a mention of anything like weight lifting

while walking loads may help in fat loss and ****, id never consider it to improve my "fitness", for me. Surely most people arent in such poor condition for a normal days walking (and 10k throughout the day, on easy ground isnt really that h4rdcore is it) to have a noticeable effect on their "fitness", whatever fitness is anyway
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads