I feel bad...[because i laughed at a fat person] Watch

This discussion is closed.
adamu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ntrik)
Theres nothing wrong with laughing at obese people (while they're not looking!).
Are you thinking about what your actually saying? Can you not see a problem with it at all? I just dont understand people like you..
ntrik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by adamu)
Are you thinking about what your actually saying? Can you not see a problem with it at all? I just dont understand people like you..
I'm saying that theres no point beating yourself about it just because you laughed at a fat person. Afterall she thought it was so awful that she felt the need to post it on TSR. I'm re-assuring her and saying its is okay because there are worse crimes out there
Gem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think its terrible that people are actually trying to justify laughing at an obese person, if they said they laughed at someone because they were disabled or a different race, would you still say 'thats ok as long as they didn't notice?' There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Some people have illnesses that make them put on weight, whilst others just eat too much/exercise too little, but it doesn't make them any less of a person, and it's certainly not excuse to laugh at them. Obese people have feeling too and I think you should remember that. :mad:
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Naxalite)
Because I laughed at an obese girl the other day, well it wasn't really a laugh but more of an exclamation like "gosh"... but not quite.
well, Tenacuois D are cool and funny, and they're fat...
so's the fat guy from Bowling For Soup, and the fat guy from HIM, and the fat guy from Chimaira, and the fat guy from Turbonegro, and the fat guy from Slayer...

allow me to demonstrate...

http://www.bamfan.com/fatboyfaceoff04.jpg
http://www.bamfan.com/bam_story2.gif
ntrik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by * gemchicken *)
I think its terrible that people are actually trying to justify laughing at an obese person, if they said they laughed at someone because they were disabled or a different race, would you still say 'thats ok as long as they didn't notice?' There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Some people have illnesses that make them put on weight, whilst others just eat too much/exercise too little, but it doesn't make them any less of a person, and it's certainly not excuse to laugh at them. Obese people have feeling too and I think you should remember that. :mad:
I'm sorry, you're right.

Naxalite - You're a terrible human being. I don't know how you can sleep at night :mad:
rock_tenth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by * gemchicken *)
if they said they laughed at someone because they were disabled or a different race, would you still say 'thats ok as long as they didn't notice?'
yes

everything is funny, everythings a joke, its all good
Id like to think that if i was notably different to others, I would amuse people because of it
ntrik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heres how I look at things...

"Laugh at someone because of the way they look" - Yeah its a bit harsh because they're 10 stones overweight or 3ft tall/short or whatever but I wouldn't feel bad about it.

"Laugh at a fat girl right in her ****ING face" - Now you're just being a ******** and I would feel bad about it. I have to say that I wouldn't laugh at someone in their face in that way unless they were thick skinned* (lol).

*I was just joking about that last bit so don't go all 'internet moral crusader' on me.
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm.

I think some people are judging Naxalite too quickly. Some of you may be able to look at an overweight or obese person and look at them in the same way as any other person, but a lot of people (me included) do sometimes vocalise, as in, "gosh, she was quite large".

And yes, you do feel guilty about it (I know I do, as I would hate for people to comment on me were I obese) but you do it. You're human, you're infallible, you are not always nice. I applaud Naxalite for saying that she felt guilty, and for opening up the discussion.
emily87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maybe fat people should be publically laughed at and condemned in order to shame (those who can lose weight) to lose weight? It is good for the health of the population for society to mock fat people!

[/devil's advocate]
Annik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
dont worry.. when im wiv one of my gay friends..hes the worst!! he thinks fat people should pay more taxes coz they take up more room and break chairs and wear out the floor more :eek:
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You shouldn't feel bad otherwise overweight people might think they are making people feel bad just by going around everyday and Im sure that would damage there confidence.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maybe fat people should be publically laughed at and condemned in order to shame (those who can lose weight) to lose weight? It is good for the health of the population for society to mock fat people!
I find it unbelievable that anyone could suggest that those who laugh at obese people are doing it for any reason other than to fuel their own inferiority complex and so improve their own well being - not the well being of the person suffering from obesity.
If laughed at obese people are actually more likely to comfort eat and so their condition will worsen.

It seems quite strange that in the present age smoking, taking drugs and excessive alcohol consumption are all tolerated with little comment yet obese people are ridiculed when their condition causes no harm to others.
eggnog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd never laugh at a fat person, since when I was fat I was laughed at, and it hurt, but fat people never get my full respect.
third_and_first
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you feel bad for behaving the way nature intended?
don't make me laugh at you.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
I find it unbelievable that anyone could suggest that those who laugh at obese people are doing it for any reason other than to fuel their own inferiority complex and so improve their own well being - not the well being of the person suffering from obesity.
If laughed at obese people are actually more likely to comfort eat and so their condition will worsen.

It seems quite strange that in the present age smoking, taking drugs and excessive alcohol consumption are all tolerated with little comment yet obese
people are ridiculed when their condition causes no harm to others.
They're not really tolerated, some people could see it the otherway round, with smokers being forced to stand outside, drugs being illegal, adverts against smoking and drugs and also drink driving a lot whereas being obese isn't against the law.
_poptart_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emily87)

[/devil's advocate]
haha

*ahem* of course its a horrible thing to be laughed at but its not as if they intentionally took the piss out of the fat person due to a "inferiority complex".
i think people need to relax a little bit and realise that it wasnt done with evil intent.
After all, if you saw a hugely obese person that was out of ordinary, it would be hard not to say "gosh!"
I think people on here are treating Naxalite like some kind of bully! id understand their comments if they shouted abuse at this person, but they didnt.

Believe me, I know how it feels to be commented on by strangers for the way you look, but the type of people that do that would be a bit more verbally abusive than Naxalite was.
So give em a break please! They have said they felt guilty, what more do you want?! :p:
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does being fat really harm other people? Drink driving can kill other people, alcohol and other drugs can affect your behaviour, there are issues around secondhand smoke, whereas banning obesity (aside from the impracticality of enforcing such a ban) would be like banning ugly people.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Does being fat really harm other people? Drink driving can kill other people, alcohol and other drugs can affect your behaviour, there are issues around secondhand smoke, whereas banning obesity (aside from the impracticality of enforcing such a ban) would be like banning ugly people.
Who wanted to ban fat people?
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silent p......?)
Who wanted to ban fat people?
Didn't you say something about obesity not being against the law? I was just explaining why.
veryrandom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't understand why some of you are making a big deal out of it. People get laughed at everyday, for various reasons, whether they are fat, stupid, etc. It happens, it's part of life, get over it. At least she wasn't shouting abuse at her. Some random girl today shouted slut at me from a car, sure it was mean, but life moves on. And if Naxalite feels guilty, and admits she feels bad about it, let's not have a dig at her and just accept that she made a mistake
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1279)
79.74%
Leave (325)
20.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed