I feel bad...[because i laughed at a fat person] Watch

This discussion is closed.
third_and_first
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
anyone who says it's wrong to laugh at fat people is likely to be about 30 stone themselves. Remember that.
veryrandom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by third_and_first)
anyone who says it's wrong to laugh at fat people is likely to be about 30 stone themselves. Remember that.
Agreed.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Didn't you say something about obesity not being against the law? I was just explaining why.
I meant that there is more pressure on smokers and alcoholics and drug users to stop then obese people, and there is also a lot of criticism of the smokers to their face compared to fat people, who get talked about behind their back, which I think is a worse thing then telling them to their face.
SlyPie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

As an American, I ask.. a small stone or a large stone? hahaha

Ok, this isn't nearly as bad as my boyfriend.

We were in a store and there was a 2 year old boy about 2 feet away from us. He exclaimed "That is the ugliest kid I have ever seen". The mother was about 3 feet away.

On a ship, there was one of those babies that look like old men. (With the oddly aged face.) I don't know if you understand what I mean? Anyway, my boyfriend and his friend put their pinkies to the side of their mouths like "mini-me" from Austin Powers everytime the baby and his father would pass us by.

Ok, at the expense of sounding like I only befriend "polite" people, here is another story. At my university, my friend and I were walking down the street when a midget walks by us. My friend stops, points, and says "hey, did you see that?" And then turns his head and continues looking.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Like I said, that's because smoking/drinking/using drugs has more of an effect on society than obesity does. Ok, it isn't good for your personal health, but as long as you're aware of the health risks, then it's your choice (assuming it's the eating too much/not enough exercise kind of obesity, rather than due to a medical condition).
Does telling someone that you think they're fat have any real benefits? Generally, if someone really is fat he'll already know about it, so you telling him will just make him feel bad.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does telling someone that you think they're fat have any real benefits? Generally, if someone really is fat he'll already know about it, so you telling him will just make him feel bad.
What I don't understand is if he already knows he's fat, then why would he take offense at someone telling him he's fat? I mean, it'd be fact.
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Because it would make him progress from 'I think I'm fat' to 'Oh my god, I'm so fat that people come up to on the street and tell me how fat I am'.
jo131278
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hi, i think its wrong 2 laugh at people i'm overweight and the simple reason is i need 2 take 16 tablets everyday to stop me having fits in which i could die. These are the only tablets that work. So just think b4 u say horrible stuff!!!!!!!!!!1
luv jo.x
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Because it would make him progress from 'I think I'm fat' to 'Oh my god, I'm so fat that people come up to on the street and tell me how fat I am'.
Well, ok. People are pathetic and easily criticize others.

I've had people come up to me asking me if I was anorexic--people from university, not off the streets. I'm 110 lbs--that's not anorexic. It's not my problem they don't have a metabolism. With a metabolism, I can eat whatever I want, not exercise, and stay this weight. Hell, I eat even more than them.

Frankly, that fat guy should just reply with a sarcastic remark. Most people can't respond afterwards.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Like I said, that's because smoking/drinking/using drugs has more of an effect on society than obesity does. Ok, it isn't good for your personal health, but as long as you're aware of the health risks, then it's your choice (assuming it's the eating too much/not enough exercise kind of obesity, rather than due to a medical condition).
I wouldn't say that obesity's affect on society aren't big because there are also lot of health problems, and they don't get taxed for it, so they won't be paying as much for any problems they might have. I don't think telling someone that they're fat to their face will help them, but it might get them thinking that they don't want to take this rubbish anymore and start exercising, or explain that its genetic. This is already used on smokers, apart from they have less exscuses.
Glory
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the reason i said you shouldnt laff isnt cos im fat, im a healthy size but i would prefer be healther. Is cos i was bullied at school, laffed at/pushed/hit for no real reason and i think its a pretty shallow and spineless thing to do when you dont know the person or why they are in that state.

I know some people need to take pills to keep them alive which makes them feel like they need to eat more or just make them put weight on as a side effect.

Anyone who thinks its funny cos someone is fat, might be right saying its their own fault but might not be.. In some cases i think the person laffing needs to get a reality check and grow up.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you feel bad laughing at a fat person, wait to see how it feels when a fat person laughs at you
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most people know that the genetic stuff is just bullsh*t, so anyone using that as an excuse is simply kidding himself.
Do you think people are fat because they don't know any better? Plenty of people would love to lose weight, but lack the time to exercise in any meaningful way. If someone's already feeling bad about being fat, he'll hardly feel in a position to reply with a sarcastic remark.
Your point about tax is a difficult one. But why should fat people be charged for their medical treatment for conditions caused by their obesity when smokers/drinkers/drug users aren't? Even if we charged all those people, how could we determine whether or not their conditions had been caused by their drinking/smoking/obesity/whatever? What if their drinking/smoking/obesity had maybe contributed to their needing medical treatment, but hadn't directly caused it? What if two people had both smoked/drunk/eaten too much and now had some smoking/drinking/eating-related condition, but one was genetically pre-disposed to that condition? How could you work out to what extent their lifestyle choices had affected their health? Or would you also tax those thoughtless parents who stupidly passed on their genes so that their children would also suffer from their conditions and the taxpayer would have to fund their treatment? It seems fair enough in priniple, but impossible to apply.
rock_tenth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Your point about tax is a difficult one. But why should fat people be charged for their medical treatment for conditions caused by their obesity when smokers/drinkers/drug users aren't?
smokers and drinkers ARE taxed when buying tobacco or booze. "Drugs" cant be taxed when their illegal
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rock_tenth)
smokers and drinkers ARE taxed when buying tobacco or booze. "Drugs" cant be taxed when their illegal
Is food not taxed? And I thought (see the rest of my post) we were debating charging people for medical treatment when they have caused their conditions.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most people know that the genetic stuff is just bullsh*t, so anyone using that as an excuse is simply kidding himself.
Do you think people are fat because they don't know any better? Plenty of people would love to lose weight, but lack the time to exercise in any meaningful way. If someone's already feeling bad about being fat, he'll hardly feel in a position to reply with a sarcastic remark.
Your point about tax is a difficult one. But why should fat people be charged for their medical treatment for conditions caused by their obesity when smokers/drinkers/drug users aren't? Even if we charged all those people, how could we determine whether or not their conditions had been caused by their drinking/smoking/obesity/whatever? What if their drinking/smoking/obesity had maybe contributed to their needing medical treatment, but hadn't directly caused it? What if two people had both smoked/drunk/eaten too much and now had some smoking/drinking/eating-related condition, but one was genetically pre-disposed to that condition? How could you work out to what extent their lifestyle choices had affected their health? Or would you also tax those thoughtless parents who stupidly passed on their genes so that their children would also suffer from their conditions and the taxpayer would have to fund their treatment? It seems fair enough in priniple, but impossible to apply.
There is a tax on ciggarettes and alcohol, and drugs are illegal already, so they are charged. There is a tax on food, but it is much lower then smoking/drinking, and also, everyone has to eat to live. Im saying that obese people don't have the law against them, they just have society against them, it is harder to succeed in life if you are obese compared to being a smoker or drinker.
rock_tenth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is food not taxed? And I thought (see the rest of my post) we were debating charging people for medical treatment when they have caused their conditions.
i dont understand this post really...

since smoking and drinking are taxed, that money can be put into the NHS which treats them.. is that what you were asking about just then?
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think thats the case. It more to do with the fact that they have manners and have been brought up to respect people no matter what they look like. I pity the people who are so small minded that they judge people on looks.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by * gemchicken *)
I don't think thats the case. It more to do with the fact that they have manners and have been brought up to respect people no matter what they look like. I pity the people who are so small minded that they judge people on looks.
It'd be naive not to judge people on looks even a little bit, most people's impressions of other people are formed in the first 90 seconds of meeting someone and how someone presents themselves can tell you quite a lot about them.
rock_tenth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by * gemchicken *)
I pity the people who are so small minded that they judge people on looks.
can you expand on that a bit for me - its the kinda thing a lot of people say but really I dont understand what you mean

what is it to "judge" someone in this sense
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (753)
80.36%
Leave (184)
19.64%

Watched Threads