how many people got into oxbridge from your state/public school? Watch

This discussion is closed.
H&E
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Um. Not especially good, no. Just bog-standard, really. My school does not believe in supply teachers, for a start, which was great when my history teacher was away for the six months before my a level history exam...it's also notorious for some *problems*, and as I've stated before, no walk through the corridor is complete without some little idiot striking a match on the wall...Also, because my school wouldn't provide lessons, I had to teach *myself* two of my A levels...so erm...not good really.
I don't think the issue is eduational standards. Like I say, many posh schools are embarrasingly average/poor academically. In fact, many kids wouldn't be there if they'd not failed the grammar school entrance test. This woman I was speaking to literally believed sending her kids to a local state school equated to ensuring they regularly used cannabis and occasionally harder drugs by 16.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
You, as I have done, have to ask yourself was that the school or the teachers you've had along the way though.
Certainly wasn't the teachers, as you know.

For two of my subjects, I didn't even *have* teachers..make that three if you count history...so erm, well...I guess I did it myself. Hell, I'll home educate my children :p: Make 'em read books!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
I don't think the issue is eduational standards. Like I say, many posh schools are embarrasingly average/poor academically. In fact, many kids wouldn't be there if they'd not failed the grammar school entrance test. This woman I was speaking to literally believed sending her kids to a local state school equated to ensuring they regularly used cannabis and occasionally harder drugs by 16.
If she was a good parent, that wouldn't happen. Just because people around you are using drugs or getting into crime doesn't mean you have to, and if you've been brought up right, you won't.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maybe she's not 100% confident of her parenting.

Maybe she realises parenting isn't everything and school environment also has a lot to do with it.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Maybe she's not 100% confident of her parenting.

Maybe she realises parenting isn't everything and school environment also has a lot to do with it.
I'd say parenting has more to do with it though, considering that in most cases of teenage pregnancies, yobs etc, the parents are just as bad. Obviously there are cases where good parents produce bad children, but that's pretty rare.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, whatever. Clearly it happens, so my point stands: she may be exaggerating, but she's certainly not fabricating.
Queen_A
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Poorer, you know. Relatively poor. As in non-wealthy.

What are you thinking of applying for, btw? Take it it's not English lit...
Ouch.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not really. I just get annoyed with people who don't have the curtesy to write in English which is vaguely readable before posting all over the forum. Particularly when they're asking for advice/help.

Just like I was a bit miffed by that guy who started a new thread saying "I need help for my PS. Tell me about yourself so I know you're not trying to steal my ideas, then I'll email it you" as pretty much his first post. It's just not how you go about asking people for favours.
bohogirlie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only three got in this year from my school. A lot of people who everyone thought would get in just didn't. There was a lot of unhappiness!
crazygirl4521
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Poorer, you know. Relatively poor. As in non-wealthy.

What are you thinking of applying for, btw? Take it it's not English lit...
what are you trying to say
dancingqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Out of my year of about 100, 2/4 got into Oxford and 4/7 to Cambridge, but this year no one got in, and I think only one person applied! So it varies a lot. But our year was the first year to get more than 2 people into Oxbridge. Went to a very average comprehensive btw.
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by maze.e)
what are you trying to say
Maybe that you type like a moron?

Just guessin'
leavemealone
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Not really. I just get annoyed with people who don't have the curtesy to write in English which is vaguely readable before posting all over the forum. Particularly when they're asking for advice/help.

Just like I was a bit miffed by that guy who started a new thread saying "I need help for my PS. Tell me about yourself so I know you're not trying to steal my ideas, then I'll email it you" as pretty much his first post. It's just not how you go about asking people for favours.
I love it.

(I know you say vaguely readable but it's still funny)

(to me)
crazygirl4521
(Original post by RxB)
Maybe that you type like a moron?

Just guessin'
why are you getting involved for?
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I expected that, I was virtually certain I can't spell courtesy (is that right, btw?)

But you agree with me it didn't affect your comprehension of the sentence? You didn't have to read it about four times to understand what I was saying? Nor did you feel slightly hurt that anyone could abuse the English language so horribly?
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Because it's frustrating watching it.
crazygirl4521
(Original post by RxB)
Because it's frustrating watching it.
if it is frustrating to watch it then dont watch then and stop acting moody because im sorry if i am frustrating you i dont mean it
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
because we're all getting fed up with people not bothering to type proper sentences! I'm not saying you have to have amazing language skills (I certainly don't) but using correct grammar etc is just courteous. The quote above doesn't even read correctly! :rolleyes:
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh dear...I'll repeat myself, even though I posted this about six seconds ago:

I just get annoyed with people who don't have the curtesy to write in English which is vaguely readable before posting all over the forum. Particularly when they're asking for advice/help.
leavemealone
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
I expected that, I was virtually certain I can't spell courtesy (is that right, btw?)

But you agree with me it didn't affect your comprehension of the sentence? You didn't have to read it about four times to understand what I was saying? Nor did you feel slightly hurt that anyone could abuse the English language so horribly?
I implied my comments were cheap because I did include my noting of your 'vaguely readable' comment, a criterion your post more than fulfilled. So I've already answered this.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads