British stuff not available in the USA

Watch
Emily2402
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey TSR folk.

Basically I have looked high and low for sites to tell me what is british that you can't find in american but it seems none such site exists

my friend sent me chocolates from america for valentines day which was sweet, and i know she misses london, so i want to give her a taste of london or england in a parcel of sorts, and was going to surprise her with this.

so im asking does anyone know whats sort of items you can get here that you can't get in america that is sendable so 'm guessing food stuff but anything really, but trying to stay away from the typical chocolate since she got me that for valentines day and it just seems i'm returning the favour
Davidosh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cadburys isn't yet available but most types of chocolate that we have they dont as the Americans aren't as into chocolate as we are
Cesare Borgia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
PG Tips?

Imperial guilt?
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's all sorts - Pyjamas to Robinsons Squash to Walkers to Dairy Milk. Its very personal stuff to be honest - one person might really miss their Robinsons Orange, others will miss their M&S Pyjamas or their British pop CDs or their hob-nobs. I think it would be best if you asked your friend what she misses.

A better place to ask might be http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Davidosh)
Cadburys isn't yet available but most types of chocolate that we have they dont as the Americans aren't as into chocolate as we are
Yeah it is. It's quite expensive but most supermarkets have dairy milk bars.

Best British thing is fish and chips but I don't think that would send too well. :p:

Tea is a good one, American tea is crap. Liquorice allsorts if she likes liquorice and chewits
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cheese that isn't processed or in a can. I don't think she'd appreciate receiving a parcel of stilton though, so scratch that...
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The thing I missed the most living in the US was english eggs/bacon/tea/chocolate/cheese.
Emily2402
Rep:
?
thanks for your suggestions.

i agree that i would be best to ask her but the romantic in me suggests it should be a nice surprise :P since she asked me to take a few pics of london to email her, i thought i would go one better and send her a package with a taste of london, maybe a newspaper, since theyre totally different over there, some pictures, some chocolate and tea and some humbugs or rhubard and custard hard candy you get at the traditional british sweet stores but im stumped at that, no other ideas that could be added or replace one of mine
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Emily2402)

i agree that i would be best to ask her but the romantic in me suggests it should be a nice surprise :P since she asked me to take a few pics of london to email her, i thought i would go one better and send her a package with a taste of london, maybe a newspaper, since theyre totally different over there, some pictures, some chocolate and tea and some humbugs or rhubard and custard hard candy you get at the traditional british sweet stores but im stumped at that, no other ideas that could be added or replace one of mine
The Sun. :mmm:
sylarfangirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Emily2402)

Buy her some pick and mix! Maybe put a little bit of money in there too? I miss "proper money" when I'm away, haha.
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Yeah it is. It's quite expensive but most supermarkets have dairy milk bars.
It doesn't taste the same though!! I bought some when I was over there and if you read the packaging it's actually made by Hersheys I think (or another similar American company), so it's made over there most likely using a slightly different recipe.

It tastes kinda like Dairy Milk, but it's definitely not the same as what you buy in the UK
Emily2402
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
The Sun. :mmm:
hehe i know ur joking but i was actually considering that haha, might send the wrong message if im sending her pictures of other women who are nude haha still shocked they dont get it over there :P
alaroche
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not sure what British stuff isn't available in the US... but you know what the UK sorely needs?

I miss it so.
Emily2402
Rep:
?
(Original post by alaroche)
Not sure what British stuff isn't available in the US... but you know what the UK sorely needs?

I miss it so.
ooooh i miss it too! you know theres a shop in covent garden, that sells american, canadian and australian food and drink and thats one of them, also cybercandy, a website sells it, thats how much ive missed it haha
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by alaroche)

I miss it so.
It wouldn't taste like the US one; no high fructose corn syrup in UK soda.

(Original post by dobbs)
It doesn't taste the same though!! I bought some when I was over there and if you read the packaging it's actually made by Hersheys I think (or another similar American company), so it's made over there most likely using a slightly different recipe.

It tastes kinda like Dairy Milk, but it's definitely not the same as what you buy in the UK
I've never actually compared them.
username396452
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No hula hoops crisps and maltesers in the states, good and non-perishable
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My cousin (lives in Canada) has a thing for flying saucers.

Everytime we go to visit we have to get her some, and some strawberries and cream sweets.

From my visits to canada, I miss:

It may just be a Snickers, but there is something about them...
Emily2402
Rep:
?
(Original post by WaltzvWendt)
No hula hoops crisps and maltesers in the states, good and non-perishable
are you serious no maltesers ?!?!?!!?!
Tipsy101
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know a girl from America that uses Amazon, so that might give you a few ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tish+chocolate
cyderpunk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
16.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.6%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.4%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (6)
4.8%
I think it's an unfair expectation (31)
24.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.6%

Watched Threads