The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you did better than me on BMAT. I got 5 and 4.7, but what were ur gcse's and as's?? 2 be honest it was all about interview, bmat was just a pre-selection for interview. sorry 2 hear about ur rejection tho. im sure ull still be a great doctor. oxfords loss!
Reply 2
heya!

did you get in? - i'm so jealous!

i got 8 A*s and 2As at GCSEs and 4 As at ASs with full marks in three of my modules.

I'm a bit annoyed, as i really wanted to go to oxford, but i'll probably go to UCL instead...

Tom
Reply 3
Getting into oxbridge (for any subject, not just medicine) is a bit of a lottery I think. I know some extremely intelligent people who have been rejected! (yes I know you've heard this millions of times before)

Anyway my little sister is in year 13 applying this year, and she's applied for cambridge for medicine and got 6.3 in the first bit and 6.0 in the second in the entrance exam.. she's really worried (and it's actually unbearable to be around her at the moment as she will hear in about a week and won't stop talking about it!) I know I'm biased, but she's got 9 A*s and an A and all A's in AS (with full marks in over half her modules.. what a cow) and has lots of work experience, (oh and she isn't one of those dorky people with no life!) and if she doesn't get a place, I think it shows that getting into oxbridge requires LOTS of luck as well as intelligence!
Reply 4
m8s of mine got around 4.5 - 5.0 with 5A*/5A, the other 8a*/2A bith straight A at as, prediceted AAAA at A2 and didnt even get an interview at oxford for medicine (magdalen/brasenose colleges) becuase they said their BMAT and GCSE grades were too low!
Reply 5
emzie
m8s of mine got around 4.5 - 5.0 with 5A*/5A, the other 8a*/2A bith straight A at as, prediceted AAAA at A2 and didnt even get an interview at oxford for medicine (magdalen/brasenose colleges) becuase they said their BMAT and GCSE grades were too low!

Now that is scary...why not go to cambridge why choose oxfird?
Reply 6
Now that is scary...why not go to cambridge why choose oxfird?

To be honest, I don't think that the candidates expected so much pre-interview filtering this year. I've been surprised by the number of people rejected before interview.
Reply 7
yup, i got 4.7 and didnt get an interview.
only 1* at gcse tho which i assume is why!
:tongue: oh welll.. its made me realise that i dont actually want to do medicine at all and so im differing to apply for natsci next year!
Reply 8
misty
yup, i got 4.7 and didnt get an interview.
only 1* at gcse tho which i assume is why!
:tongue: oh welll.. its made me realise that i dont actually want to do medicine at all and so im differing to apply for natsci next year!

You may only have one A*, but I reckon if you were given an opportunity at interview you still could have got in to Oxford. I only have one A* and I got in. Good luck next year though :wink:
Reply 9
i know! which was very annoying.. if only id had an interview- thats what my teachers said, that if i had been given the chance then..
well done for getting in! and cheers x
Reply 10
you got in on only one A*!

I'm so jealous, and i do think that it is a bit unfair to let people in with one A* and to reject people with 8A*s - this suggests that selection is entirely dependent on the interview, which is an extremely biased way of selecting candidates. My first interview on the second day went very badly, because i was the first person and had only just woken up, the rest went ok. Do think it is right to reject someone just because they messed up one interview, and then let someone in who has much less impressive set of grades, and who did worse or certainly no better on the BMAT?
Reply 11
TomB2000
you got in on only one A*!

I'm so jealous, and i do think that it is a bit unfair to let people in with one A* and to reject people with 8A*s - this suggests that selection is entirely dependent on the interview, which is an extremely biased way of selecting candidates. My first interview on the second day went very badly, because i was the first person and had only just woken up, the rest went ok. Do think it is right to reject someone just because they messed up one interview, and then let someone in who has much less impressive set of grades, and who did worse or certainly no better on the BMAT?

FOR THE 10, 000TH TIME, OXBRIDGE ADMISSIONS IS A SHOCKING FARCE, DOES NOBODY UNDERSTAND THIS, OR DO THEY JUST RELY ON MORE AVERAGE PEOPLE GETTING INTO OXBRIGE AND THE AMAZING ONES GETTIN REJECTED?

ITS A FARCE. YOU SHUD EASILY HAVE GOTTEN AN OFFER - REALLY
Reply 12
Leanna1013
Getting into oxbridge (for any subject, not just medicine) is a bit of a lottery I think. I know some extremely intelligent people who have been rejected! (yes I know you've heard this millions of times before)

Anyway my little sister is in year 13 applying this year, and she's applied for cambridge for medicine and got 6.3 in the first bit and 6.0 in the second in the entrance exam.. she's really worried (and it's actually unbearable to be around her at the moment as she will hear in about a week and won't stop talking about it!) I know I'm biased, but she's got 9 A*s and an A and all A's in AS (with full marks in over half her modules.. what a cow) and has lots of work experience, (oh and she isn't one of those dorky people with no life!) and if she doesn't get a place, I think it shows that getting into oxbridge requires LOTS of luck as well as intelligence!

I have heard that unis do not want high-flyers on medicine degree courses! They would rather have the 'plodders' who are intelligent enough to cope with the demands of the course. The reason for this is that the job on starts on qualification - going through the strict traditional procedures of post registration, house officer, senior house officer, registrar and eventually consultant is extremely time consuming. Highly intelligent graduates do not need years of consolidation and get extremely frustrated with the slowness of the promotion prospects.
Reply 13
yawn1
I have heard that unis do not want high-flyers on medicine degree courses! They would rather have the 'plodders' who are intelligent enough to cope with the demands of the course. The reason for this is that the job on starts on qualification - going through the strict traditional procedures of post registration, house officer, senior house officer, registrar and eventually consultant is extremely time consuming. Highly intelligent graduates do not need years of consolidation and get extremely frustrated with the slowness of the promotion prospects.

Agreed.. You need to be able to cope intellectually but the most important aspect is hard work.

I think if GCSE's were not great ie. 1*, but bmat was high, of course the applicant should have been given the oppurtunity. If the interview goes well and the tutors see real potential then GCSE's should not matter.
Reply 14
But surely GCSE grades and AS grades are the best indicator of the ability to work hard, supplemented with a strong BMAT mark suggests natural intelligence (and hence academic potential).

Someone with good grades and a good BMAT mark should be let in unless they come accross as a completely insensitive, unaware dimwit in their interview, which is unlikely.

As i said the interview procedure is not a fair way of judging candidates - they are not asked the same questions, they are not at the same time etc...

Also, oxford is hardly going to turn away intelligent people in favour of 'plodders' as it is the intelligent people who will get the good degrees, and, in oxbridge, you have to reapply and go through another selection process to enter clinical school.
Look TINNEY, i doubt it is a farce. Getting 8A*s at GCSE and AAAA at A-level or whatever does not necesasrily make you clever. I really think that the way the process is organised, Oxford try 2 make the best student get the place. I got 10A*s at GCSE, but was still not expecting a place. So what if someone got 1 A* like Veedy, if you have a passion for a subject and are able then you have as good a chance as any
Reply 16
rocksteady99
Look TINNEY, i doubt it is a farce. Getting 8A*s at GCSE and AAAA at A-level or whatever does not necesasrily make you clever. I really think that the way the process is organised, Oxford try 2 make the best student get the place. I got 10A*s at GCSE, but was still not expecting a place. So what if someone got 1 A* like Veedy, if you have a passion for a subject and are able then you have as good a chance as any

Good point, and also people mature academically at different rates as well...so previous performance at GCSE may not be that important...its probably more on the interview and how you communicate your knowledge and how adaptable you are to new concepts.
Reply 17
But relying on an interview to select candidates is not right - they are selecting candidates purely on first impressions!
The interview is such an unreliable selection procedure that Oxford often get their admissions wrong - look at all the clever people being rejected and stupid people being let in.

Perhaps they should have a system similar to UCL where they eliminate nearly everyone before interview, so that once you get to interview there is 75% chance of you getting in - thus the interview serves as a final check to make sure noone slips through the selection net, rather than the basis for selection
Reply 18
yeh but tom the oxford ppl know what they are doing (most of the time) they've been doing it for ages, they choose the process they think is best to select the candidates THEY want, who possesses this quality that THEY want - this quality is not just about good exam grades, and will come accross in interivew (this so called 'spark'.) If you were too asleep in your interview you only have yourself to blame - you should have gone to bed earlier and got up early so that you were fully awake - i know about early morning interviews, i had 2 on the same day, i was 2nd in the morning then one of the last at night, but no biggy, you deal with it.
Reply 19
Every way they select applicants is biased. Interviews are and those tests are as well because some applicants just study other syllabuses (they might be similar but they are taught differently). I think they try very hard to make it as fair as possible though, like many applicants have more than one interviews, and they have to set a test etc, so that they can have an overall picture of you. Anyway there's no way they can be completely fair. Raw intelligence is very hard to test too I think, even if you're really smart but the interview day is just not your day, you still gotta accept it and move on. (It's very easy enough to say... if I'm rejected I don't really know how to deal with it either ><)