Turn on thread page Beta

National Insurance... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay 24.74 in National Insurance from my last pay packet.

Can I claim this/any of it back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    I had to pay 24.74 in National Insurance from my last pay packet.

Can I claim this/any of it back?
    I don't think so, students are exempt from tax but you have to pay NI once you earn over about £100 a week

ReputationRep:
    I've been taxes 204 quid. I'm in the processing of claiming this back.

I'm quite gutted about the National Insurance - thats quite a bit for 470 (after tax) pay packet.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    I don't think so, students are exempt from tax but you have to pay NI once you earn over about £100 a week
    Students are not exempt from tax - only people who earn under a certain maximum value (something around £4,000 per year I think) do not have to pay tax. Students usually earn less than this so do not usually have to pay tax. Also, as a student, if you only intend to work over the vacation and do not anticipate earning more than the maximum amount allowed before tax then you can fill in a form to avoid being taxed uneccessarily. Similarly, if you earn more than about £100 per week, as you say, you have to pay National Insurance, regardless of whether or not you are a student.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    Students are not exempt from tax - only people who earn under a certain maximum value (something around £4,000 per year I think) do not have to pay tax. Students usually earn less than this so do not usually have to pay tax. Also, as a student, if you only intend to work over the vacation and do not anticipate earning more than the maximum amount allowed before tax then you can fill in a form to avoid being taxed uneccessarily. Similarly, if you earn more than about £100 per week, as you say, you have to pay National Insurance, regardless of whether or not you are a student.
    Jenn xx
    Ah, fair enough, I just knew I had to fill out a form to be put on a student tax code when I was working in the holidays at uni

ReputationRep:
    so how much % is NI? If my next paypack is 520 quid, how much will be scabbed?

ReputationRep:
    If you're working during the holidays and earn under £4,895 throughout your time in employment you're exempt from paying tax. See attached specimen form - your employer should be able to get hold of it for you from their accountant if you give them the code (p38s I think).

Hope that helps
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf p38s-specimen only.pdf (23.3 KB, 125 views)

ReputationRep:
    im also curious to know how much % NI is. As I started working extra hours half way through last month I got charged NI but only something like £1.27 from £420 paypacket.

ReputationRep:
    and where does the money go? Just general government outgoings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motherless Child)
    and where does the money go? Just general government outgoings?
    It goes to fund your state pension doesn't it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    It goes to fund your state pension doesn't it? :confused:
    Plus its for when you sign on and towards sick pay benefit.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by u2o_uk)
    im also curious to know how much % NI is. As I started working extra hours half way through last month I got charged NI but only something like £1.27 from £420 paypacket.
    It's 11% of everything above the threashold and below the upper limit (which is about £45,000pa)...above the upper limit it's only paid at 1%

And whatever you pay is matched by your employer (which is why it's a bummer if you're self employed - you have to pay both the employee slice and the employer slice)

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.