Receiving post while at uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
worried_mess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
One of the things I am worried about is what to do in terms of filling in your address on forms.

Do you put your home or term address? And what about stuff like phone bills, or magazine subscriptions or bank statements, do you just get your parents to send it up or do you spend a lot of time changing the addresses with all the various companies?
kirbz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Some people get their parents to send it up to them, others change their address. Personally I only changed the essentials because it's a hassle changing your address every year. It's totally up to you though
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I armed my sister with some sticky labels with my uni address, and got her to stick them on anything I got to forward it to me.

You can tell banks your term time address, and with HSBC at least it's very easy to change it!
*starbuck*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

What about ordering things from Amazon? Can you get those delivered to your Uni address?

Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starbuck*)

What about ordering things from Amazon? Can you get those delivered to your Uni address?

Amazon will let you. If you change your address with your bank to your uni one then that becomes your cardholder adress, or if you leave it as your home one then you need to add another address. It should be clear when you try it.

But check with your uni what the arrangements are for post. You don't want anyone to steal your Amazon order!
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Amazon will let you. If you change your address with your bank to your uni one then that becomes your cardholder adress, or if you leave it as your home one then you need to add another address. It should be clear when you try it.

But check with your uni what the arrangements are for post. You don't want anyone to steal your Amazon order!
Will post be secure at uni? I receive about 5 letters a week for business purposes and if someone knicks my post i'm gonna be pretty much screwed fo money.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
Will post be secure at uni? I receive about 5 letters a week for business purposes and if someone knicks my post i'm gonna be pretty much screwed fo money.
It will depend on your uni. It might be in the prospectus/accomodation stuff, or you could always ask them.

At York, there was a post room which you needed a swipe card to enter, and then post was put into pigeon holes in alphabetical order. In theory, anyone with a swipe card could take it. Then parcels/recorded delivery/things that looked like credit cards etc was kept behind the Porter's desk and you had to ask for it and then sign to say you'd got it.

At my friend's uni, you needed to show your student card to have access to the post room and then sign when you took something.

I think in some unis they will actually deliver it to your door too.

EDIT: At York, you could specify to leave post at the Porter's Lodge by writing it as part of your address. There might be a smiliar thing at your uni if the system isn't very secure.
Carreh
Badges: 2
Report 13 years ago
We had post delievered to our flats, then had a key to get into the postbox in our kitchen, parcels we had to take our student card and sign for them in reception
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
at my uni we all had little lockers with keys so no one else could get our post. but at my brothers uni all the post was just put in piles on a table in the room they ate their meals in (very secure!)

lou xxx
kirbz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
At my hall each flat had it's own postbox which only the flat members had keys to
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It does depend some halls have post delivered into the flats, in some flats it is locked up in the main hall and you can only get it at certain times so its secure, and in some places its put out.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Our college just has pigeon holes in the porters' lodge where we pick stuff up from - as there's a porter on duty all the time they'd notice if you started taking stuff from other people, plus I don't think anyone really would! Other colleges have their post rooms separate from the porters though, but I've not heard of any problems (not to say there aren't).
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We had a postbox in our kitchen where letters, etc. got put. It was lockable so only people with a key for it (i.e. those in your kitchen) could get into it. Parcels and big stuff that wouldn't fit were taken to the post room so you got a little card in the kitchen postbox telling you something had arrived there for you. You took the card and some form of ID (to prove it was you) or, if you were collecting something for someone else, their ID and a signed note from them saying that they wanted you to pick it up. Then you got your parcel
Jenn xx
VVV1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
At my uni we had a post room that anyone could enter. All the post was put in a pigeon hole for our flat and ususally one of us would pick it up on the way back from lectures. I had all my stuff sent to me at uni after the first term because when I went home for the weekend i found a pile of post my parents had forgot to forward on including some bills that were overdue. I never had any problem receiving new cards or important stuff. However the opportunity is there for anyone to nick it.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeh we had a post room that only people from our block of halls could access but still that did mean anyone could take anything. But i dont think anyone ever did.
recorded delivery stuff was sent to the main post room where you had to go and show your uni card before you could collect anything.
My friend did have a few things taken wen she went to the post room tho, like 20pounds from her gran not being in a card and also a perfume missing with everything else there from her mum.. she didnt follow it up tho... im not sure why i think she was just lazy.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (23)
17.16%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
40.3%
Nope, not that interesting (57)
42.54%

Watched Threads