The Student Room Group
When you have some less ambigious questions, post again and I will try to help. I mentor PGCE mathematics students but I don't know the Oxford PGCE.
Reply 2
Hi there,

I had my interview a few weeks ago and it was really straightforward. There was a group interview where we watched a short clip of a teacher taking a class, and then had to discuss what we thought was good/not so good about it. Then for the individual interview we had to answer one pre-prepared question, (they send you a picture of a child's work and an accompanying article in advance, and you have to explain what you would say to the child in light of what you read in the article), and then the usual "Why do you want to be a teacher?" etc. There were no presentations, tests, or anything out of the blue.

Everything was exactly as described in the pack they sent with the interview date. Have you actually applied yet?
Reply 3
yes i have, and i was sent an interview date on track today. your reply was very interesting helpful and a great relief, thank you. i will wait for my information pack now, patiently!

but actually, can i just ask, what was the gist of the article and work you were sent? and the teaching clip, could you describe it a bit? and what was the discussion about more specifically?? if you don't mind... :smile:

did you get an offer??
Reply 4
Yes I did get an offer thanks. :smile:

The gist of the article was about the difference between understanding maths at a conceptual level versus 'understanding' what rules you need to follow in order to get the right answer. The work was basic fractions.

I can't be any more specific about the discussion I'm afraid - it was literally "what did you think was good?" and "what did you think wasn't so good?" with perhaps some follow-on questions depending on what people said. I don't feel I can describe the clip either. If you want to prepare then the best thing to do is to do some observations and research/reflect on what makes a good/bad teacher.

When's your interview?
Reply 5
wow, congratulations! that must be a relief, well done.

that's very interesting about the article, i actually talked about that a bit in my statement ! thank you for the advice and info... interview first week of march. i'm starting to get nervous now. did they talk about current educational issues?
Reply 6
Coincidentally, (or not), I talked about that in my statement too. :smile:

No they didn't ask me about current educational issues but that doesn't necessarily mean that they never ask anyone about them...

Good luck for next week!
Original post by nemunoki
hello,

wondering if anyone has had an interview for the maths pgce at oxford? what does it consist of? any written tests? presentations? any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,
n

Hi,

Did you have your interview? How did it go? I have mine on Wednesday. I've been told that there will be a written maths task and I am wondering what it will consist of? Anything you can tell me about the process would be much appreciated!

Original post by sophie_alice
Hi,

Did you have your interview? How did it go? I have mine on Wednesday. I've been told that there will be a written maths task and I am wondering what it will consist of? Anything you can tell me about the process would be much appreciated!

The person you quoted last visited TSR in January 2011.
Hi sir,
I have been invited for an interview in Oxford for PGCE maths.I read your post which is very helpful.Could you please explain in more details that what should we say to tutor giving answer of child work and about article.Because child did some mistake in fraction questions,might be child could not get the concept completely.
Original post by Mashoodahmad

The person you failed to quote last visited TSR in January 2011.

Latest

Trending

Trending