Help with writing a script... Watch

This discussion is closed.
yo-less
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hey guys
i kinda need help to write this script for a play for kids.it's a play involving puppets and it was performed a while ago for our whole school but now the teachers want me to write the script modified so that it's fit to be viewed by kids of about 4 - 8years old.
i just need some advice and elements that would appeal to kids...
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yo-less)
hey guys
i kinda need help to write this script for a play for kids.it's a play involving puppets and it was performed a while ago for our whole school but now the teachers want me to write the script modified so that it's fit to be viewed by kids of about 4 - 8years old.
erm, maybe fart jokes and calling your puppets bogey? :s:
Darth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey guys
Use childrens characters as puppets eg characters from Harry Potter or Roald Dahl. they are immensly popular among young children
yo-less
i have to use Hans Christian Andersons' characters so thats sorted
yo-less
(Original post by LPK)
erm, maybe fart jokes and calling your puppets bogey? :s:
i'm trying to appeal to innocent minds :rolleyes:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
...hans christian anderson? eek, i'd definitely do a disney on that (i'm sure you know what i mean, but if you don't, have a quick look at the original story of 'the little mermaid.'). keep the language simple and don't use any concepts that would be unfamiliar to a 4-year old. you could use simple double meanings to appeal to the older members of the audience (à la 'shrek'), but you should be careful not to alienate the littleuns, because they are the ones who will make a fuss if you do. what is the current script like?
yo-less
(Original post by buttons7)
...hans christian anderson? eek, i'd definitely do a disney on that (i'm sure you know what i mean, but if you don't, have a quick look at the original story of 'the little mermaid.'). keep the language simple and don't use any concepts that would be unfamiliar to a 4-year old. you could use simple double meanings to appeal to the older members of the audience (à la 'shrek'), but you should be careful not to alienate the littleuns, because they are the ones who will make a fuss if you do. what is the current script like?
well,the script i used for the rest of the school was like shrek,totally twisted and very humerous.obviosuly,i can't do the same for the lil kids...
what d'you think there favourite stories by him are?
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.hca.gilead.org.il/#list has a list of all his tales. the best known would be 'the little mermaid,' 'thumbelina,' 'the princess and the pea,' 'the ugly duckling,' 'the emperor's new clothes.' he might have written 'hansel and gretel,' too, but i'm not really sure about that one.

you're right, you can't do exactly the same for the little kids, but you could still twist these stories - you could either make them more cheerful than they are originally (in hans christian anderson's verison of the 'little mermaid' - the original version - she doesn't marry the prince at the end, but instead chucks herself off a boat and dies) or you could twist them a bit and make them funny.
yo-less
yeah,thats cos evidently Hans was a really ugly kid and he was very insecure about it so all his stories are a touch morbid...

i'm supposed to make them bright and flowery.huzzah...not

thanks for the link btw
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm trying to appeal to innocent minds :rolleyes:
But that just isn't you :eek:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah,thats cos evidently Hans was a really ugly kid and he was very insecure about it so all his stories are a touch morbid...

i'm supposed to make them bright and flowery.huzzah...not

thanks for the link btw
go into a bookshop and look for ladybird classics (they'd usually be in a 5-8 years section, or a fairytale section). they often have nice cheery versions of HCA tales which you could peruse if you're stuck for ideas.
yo-less
(Original post by LPK)
But that just isn't you :eek:
*sighs* it's for the kids...if it were my way,i'd give them a sex-ed class :eek:
yo-less
go into a bookshop and look for ladybird classics (they'd usually be in a 5-8 years section, or a fairytale section). they often have nice cheery versions of HCA tales which you could peruse if you're stuck for ideas.
i'm supposed to meld different stories together
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*sighs* it's for the kids...if it were my way,i'd give them a sex-ed class :eek:
haha
yo-less
(Original post by LPK)
haha
but then i'll get suspended...

mm,maybe i can slip them subtle messages through lines that appear to be 'innocent':evil:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
but then i'll get suspended...

mm,maybe i can slip them subtle messages through lines that appear to be 'innocent':evil:
if they can do it in 'shrek,' then you can do it with puppets!
yo-less
if they can do it in 'shrek,' then you can do it with puppets!
:rofl:
i wish,but i seriously need some vague storyline with thumbelina and ...fish and er...birds
*buries face in hands*gosh,this is so lame :eek:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed