Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Thats why I use relative poverty rather than absolute poverty. Relative poverty means that you lack what our society (in Britain) considers its norms.
    norms = a tv (mayb sky), washing machine, dishwasher, latest trainers, therfore i am willing to help those in absolute, not those in only minor relative poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    norms = a tv (mayb sky), washing machine, dishwasher, latest trainers, therfore i am willing to help those in absolute, not those in only minor relative poverty.
    No, those aren't the norms. Sky, washing machine, dishwashers, trainers etc... are not what I think everyone should have.

ReputationRep:
    No, those aren't the norms. Sky, washing machine, dishwashers, trainers etc... are not what I think everyone should have.
    i will probably end up agreeing with you, what would you consider the norms that i should help people to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Take for example a family with 4 children living in a one one bed flat? Not enough food to go round. Children not having enough clothes. Can't afford to pay the heating, water etc so that may be cut off?

ReputationRep:
    Take for example a family with 4 children living in a one one bed flat? Not enough food to go round. Children not having enough clothes. Can't afford to pay the heating, water etc so that may be cut off?
    k, told you i would agree with you, but i would call that almost absolute poverty not relative poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    k, told you i would agree with you, but i would call that almost absolute poverty not relative poverty.
    Sorry if i sound as if i'm being pedantic about things .

For me absolute poverty is not having a home, water etc...

ReputationRep:

i.e. Homeless?

ReputationRep:

surely a lack of food as shown in the last example by you is absolute poverty then? Or the near lack of water, heat, basics in a civilised country like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    surely a lack of food as shown in the last example by you is absolute poverty then? Or the near lack of water, heat, basics in a civilised country like this.
    That's the point; whilst in many countries people my stave for days which is absolute poverty, people in this country may not be able to eat for example twice a day or may have to do with a tiny bit of, or for example the parents may have to skip a meal. Then this is also poverty but not as great as one elesewhere but comparably sizeable for someone in this country ie. relative poverty.

(Original post by 2776)
    i.e. Homeless?
    Well yes, someone homeless would have all of these. But there are many who may not be homeless but not afford the heating or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I'll quote a recent article I read.."It was Labour's failure which opened up the space for Thatcher, who won in 1979 on a platform which included racist claims that the country was being "swamped" by immigrants. Already we can see grim signs that New Labour is leading us in the same direction. "
    I think some of the left wing policies still in place are initiatives such as working family tax credits, the 'new deal' programme and the plan of 50% of young people into uni.

i dont know how using the word "swamped" is racist...?

ReputationRep:
    But hard work doesn't pay off all the time. You can work very hard but what you get in return isn't a lot. I a perect work hard work and wages would go hand in hand

no, in a communist world.

but in reality they don't. Someone who work in a factory long hours doing demending work would still get paid less than some executive or somone in service industries. Wages vary according to the type of work, not the actual demands of the job IMO.

You're right that we should help people to help themselves. But we should whilst helping them long term, help them short term too. If you agree with helping them help themsleves then surely you'd agree to help with childcare etc...?
    no.

ReputationRep:
    What a great contribution vienna95, again top class stuff!

You shall surely win best political poster after that prime specimen!

ReputationRep:
    What a great contribution vienna95, again top class stuff!

You shall surely win best political poster after that prime specimen!
    thanks, early exit polls have indeed suggested such an outcome...after all, where is the competition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    thanks, early exit polls have indeed suggested such an outcome...after all, where is the competition?
    Mr White, JSM?

ReputationRep:
    Vienna,

You know, I never see you except for on political threads. I thought you were dead the other night until I found the political threads where you lived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    . I thought you were dead the other night until I found the political threads where you lived.
    Vienna does not die...do you not know? Many many people have lost their lives trying to keep her down, but...by god she just keeps on coming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Mr White, JSM?
    with the greatest respect to my friend Mr.White, he rarely commits himself to political threads. he applies his 2cents worth but no more..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Vienna does not die...do you not know? Many many people have lost their lives trying to keep her down, but...by god she just keeps on coming...
    Wow,

And I see you've risen above Mr White. Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    with the greatest respect to my friend Mr.White, he rarely commits himself to political threads. he applies his 2cents worth but no more..
    Ah, Vienna. I've never spoken to you before. You only appear on political threads.

I guess you're into politics rather than the fun happy girly things people like Gems and Adhsur are into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I guess you're into politics rather than the fun happy girly things people like Gems and Adhsur are into.
    yes.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.