Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    they dont contradict one another because there are different ideas of 'liberal'.
    there is a smiley, i understood that, but it still contradicted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I don't know specific figures of what benefits are available to those claiming asylum. In my job I was helping to teach English and sports to the children of immigrants but I could tell just from that contact that many are desperately poor. They certainly do not get a state-funded semi-detatched house or a free car. Most come to this country with absolutely nothing and often many of the children had clearly not eaten that day and were wearing old clothes.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    At least they don't get abused like in France

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    At least they don't get abused like in France
    So the asylum seeker who was stabbed to death in Glasgow last year wasn't being abused?

ReputationRep:
    maybe the stabbing was particularly terrible, but despite the 'media scare stories' and portrayal in england, the average asylum seeker is given better treatment in england than in france. There are facilities with lower standards than jails in france where people have to live.

ReputationRep:
    So the asylum seeker who was stabbed to death in Glasgow last year wasn't being abused?

Maybe he was. But nowhere near as much as they do in France...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    maybe the stabbing was particularly terrible, but despite the 'media scare stories' and portrayal in england, the average asylum seeker is given better treatment in england than in france. There are facilities with lower standards than jails in france where people have to live.
    yep, but then france was just a stopping point on their way here, well most of them anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    yep, but then france was just a stopping point on their way here, well most of them anyway
    Why? Because conditions are better here. Therefore they don't stop at France

ReputationRep:
    Is that from the same 'Home Office leak' which appears on the BNP website? Sounds suspiciously like far-right propaganda to me. I spent some of the summer working for a charity which assists immigrants and I can assure you that I have never come across, or even heard of, any asylum seeker who has received anywhere near as much in benefits as you claim.

i dont know. i dont visit the BNP website. all i know is it was obtained and made interesting reading in certain circles. as to being genuine, yes it probably is. but since you question it, why stop there? maybe the labour manifesto was fabricated too? nothing surprises me with this Government anymore.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know. i dont visit the BNP website. all i know is it was obtained and made interesting reading in certain circles. as to being genuine, yes it probably is. but since you question it, why stop there? maybe the labour manifesto was fabricated too? nothing surprises me with this Government anymore.
    lol, labour manifesto fabricated. Id a thought youda liked the gov as it is reasonably right wing.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should feel good about being able to help other people who have been through lots of nasty things e.g. war etc..

Unfortunatly people in the west see asylem seekers and refugees as cons who r just there to take money of the government.

IF u think about most of these people are coming from the countries that has been robbed by britain and other colonian countires (such as France!!!) in the past...
    Because the western countries have dividied the land in Afria, between the african nations, now there's War going on over land and British and French people moan that asylem seekers are coming from those countries to their countries....!!!

Now after what u have done to them ....u don't want to helped them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    lol, labour manifesto fabricated. Id a thought youda liked the gov as it is reasonably right wing.
    precisely. contrary to what they pledged..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    I think we should feel good about being able to help other people who have been through lots of nasty things e.g. war etc..

Unfortunatly people in the west see asylem seekers and refugees as cons who r just there to take money of the government.

IF u think about most of these people are coming from the countries that has been robbed by britain and other colonian countires (such as France!!!) in the past...
    Because the western countries have dividied the land in Afria, between the african nations, now there's War going on over land and British and French people moan that asylem seekers are coming from those countries to their countries....!!!

Now after what u have done to them ....u don't want to helped them?
    *yawns*

ReputationRep:
    *yawns*
    It's quite a good point. Not only is it humane to give people asylum when they are in need, but we also should feel a little responsible for the long suffering for people around the world. Exploitation of people still continues, True it's not slavery as it was hundreds of years ago, but a form of exploitation that we should try and rid.

We are very lucky to have been born in the West don.'t we think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    It's quite a good point. Not only is it humane to give people asylum when they are in need, but we also should feel a little responsible for the long suffering for people around the world. Exploitation of people still continues, True it's not slavery as it was hundreds of years ago, but a form of exploitation that we should try and rid.

We are very lucky to have been born in the West don.'t we think.
    which point is that?

helping people in need? *yawn*

people in the west see refugees as a burden? *yawn*

the worlds refugees are the fault of the colonial history of two european nations? *YAWN*

ReputationRep:
    vienna, can you just generally describe your views on the subject then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    vienna, can you just generally describe your views on the subject then
    which subject?

ReputationRep:
    which subject?
    asylum seekers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    asylum seekers...
    its a broad subject. if you want a specific opinion on a specific issue then ill oblige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    True, but where do we draw the line between people seeking persecution and the needs of people already living in this country. The main problem is in distinguishing between the people who really need asylum and bogus seekers. That considered, the actual immigration policies should be revised by this government, not just increasing/decreasing existing benefit.
    That's true. I'm not saying the asylum system is great at present. It fails both us and asylum seekers. My main point is on attitude. We have so many negative comments we rarely look at the bigger picture.

ReputationRep:
    its a broad subject. if you want a specific opinion on a specific issue then ill oblige.
    Ok, then do you agree with allowing asylum seekers in to the UK?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.