The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
pkonline
That's true. I'm not saying the asylum system is great at present. It fails both us and asylum seekers. My main point is on attitude. We have so many negative comments we rarely look at the bigger picture.

but the negative attitude is a consequence of the failing system.
Reply 141
Ok, then do you agree with allowing asylum seekers in to the UK?

we have a duty to provide refuge for those genuinely fleeing persecution.
Reply 142
vienna95
we have a duty to provide refuge for those genuinely fleeing persecution.

Persecution from what? What if tehy are a criminal in a very musilm country and it is deemed that he must die for stealing some food to feed his family. Would you allow him in?
Reply 143
Persecution from what? What if tehy are a criminal in a very musilm country and it is deemed that he must die for stealing some food to feed his family. Would you allow him in?

no.
Reply 144
vienna95
no.

Ok, so no criminal at all. What about political persecution though?
Reply 145
Ok, so no criminal at all. What about political persecution though?

if someones life was threatened due to their political beliefs, they would have grounds to apply for asylum.
Reply 146
vienna95
if someones life was threatened due to their political beliefs, they would have grounds to apply for asylum.

How about someone with a political belief of driving the government out by force?
Reply 147
How about someone with a political belief of driving the government out by force?

elaborate...
Reply 148
vienna95
elaborate...

um driving out american government?
Reply 149
um driving out american government?

you mean US citizens commiting acts of violence against the US state?
Reply 150
vienna95
you mean US citizens commiting acts of violence against the US state?

yes, something like that and asking for asylum
Reply 151
yes, something like that and asking for asylum

hehe, er, no.
Reply 152
timeofyourlife
What about last month's announcement by David Blunkett to repatriate Iraqi asylum-seekers to areas in Iraq which are still dangerous? Is this not a breach of international law?

how?
Reply 153
timeofyourlife
To physically force people back, or to deprive them of their rights in a way that leaves them with no choice but to return would be a breach of international human rights and refugee law and also go against the UN Security Council resolution.

if no threat exists to their life then they have no right to claim asylum in the UK.
vienna95
if no threat exists to their life then they have no right to claim asylum in the UK.

what do you mean by the threatining of life? a famine can kill, as can a war, or a abusive husband....what do you mean?
Reply 155
curryADD
what do you mean by the threatining of life? a famine can kill, as can a war, or a abusive husband....what do you mean?

i mean if there is no immediate threat to their life under the criteria regarding grounds for asylum application...an abusive husband, a famine or prosecution for a criminal offence do not justify asylum application to me.
Reply 156
timeofyourlife
I mean if they were already in the UK after having successfully fled persecution and then being forced back into an area which is highly dangerous.

but as dangerous as Iraq is, it is unlikely that they would be in immediate danger and would not have reasonable grounds to claim asylum, have no right to remain in the UK and would be deported.
Reply 157
vienna95
*yawns*

Whats that suppose to mean?
Reply 158
HamaL
Whats that suppose to mean?

what you had to say is old hat.
Reply 159
vienna95
what you had to say is old hat.

"old hat" ?