Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I agree with you to a certain extent. David Blunkett's assertion that "when you are no longer threatened... there is a moral obligation to return and assist in the rebuilding of the country" was right in the sense that they were unlikely to be in immediate danger
    yep.

ReputationRep:
    I get the impression you're quite political!
    from that?

ReputationRep:
    Heh nutting to say then aye?
    Good Good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i mean if there is no immediate threat to their life under the criteria regarding grounds for asylum application...an abusive husband, a famine or prosecution for a criminal offence do not justify asylum application to me.
    What about religious presecution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Heh nutting to say then aye?
    Good Good
    er, no. i already said it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What about religious presecution?
    to what extent?

ReputationRep:
    No, the last thread I saw your name in you were actively arguing about something as well
    unlike alot of people, i only participate in the threads that resemble some kind of real debate...

ReputationRep:
    to what extent?
    To what extent would you allow them to be persecuted before you let them in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    To what extent would you allow them to be persecuted before you let them in?
    their religious beliefs meant their life was in danger. although, it would depend on other circumstances..nationality, race, ethnicity, ability to migrate etc.

ReputationRep:
    You mean you're not a participant in the worthy 'I hate stairs' thread?
    precisely.

ReputationRep:
    i mean if there is no immediate threat to their life under the criteria regarding grounds for asylum application...an abusive husband, a famine or prosecution for a criminal offence do not justify asylum application to me.
    so for you aslym is something that their government has implied to make them have a risk of lost life? so if their government decided it was going to "purge" the country of a certain ethnic group, that group would have the right to apply for asylum?

ReputationRep:
    precisely.
    Sorry, just have to post this one to get myself up to "Junior Member". The distance up the ladder is making me dizzy already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    so for you aslym is something that their government has implied to make them have a risk of lost life? so if their government decided it was going to "purge" the country of a certain ethnic group, that group would have the right to apply for asylum?
    it depends on their circumstance but generally they would have a claim.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just have to post this one to get myself up to "Junior Member". The distance up the ladder is making me dizzy already.
    anouther greedy newbie :rolleyes: personally im trying to make demi god myself

ReputationRep:
    Whatever happened to that 'Photocopier' (or similar lol) guy that stood up on behalf of newbies? Resided to the world of used paper clips?
    lol

it was ensocpier wasnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interesting in the fact that although New Labour have mostly 'centre right' policies, their immigration stance is firmly left. Does anyone know why? I would've thought public opinion would have been more right wing on this one?
    Isn't it widely considered that Blunkett and his asylum policies are one of the most right wing elements of this government? For example taking children away into care if an asylum seeker doesn't go?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    This is only a recent 'initiative'. Immigration control in the UK is still laughable.
    Yeh but immigration on the whole isn't eactly a left wing thing though is it? To say that Labour are right an dthe only left wing thing is asylum is a little misleading.

ReputationRep:
    It's a general acceptance that New Labour have to lean more right than some members would like due to the electorate. If they adopted more left wing policies they would quite simply lose a wave of votes. I'm not saying they only have one left wing policy, but they do resemble a "mild" conservative party on a range of issues.
    Thats true. But IMO one of the most right wing areas is asylum. Things like public spending and, dare I say it, some wealth redistribution, are still left wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Thats true. But IMO one of the most right wing areas is asylum. Things like public spending and, dare I say it, some wealth redistribution, are still left wing.
    we dont need wealth redistribution

ReputationRep:
    I'll quote a recent article I read.."It was Labour's failure which opened up the space for Thatcher, who won in 1979 on a platform which included racist claims that the country was being "swamped" by immigrants. Already we can see grim signs that New Labour is leading us in the same direction. "
    I think some of the left wing policies still in place are initiatives such as working family tax credits, the 'new deal' programme and the plan of 50% of young people into uni.
    I totally agree with what you've said. Labour did very well in its first term and are actually more left than what people think. The point I was making is that our asylum policy is one of the most right wing elements of our plans.

(Original post by JSM)
    we dont need wealth redistribution
    So you don't believe in helping out those who are less fortunate then?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.