The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lmao, an inflame thread, <3 them.

every industrial country's people tend to lose themselves in their own endeavors and worry less and less about international politics and conflict.

I agree that a great deal of under-middle class america are politically dumb-- this doesn't mean one can generalize the entire nation as being 'isolated'. Less than 3% of foreign books are actually translated into english per year here, as opposed to the UK who's total output for translation of foreign books are about 8-9%.
42th in literacy in the world. When I was in grade school, most of the material i got was almost always sympathetic to America of course, and a lot of it wasn't really detailed to be considered accurate--this was during elementary to junior high.
It's understandable that diversity in understanding different cultures, and world history in america is some what of an issue, but it is by no means 'fact' that citizens of america are entirely ignorant about international conflicts like in Cyprus, or in Sirlanka; there's no real disconnect from the outside world since academic criteria is readily available to those who want to learn. Your rant is presumably due to america's worship of the entertainment business and the private ownership business that create social institutions where under-middle class americans are totally focused on. Making that money is a lot more important than reading a novel by salman rushdie for example. Though it's a tired and over exaggerated canard on your part, I can see how such an isolated rant can be made.
Canards like this are simply laughable, acceptable criticism by me though very funny.
More anti-americanism...it isn't like your average Brit actually knows anything about the world is it?
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Neither of them needed the Falklands. Argentina only invaded to distract attention from their ****** economy and Britain only fought back so fiercely to cling onto some pathetic Imperial identity. Pointless war where thousands died pointlessly

Thousands died? Erm, around 350 British soldiers, 650 Argentines and 3 civilians; not quite 'thousands' is it?

And you say it's pointless, so tell that to the 3000 fully British citizens on the Falklands that it's pointless looking after them, stopping their homeland being invaded.
+ polarity -
:rofl:

Nice.

See above post.
Bubbles*de*Milo
See above post.

O hai. :teeth:

Interesting. I just :lol:ed at the metaphor.

:getmecoat:
ak56
In terms of land mass prehaps not, but historically and culturally, the US and South America have far more in common than the UK does with most Asian countries. And as I've said before, when it suits the US, they definitely do exercise their perceived right in South America, but only when it suits.

What does America have in common culturally with an island with the lowest population density in the world? What is the Falkland Islands' 'culture'?
To be honest every country is pretty isolated, pretty much every nation is primarily concerned with what concerns itself.

I've never really seen a news broadcast concerning a conflict that we either weren't already involved in or were considering getting involved in.
Reply 27
vilongo
Lmao, an inflame thread, <3 them.

every industrial country's people tend to lose themselves in their own endeavors and worry less and less about international politics and conflict.

I agree that a great deal of under-middle class america are politically dumb-- this doesn't mean one can generalize the entire nation as being 'isolated'. Less than 3% of foreign books are actually translated into english per year here, as opposed to the UK who's total output for translation of foreign books are about 8-9%.
42th in literacy in the world. When I was in grade school, most of the material i got was almost always sympathetic to America of course, and a lot of it wasn't really detailed to be considered accurate--this was during elementary to junior high.
It's understandable that diversity in understanding different cultures, and world history in america is some what of an issue, but it is by no means 'fact' that citizens of america are entirely ignorant about international conflicts like in Cyprus, or in Sirlanka; there's no real disconnect from the outside world since academic criteria is readily available to those who want to learn. Your rant is presumably due to america's worship of the entertainment business and the private ownership business that create social institutions where under-middle class americans are totally focused on. Making that money is a lot more important than reading a novel by salman rushdie for example. Though it's a tired and over exaggerated canard on your part, I can see how such an isolated rant can be made.
Canards like this are simply laughable, acceptable criticism by me though very funny.

42th doesn't seem to be working out too well does it :p: :rofl:
Reply 28
meskell

It's not 42th. It's 19 as is the UK.
Reply 29
Mc'Lovin

Point. Missed. :facepalm2:
Reply 30
meskell

Don't laugh, you're not that far ahead.
Why should we care, about stuff that doesnt affect our country... a friend in this country asked me whether England was in europe or not :s-smilie:
Reply 32
vilongo

Point. Also. Missed. :facepalm2:
God I hate the word "Brit."
Reply 34
ak56
Americans strike me as very much an isolated country as far as their exposure to foreign events goes. If an event doesn't directly affect Americans, the mass American media has absolutely no interest in reporting it, and 90% of Americans appear to have absolutely no interest in researching it.

However, if you tell Americans they're effectively an isolationist country, they'll get very annoyed and bang on about the aid they give countries, and how hey "liberated" Iraq and Afghanista, but what people fail to realise is just because your country invades backward ********* like Iraq and Afghanistan and throws money at backward ********* in Africa doesn't make your people any less isolated. And actually, more monitary aid to the third world goes throught he EU than US, but that's another story...

What I still find absolutely astounding it the amount of Americans who have no idea that the Falklands War took place, I know it doesn't concern them at all, but I find it nothing short of astonishing that 95% of Americans were blissfully unaware that in the 80s a large scale armed conflict was taking place between the UK and Argentina on their own contitinent, albeit at the other end of their continent. But it just shocks me how Americans can be oblivious to events taking place on their own continent that are quite significant.

I'm sure I'll be shot down for this, called a racist, but there are plenty of example of American isolation. I'd defiantely call the whole country extremely self-centric and isolationist.

Why should they care about anyone else?
its like the popular kids in American schools
everyone cares what they do but they dont care what the fat nerds are doing in the library
Reply 35
Mc'Lovin

Wiki has a condensed version of the national standard, but it's 42th speaking globally-- that means 193 countries.
Reply 36
vilongo

You truly match the American stereotype. :facepalm:

The UK and US have the same literacy rate. They are both 19th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

Incase you don't trust them, here is the CIA one:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2103.html
Reply 37
meskell
Point. Also. Missed. :facepalm2:

you know, this looks like a penis in a tuxedo, yes i would know.

Please post this next time

Reply 38
ak56
Americans strike me as very much an isolated country as far as their exposure to foreign events goes. If an event doesn't directly affect Americans, the mass American media has absolutely no interest in reporting it, and 90% of Americans appear to have absolutely no interest in researching it.

However, if you tell Americans they're effectively an isolationist country, they'll get very annoyed and bang on about the aid they give countries, and how hey "liberated" Iraq and Afghanista, but what people fail to realise is just because your country invades backward ********* like Iraq and Afghanistan and throws money at backward ********* in Africa doesn't make your people any less isolated. And actually, more monitary aid to the third world goes throught he EU than US, but that's another story...

What I still find absolutely astounding it the amount of Americans who have no idea that the Falklands War took place, I know it doesn't concern them at all, but I find it nothing short of astonishing that 95% of Americans were blissfully unaware that in the 80s a large scale armed conflict was taking place between the UK and Argentina on their own contitinent, albeit at the other end of their continent. But it just shocks me how Americans can be oblivious to events taking place on their own continent that are quite significant.

I'm sure I'll be shot down for this, called a racist, but there are plenty of example of American isolation. I'd defiantely call the whole country extremely self-centric and isolationist.

Have you actually ever spoken to any Americans?

We already know we are isolated and it just kinda seems like you have made up a response full of generalisations :s-smilie:
Reply 39
vilongo
Wiki has a condensed version of the national standard, but it's 42th speaking globally-- that means 193 countries.

Wait, do Americans actually say '42th' outloud? I was laughing before at what I thought was a typo. But I just googled '42th' and it appears it is actually used :lolwut:

"Who was the fortytooth president of the US?" I mean WTF is 'fortytooth'!? Or 'fortytouth' how the hell do you even say that :lolwut:

Latest

Trending

Trending