Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone give me their opinion of the various colleges in Oxford? Urm, perhaps you all could start with Corpus Christi College, which I was accepted into. I don't know alot about the college coz firstly, I made an open application and secondly I haven't got the chance to visit Oxford at all coz I am from Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarrygon83)
    Could anyone give me their opinion of the various colleges in Oxford? Urm, perhaps you all could start with Corpus Christi College, which I was accepted into. I don't know alot about the college coz firstly, I made an open application and secondly I haven't got the chance to visit Oxford at all coz I am from Singapore.
    I wouldn't say Corpus Christi is exactly the best of colleges. Firstly there's only about 50-60 per year compared to double that elsewhere so you don't get to meet as many people within your college. Secondly it is fairly academically intense. Thirdly you rarely find people from Corpus getting involved in the uni scene - eg OUSU/Union / any societies - in fact you rarely meet people from Corpus. Nevertheless, after about a month pretty much everyone claims that their college is the best and they wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I wouldn't say Corpus Christi is exactly the best of colleges. Firstly there's only about 50-60 per year compared to double that elsewhere so you don't get to meet as many people within your college. Secondly it is fairly academically intense. Thirdly you rarely find people from Corpus getting involved in the uni scene - eg OUSU/Union / any societies - in fact you rarely meet people from Corpus. Nevertheless, after about a month pretty much everyone claims that their college is the best and they wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
    Don't put him off too much Jools, or else he won't want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Don't put him off too much Jools, or else he won't want to go.
    Corpus Christ is truly fantastic, definitely one of Oxford's best colleges.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Corpus Christ is truly fantastic, definitely one of Oxford's best colleges.....
    why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TINNEY)
    why is that?
    Just me messing - read the previous posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Just me messing - read the previous posts
    OOOHHHH....I SEE, SO MR COCKY OXFORD BOY RECKONS HE IS BETTER THAN EVERY1 ELSE COZ HIS COLLEGE IS SO AMAZING. STOP DEGRADING PEOPLE.........

ReputationRep:
    Whatever Maskall :rolleyes: my college is far from 'amazing', the poster asked for a subjective opinion which is what they got. I'm not going to lure everyone into the impression that every college is amazing - however as said that's what they'll think after a short time there.

ReputationRep:
    Emmanuel College, ahhhh......

*has romantic visions of mallards and the moonlight*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Emmanuel College, ahhhh......

*has romantic visions of mallards and the moonlight*
    You get an offer??

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge only send their responses out on the 27th at the very earliest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarrygon83)
    Jools is right in that most people at Corpus seem to have to work pretty intensely, but on the other hand we are talking about one of the most demanding universities in the world, so the workload at any college is going to be pretty high.

It also depends on what you've been accepted to study?
    But don't believe that age old adage which states that scientists work much, much harder than arts students. Ok, so they do work somewhat harder, and have far more compulsory lectures, but even arts students usually have at least an essay a week! For example, I'm doing Classics, and my timetable is as follows:
    Monday to Friday: 9am or 10am Ancient Greek (from scratch) or Latin class (Greek 5 days a week, with a 4.30pm lesson on the day when Latin is early). Language and grammar exercises.
    One tutorial per week: six essays required per term.
    One seminar per week, which thankfully requires little prep!
    Unseen Latin Translation once every two weeks
    I don't have any compulsory lectures, so otherwise I'm sort of free to go off to the Bod and do reading for my essays etc.

But anyway, you've been accepted to Oxford. Be very proud of yourself, it's a fantastic achievement, and - personally having experienced a term of Oxfordness! - you really shouldn't let the chance of studying in Ox slip through your fingers...

Jess
    xxx

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.