The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Smack
What the hell kind of subject can you get a first in with only 40 hours per week of total work?

Maths.
Reply 61
Flying Scotsman
A third is better than a 2.2. Gentleman's degree ftw.

Carol Vorderman and Richard Whiteley both got a third at Cambridge. I'm not sure what point I want to make there, I just wanted to say that, even though you may already know it.
Reply 62
Stephen Fry got a third as well.

My 2 cents :smile:
Reply 63
Quady
So you'd be happy with everyone getting a 1st then?

I'd be happy with everyone trying there hardest to get a 1st... maybe they'll introduce a 0 and a -1:p:
you have a point, losers doing economics (ill not even talk about micky mouse courses) at rubbish universities cover at most half of what I cover at LSE. (Source: friends) They admit getting a 2.1 there is like a third here
Reply 65
I didn't know it was bad, lol :s-smilie:
Phugoid
I think anything less than a 1st class degree is awful.

In my personal opinion, if you dedicate 3-5 solid years to your life to one big continuous goal/project, why would you be satisfied with anything less than a 1st class degree? I would feel like I had wasted my time.

A 2.1 is, essentially, a C grade. Cs are never viewed favourable.

This.
Phugoid
I think anything less than a 1st class degree is awful.

In my personal opinion, if you dedicate 3-5 solid years to your life to one big continuous goal/project, why would you be satisfied with anything less than a 1st class degree? I would feel like I had wasted my time.

A 2.1 is, essentially, a C grade. Cs are never viewed favourable.
If you do a proper course at a proper university then a 1st is a hell of a lot harder to get than A's at A'level. I did the latter with basically no effort, and the former working my arse off and only just scraping it.

If you think a 2:i is like a C then you'll probably get a 3rd because you're clearly an idiot.
Reply 68
Llamageddon
If you do a proper course at a proper university then a 1st is a hell of a lot harder to get than A's at A'level. I did the latter with basically no effort, and the former working my arse off and only just scraping it.

If you think a 2:i is like a C then you'll probably get a 3rd because you're clearly an idiot.

I can confirm for you that I study a proper course at a proper university and for every year I've been here so far (3 out of 5), I have achieved at a first class level, and not just scraping it, but getting the high 90%s. In fact, if I leave after this year, I will already have a 1st class Bachelor's degree, but I intend to turn it into a 1st class Masters.

I can also confirm for you that there was a typo in my post and that I meant that 2.2 is equivalent of a C grade, and that, indeed is the case. A 2.1 is basically a B grade, and while that's marginally better, it just doesn't do it for me.

To spend 3-5 years on something, and come away with anything less than perfection is a total waste of time, effort, and government money.

Unfortunately, university has stopped being viewed as "higher education" and started being viewed as "a mandatory sentence for anybody wanting to enter the world of work at some level above janitor". I think it's a great shame that higher education is basically abused like this. It used to be the case that the only people in universities were people who wanted to be there for the sake of education, and as a result, were only interested in achieving at the highest level. Today, the vast majority are either wasters who want to put off getting a job, or money-lovers who have no interest outside an expanding bank balance and want nothing more from university than a quite route to it.
Lord_Farquad
Most grad schemes suck. It's acceptable for ibanking so that's all that matters.

No, it is not acceptable for ibanking (with the notable exception of GS!)
henrykravis
No, it is not acceptable for ibanking (with the notable exception of GS!)

I know several people with 2:2's from Cambridge and Oxford who are all at bulge brackets.
If you tried your very best and received a 2:2 then well done, it's certainly an achievement in its own right and you should be proud of what you achieved.

The only reason it's considered inferiour to say, a first or a 2:1, is because of the astronomical amount of graduates these days - who are all equipped with firsts or 2:1s and who'll already have an advantage over you, which could be the difference between them being summoned to an interview and you falling on deaf ears.
Phugoid
I can confirm for you that I study a proper course at a proper university and for every year I've been here so far (3 out of 5), I have achieved at a first class level, and not just scraping it, but getting the high 90%s. In fact, if I leave after this year, I will already have a 1st class Bachelor's degree, but I intend to turn it into a 1st class Masters.

I can also confirm for you that there was a typo in my post and that I meant that 2.2 is equivalent of a C grade, and that, indeed is the case. A 2.1 is basically a B grade, and while that's marginally better, it just doesn't do it for me.

To spend 3-5 years on something, and come away with anything less than perfection is a total waste of time, effort, and government money.

Unfortunately, university has stopped being viewed as "higher education" and started being viewed as "a mandatory sentence for anybody wanting to enter the world of work at some level above janitor". I think it's a great shame that higher education is basically abused like this. It used to be the case that the only people in universities were people who wanted to be there for the sake of education, and as a result, were only interested in achieving at the highest level. Today, the vast majority are either wasters who want to put off getting a job, or money-lovers who have no interest outside an expanding bank balance and want nothing more from university than a quite route to it.

FAILED!

Why on earth didn't you get a 100%? you clearly failed in your own eyes. you should be ashamed.
I think everyone should stop being so god damn harsh, so what if their trying to make themselves feel better?

If you got a 2:2 you would also do everything to make yourself feel better.

There's being realistic and telling it like it is, and then there's just mocking the OP and being harsh for your own pleasure.

Basically OP, I think you should work on other aspects of your CV, to 'level the playing field', and a 2:2 isn't very good, but it's not the end of the world. Also, there's nothing you can do about it now, so just forget about it and work hard at whatever you decide to do next.
Reply 74
SouthernFreerider
FAILED!

Why on earth didn't you get a 100%? you clearly failed in your own eyes. you should be ashamed.

I have a PERFECT aggregation score (which is what is used to decide your degree classification) and a PERFECT GPA.

Thank you very much.
Phugoid
I couldn't give a crap about everyone else. I'm talking about me and how I would feel if I got a 2.2, or less than a 1st.

But if everybody who currently attends uni just now was capable of a first, and got a first, I really can't imagine what kind of utopia we'd be living in after they graduated.

I agree with you, that is how I would also feel, however, your point about people not getting firsts can't apply to everyone, i'm not sure if you meant other people should be ashamed of not getting firsts or not, but if you did then you need to keep in mind that not everyone is as smart as the people that get firsts, some people, even after dauntingly hard work, still scrape 2:1s, but that doesn't mean we should refuse them higher education.

Apologies if you didn't mean that though.
Reply 76
jackanswers
I recently graduated with a 2.2 in Bsc Biomedical Science. I personally am proud of what I achieved because I know I worked very hard throughout my degree and due to the extensive and diverse nature of the curriculum it is difficult to get a 2.1 degree.

I am hoping to understand this fascination of getting a 2.1 as a minimum. I am aware of graduate jobs for private organisations which require a 2.1 minimum, which I believe is really stupid. They should look into the background of a degree rather than standardise everything. Your opinions please?

I guess 2:2 is more like an average grade and average grade does not really set yourself apart from the rest I guess.

That said, for less competitive places a 2:2 is fine.
Phugoid
I have a PERFECT aggregation score (which is what is used to decide your degree classification) and a PERFECT GPA.

Thank you very much.

congrats.
Reply 78
CliffordChance
I agree with you, that is how I would also feel, however, your point about people not getting firsts can't apply to everyone, i'm not sure if you meant other people should be ashamed of not getting firsts or not, but if you did then you need to keep in mind that not everyone is as smart as the people that get firsts, some people, even after dauntingly hard work, still scrape 2:1s, but that doesn't mean we should refuse them higher education.

Apologies if you didn't mean that though.

I'm not sure what you mean.

What I'm saying is that I don't like the attitude that is the most common attitude among today's university students - that university isn't about getting an education, and that it is simply a means to an ends to making more money than you would if you never went.

If you take the people who went to university in the 1950s and put them in today's universities, I predict that they would ALL get firsts. The reason for that being that, in 1950, anybody who went to university went there for the education and to do their very best, and because university education has become substantially less trying in modern times (in order to get more and more people through university).

So of course, there are many people who don't need to feel ashamed with a 2.2 or a 2.1. In fact, most people AIM for those grades from the second they walk in the door because it is the minimum they need for whatever job they have their eye on. But for the people who come to university for the education, rather than for the CV, getting anything less than a 1st would be a waste of time. But it is my personal opinion that it is only these people who should be at university in the first place.
Reply 79
Depends on the uni and the subject. It is harder to get a 1st at a top ten uni then something than such as... Edge Hill. And obviously it is harder to get a better grade at Law than Media Studies for example. Biomedical Science sounds perfectly reputable to me. So if you're degree reflects that then I think you should be fine. Jst try and get plenty of work experience in your chosen field because this ultimately shows that you have the practical skills than just a piece of paper to do the job, which is very important to employers

Latest

Trending

Trending