Promising signs... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Manchester City Football club is going to be the first sporting venue in the world to build ints own wind turnine on the grounds, which will not only power the entire stadium, but also 2000 other nearby homes.

"Manchester City Football Club is aiming to power its stadium and 2,000 nearby homes with what will be the UK's largest land-based wind turbine...

The club said the project will be "a global first in sporting history.

Ecotricity says it is passionate about building "unobtrusive and attractive turbines" and described Sir Foster's design as "sleek"...

The carbon emission savings from the SportCity turbine would be equivalent to that of at least 2,000 homes and would really make strides into the long-term goal of making Manchester a truly green city."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4742675.stm

This is an inspiring move by the club, that i'm sure will lead to wider interest across Britain and the world, and is encouraging to see that new innovation and design is being used to make the turbines more attractive, making such big strides towards integrating these new energy resources into our environment effectively...

Lets hope to see more in the near future, I know I wouldn't mind a few at the local racecourse to power the area up...

Would you mind having one of these near you? What are your views on such forms of renewable energy?
!Laxy!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Beekeeper)
Manchester City Football club is going to be the first sporting venue in the world to build ints own wind turnine on the grounds, which will not only power the entire stadium, but also 2000 other nearby homes.

"Manchester City Football Club is aiming to power its stadium and 2,000 nearby homes with what will be the UK's largest land-based wind turbine...

The club said the project will be "a global first in sporting history.

Ecotricity says it is passionate about building "unobtrusive and attractive turbines" and described Sir Foster's design as "sleek"...

The carbon emission savings from the SportCity turbine would be equivalent to that of at least 2,000 homes and would really make strides into the long-term goal of making Manchester a truly green city."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4742675.stm

This is an inspiring move by the club, that i'm sure will lead to wider interest across Britain and the world, and is encouraging to see that new innovation and design is being used to make the turbines more attractive, making such big strides towards integrating these new energy resources into our environment effectively...

Lets hope to see more in the near future, I know I wouldn't mind a few at the local racecourse to power the area up...

Would you mind having one of these near you? What are your views on such forms of renewable energy?
(Original post by !Laxy!)
- Divert all those other £billions of development money still going into the nuclear industry into wind, tidal, biomass, solar power, combined heat and power schemes (CHP) and hydrogen technology.
Many of these are very controversial, moreso wind turbines. You can't build one turbine without a community kicking up a storm.
Hypocrisy *cough* Hypocrisy
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be honest I was expecting a punchline for some reason.

I think that it'd be better to invest in nuclear energy because renewable takes up far too much space in a small country like ours, but if its unobtrussive it should be okay but it's never going to power all of Britain.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent p......?)
To be honest I was expecting a punchline for some reason.

I think that it'd be better to invest in nuclear energy because renewable takes up far too much space in a small country like ours, but if its unobtrussive it should be okay but it's never going to power all of Britain.
If football clubs want to start building new smart turbines to contribute to fulfilling power demands then thats great!
We don't have to say goodbye to nuclear, certainly not! But you can't deny that this is a very smart move...
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by !Laxy!)
Hypocrisy *cough* Hypocrisy
Sorry?
Lord Waddell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My area would be great for Wind Power, since there are loads of hills and wind. The only problem is that it is also an area of scenic beauty (so its said, but I don't really regard boggy moorland and wind swept hills as scenic). But the landowners seem happy to have them on their land, so why not? There is a lot of local protesting againt wind farms, but in my view we should wait to see what the government's energy policy will be, whether they are going to build new nuclear power stations before we start building wind farms.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Waddell)
My area would be great for Wind Power, since there are loads of hills and wind. The only problem is that it is also an area of scenic beauty (so its said, but I don't really regard boggy moorland and wind swept hills as scenic). But the landowners seem happy to have them on their land, so why not? There is a lot of local protesting againt wind farms, but in my view we should wait to see what the government's energy policy will be, whether they are going to build new nuclear power stations before we start building wind farms.
Yes I agree, but I think its fantastic that private companies, such as Football clubs are tackling the problems of climate change in their own effective way.

If a local racecourse, for example, invests in 5 of these new "sleek" turbines then 10,000 houses could be powered, thats a small town, powered by clean, renewable energy!

Every little helps
!Laxy!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sorry?
Many of these are very controversial, moreso wind turbines. You can't build one turbine without a community kicking up a storm.
Surely people should be
kicking up a storm.
............ :rolleyes:
ArthurOliver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I half agree Beek, I cycle in to the Yorkshurr (as you lot pronounce it) Dales a coupla times a week and I've seen wind turbines--no great eyesoreness inflicted.

We have to think of their efficiency though, any links? How much capacity have they really when we contrast them with nuclear say, or consider our aesthetic ideals?

Have you been watching Corrie? The swinging door idea got you excited? You can buy shoes which will collect energy as you walk - enough to power your favourite battery powered late night friend.

Over and above that we'll make little (though welcome) progress with Man City like endeavours.

[Bike is a Trek 2000 for the interested--everyday bikes are a bashed Dawes Galaxy Tourer and a Fuji Ace]
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ArthurOliver)
I half agree Beek, I cycle in to the Yorkshurr (as you lot pronounce it) Dales a coupla times a week and I've seen wind turbines--no great eyesoreness inflicted.

We have to think of their efficiency though, any links? How much capacity have they really when we contrast them with nuclear say, or consider our aesthetic ideals?

Have you been watching Corrie? The swinging door idea got you excited? You can buy shoes which will collect energy as you walk - enough to power your favourite battery powered late night friend.

Over and above that we'll make little (though welcome) progress with Man City like endeavours.

[Bike is a Trek 2000 for the interested--everyday bikes are a bashed Dawes Galaxy Tourer and a Fuji Ace]
The Yorkshire Dales won't look as nice when they're scorched by UV rays and fried by global warming. Where it is possible renewable sources should be used, and powering rural communities and small towns is surely the best way to start. This plan by Man City is great, and as Beek said, "every little helps".

As an aside I'm off to the Dales this weekend to see my grandparents.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lord Waddell)
no it doesnt sound like scenic beauty!get those turbines up!

im soooo glad i'm a city boy because i wouldnt be able to stand living in farmy-type areas, and then having the look ruined by something i agree with- my mind would be torn in two!
Tom H
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah well, when fusion comes along we can take down the wind turbines anyway
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads