Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    wow! just remembered about that caterpillar in alice in wonderland thanks to that article! its well weird in the disney film, will have to watch that again!

there are a couple of shisha cafes on wilmslow road in manchester. definitely a social thing!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I've always wanted to try it, but its not as easy to sneak behind your parents back as cigarettes! Iranians call it Qelyun and it's popular there, but the young and trendy smoke it rather than just the old men which seems to be common in other countries. But my Dad said I can try it when I go to Turkey this summer

ReputationRep:
    In French, it's called narguilé so in a Moroccan or Tunisian place, you might see it written that way.

It's not that great... although I did get a bad headache last time I had one at this Turkish place in Bayswater (where I was told I couldn't take a picture of the belly dancers ) but that was probably because of the lack of clean air in that place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be controversial and say i'm not so keen on them

I used to like sheeshas actually (esp. cherry) but maybe i inhale a bit too much now.. i dunno.. but i just feel choked and its not nice.

But i love the smell of them, and the atmosphere of the place, so i generally just sit there with a couple of marlboro instead...

ReputationRep:
    me too...i hate cigarettes and cigarette smoke makes me sick

but shisha is sooooooooo fine....i love the smell more then anything, strawberry always smells good...

ReputationRep:
    I tried it just to see what all the hype was about. I must not have been doing it right though, because I had a few puffs, but really didn't see the big deal about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think for most people its all about the atmosphere with it - you get the best conversations when you just sit around with your mates and you all unwind together...cant be beaten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I think for most people its all about the atmosphere with it - you get the best conversations when you just sit around with your mates and you all unwind together...cant be beaten
    True
    My friends once had sheesha on a mountain in Iran 4 years ago. Must have been quite an experience!

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine...I had one in a shed in my mates house...does that count?
    Hopefully i will share a few when i go climbing in nepal next year - that would be mental

ReputationRep:
    Mm, I was toking on one last night shortly after this thread was posted....Bought one with 2 friends as a present to ourselves around Christmastime, it's had a good lot of use in various social situations

2 Apples flavour, mmm.

ReputationRep:
    i dont smoke ciggarettes
    but it goes the other way with shisha
    there are lots of flavours
    and its smell is nice

ReputationRep:
    I hate cigarettes with passion, but I like Sheesha.
    It tastes so clean and tasty. And blowing hoops is so fun.

ReputationRep:
    Dare I mention that this is one of the many benefits of multiculturalism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpali)
    A sheesha is a way of smoking tobacco...Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheesha

Apparently, one sheesha is equivalent to 18 cigarettes! Err..don't feel so good about them now...
    yeh its sooo bad for your health but people dont realise because u cant 'feel' it and its fun..

ReputationRep:
    well...no - its pretty inconclusive...
    it states it migh reduce carcinogens, but then might give a greater nicotene hit (which sounds ridiculous considering you only use half as much nicotene...)
    There is no definitive answer - smoking will be bad for you. but since the water does remove some of the compounds, that can only make it better, if not by a huge amount.

ReputationRep:
    I had one in a shed in my mates house...does that count?
    Mountain or shed? Mountain or shed? Mountain or shed?

Does it actually taste nice unlike cigarettes?! And do you inhale and suck the mokse in the same way?

ReputationRep:
    yes and if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    There's a bar in Hong Kong which allows the people to try it. Personally I'm not interested at all because I hate all kinds of smoking - cig's, cigar's and all. Besides, I doubt it'd do my asthma any good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Mountain or shed? Mountain or shed? Mountain or shed?
    Remember....if you fall over pished in a shed you hit the wall. If you do the same on a mountain you could be in a lot of trouble! but i would still choose the mountain (aslong as i could climb it first )

ReputationRep:
    doubt it'd do my asthma any good.
    :laugh:

Remember....if you fall over pished in a shed you hit the wall. If you do the same on a mountain you could be in a lot of trouble
    lol

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.