Are year 10 GCSE exams as important??? Watch

Xx.MissEG.xX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm in year 10 now and our GCSE exams are in May and June. I haven't done any yet, only coursework. For all of them except Spanish (in top set) and Catering and Business (they don't have a tier) I'm doing foundation and our teachers have promised to let us do higher tier next year if we get a C in the foundation...
Well, I wanted to ask if they are really important, and if I can still get an A/A* at the end of my GCSE's if I do foundation this year??? And, also if I can reset them next year and do higher???

Btw. I'm a good student and get A/A*/B in my coursework...
Thanks
EffKayy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, it is good your school is offering you the opportunity to take part in early GCSE's in year 10. If you do get a C now, in may, you can resit it next year to get an A*. They do matter, good luck with the revision
ibelongtoslytherin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Honestly, year 10 exams werent important for me at all/ That doesnt help, I know.

Im going
('',)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't duplicate threads, people answered you on your previous thread. Ask them for clarification if you're unsure.
Xx.MissEG.xX
Rep:
?
(Original post by EffKayy)
Yes, it is good your school is offering you the opportunity to take part in early GCSE's in year 10. If you do get a C now, in may, you can resit it next year to get an A*. They do matter, good luck with the revision

Hey, thanks for answering my question, I'm so glad I'll be able to resit it next year in Higher tier... Oh and by the way when I asked if they matter I meant if they will count towards my final GCSE grade... Haha thanks I already started revising...
RamsFanNo1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They are important to an extent. If they count towards a whole GCSE like as in for instance double science (which you take half your module in year 10 and the other half in year 11) then yes they are important. If however it is a subject in which your school makes you take which you don't think is important to you in later life then no, it isn't very important. However I do stress still take these seriously and try to do your best, it is good practice for later exams and a good result/grade this year can boost you to greater things come the year after
EffKayy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX)
Hey, thanks for answering my question, I'm so glad I'll be able to resit it next year in Higher tier... Oh and by the way when I asked if they matter I meant if they will count towards my final GCSE grade... Haha thanks I already started revising...
Erm, I think it will. If there are like specific modules, then it will - if there is just one exam then it wont? Ask your teacher(:
lassiesuca
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I was in year nine, I took the Higher Core Science in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I didn't revise because I didn't think they'd matter, I got a B-Biology, C-Chemistry and a D in Physics, so I re-sat them in January of year 10. All my exams I am taking are Higher Tier, I am gifted and talented for German and Spanish, which means that in year 10, I spend the year doing the whole German GCSE, with my exams for that in year 10, then when I'm in year 11, I will be doing Spanish. I do all my orals, speaking, listening and reading etc for German this year. For Drama, I have a 2000 piece coursework on either 'An Inspector Calls' or 'Women in Black' to do, and then more in year 11. For Geography, I take Specification A at the end of year 10 and likewise for Business Studies, I take English Language at the end of year 10 and I do my Additional Sciences in year 10 as well, doing Triple in Year 11.
I think they are important, but I prefer doing it like this, as it is all spread out and dispersed across the two years, instead of having to cram it all in at the end of year 11, but I think you should try and take it seriously- I am still trying to get my head around it all, I don't think it has sunk in the work I'm actually doing, and I still think it is quite a laugh, school- but I do need to begin doing work and revision- otherwise I'm screwed, lol!
bacforever3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in year 10 now and our GCSE exams are in May and June. I haven't done any yet, only coursework. For all of them except Spanish (in top set) and Catering and Business (they don't have a tier) I'm doing foundation and our teachers have promised to let us do higher tier next year if we get a C in the foundation...
Well, I wanted to ask if they are really important, and if I can still get an A/A* at the end of my GCSE's if I do foundation this year??? And, also if I can reset them next year and do higher???

Btw. I'm a good student and get A/A*/B in my coursework...
Thanks
I would say so...
Only because I didnt originally work as hard as I could have, under the impression I was going to resit them but as others got high grades I really really wish I had put more effort in when I had the time to put effort in rather than when I was too busy...

I ended up with 2A*s and 7 A's but, as I just got rejected from a university which takes into account your GCSE's I am seriously more aware of the importanceof getting the best grades every time!!!
Xx.MissEG.xX
Rep:
?
(Original post by EffKayy)
Erm, I think it will. If there are like specific modules, then it will - if there is just one exam then it wont? Ask your teacher(:
It's not modules, just one exam... I might ask..
Xx.MissEG.xX
Rep:
?
(Original post by bacforever3)
I would say so...
Only because I didnt originally work as hard as I could have, under the impression I was going to resit them but as others got high grades I really really wish I had put more effort in when I had the time to put effort in rather than when I was too busy...

I ended up with 2A*s and 7 A's but, as I just got rejected from a university which takes into account your GCSE's I am seriously more aware of the importanceof getting the best grades every time!!!
I'm hoping I'll be able to reset them.. But I'm doing foundation for some exams so I won't have to revise as much for them... But I'll have to revise more next year when I'll reset them in higher tier... What university was that??? A's are good!!! :confused:
Captain Nebula
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not at all.
bacforever3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm hoping I'll be able to reset them.. But I'm doing foundation for some exams so I won't have to revise as much for them... But I'll have to revise more next year when I'll reset them in higher tier... What university was that??? A's are good!!! :confused:
Durham... A*'s are better....
catherinelove
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yesssss unis look at your gcse grades
uglylikeyoursister
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes.
11esmbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
im in year 10 too its hard tho and I am good student
joe12341234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've just finished year 10, going into year eleven next month. i haven't tried hard all year because i didn't think that my exams counted for anything to do with my GCSE's, but it just occurred to me that they might have but haven't been told that they were can anyone tell me if all schools have some type of exam(s) that count towards your GCSE in year 10 or not (edexcel board btw) thanks
meatspin9069648
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thanks for the help
meatspin9069648
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
wanna meatspin with me
ken33333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
this does not apply for this year the model they studied in 2010 has changed so much well for me anyway because i have to study the new curriculum. and my year 10 grades are going to be on my application form for college and now i regret not taking them seriously .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (112)
24.89%
The paper was reasonable (199)
44.22%
Not feeling great about that exam (84)
18.67%
It was TERRIBLE (55)
12.22%

Watched Threads