The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
German or Spanish.
French, Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, German.

GOGOGO.
KayK
I really feel motivated to learn a new language, i was thinking 'Mandarin', is this a good choice? But i don't want it to be too hard and i heard Mandarin was very complicated.

How about Cantonese if not Mandarin?

Which one? :s-smilie: And Why?

I'd like to add, that I aim to take either Philosophy, Psychology or Genetics.
And I have family members who can help me out in Cantonese.

Cantonese is just a variation of spoken Mandarin. The writing is the same, unless you go for "Traditional" over "Simplified" Chinese characters, which isn't used in 95% of China.

The biggest minus against Cantonese is that people will assume that you A)Own a restaurant or B)Work in a restaurant.

I'd go for Mandarin out of the 2.

You could always consider Spanish, French, Portugese, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Urdu, all spoken by lots of people.
Reply 43
The-Real-One
Cantonese is just a variation of spoken Mandarin. The writing is the same, unless you go for "Traditional" over "Simplified" Chinese characters, which isn't used in 95% of China.

The biggest minus against Cantonese is that people will assume that you A)Own a restaurant or B)Work in a restaurant.

I'd go for Mandarin out of the 2.

You could always consider Spanish, French, Portugese, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Urdu, all spoken by lots of people.

Hmm..Well im going for Italian, that shouldn't take too long.

But im either going with Mandarin or Japanese...But i still want to do cantonese, but because you said theres barely a difference im going with Mandarin and pretty sure my family could still help me out.

Unless i choose Japanese, which seems easier. Unless i do Italian - Japanese and THEN Mandarin...

Latest

Trending

Trending