Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well i supose i ment top Uni's in general.

Option A Or Option B

ReputationRep:
    I reckon History, Geography, Bio, Chem, Phys, maths, English lit and languages are the best. They're the most rewarding too, you'll take very little away from film studies and could have just done it at weekend, except with some popcorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DemonDemonic)
    Right then
    It boils down to which is better:

OPTION A
    English Literature
    Law
    Politics
    Philosophy

Or Option B
    History
    English Language And Literature
    Politics
    Philosophy

Everybody says that top uni's don't like English Language Literature because students are not stong in any one subject and probaly weak in both.

So Its Boils down to which is more hated...Law Or English Language Literature

Is It Better To Have Law which is extreamley realvent to your Politics degree paired with English Literature which has good credit with Uni's

Or is it better to do History which is respected with English Language Literature which isn't...

CAST YOUR VOTES NOW!...LOL
    Option B - doesn't really matter, choose yourself between whether you'd prefer (edit)History/Law, but I'd say B would be better respected for politics as you have the English aspect of things as well as History - my school gets 70 ppl into oxbridge a year and don't even offer Law ;-)

(Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Option B - doesn't really matter, choose yourself between whether you'd prefer (edit)History/Law, but I'd say B would be better respected for politics as you have the English aspect of things as well as History - my school gets 70 ppl into oxbridge a year and don't even offer Law ;-)
    70 people a year into oxbridge that is high, for any school. What school do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you not considering...
    A language : German AS is not a far cry from GCSE (esp. with Edexcel)
    Mathematics: Mechanics is evil (many MANY people would disagree), but core is easy, and it ALWAYS looks good - shows versatility and application of knowledge.

Why are you considering...
    Philosophy: This is barely a subject at A-level. I was worried about applying for PPE without any knowledge, but, having looked at exam questions, I doubt admissions tutors for top unis would be impressed. Read some Hobbes, Mill and Machiavelli if your interest is Political Philosophy.
    Law: Ditto. (except I know little about the A-level course). If you combine it with impressive subjects such as History, Eng Lit and Maths it should be alright.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is relevant for politics, you're restricting yourself in terms of modules by not doing it. But definitely the set of A-levels without Law.

ReputationRep:
    English Language Literature (Is it far better to take full Literature?)
    Film Studies (is that a obvious sign that your taking the easy route?)
    General Studies (Same as above)
    Media Studies (An easy A-Level?)
    Sociology (Not bright enough to take Psychology?)

English literature is more respected than the combined course, but I don't think it matters too much since you're applying for politics rather than English. If you enjoy literature, take that, but if you think you'd prefer the combined course, it should be OK to take that. Media studies and film studies are regarded as some of the most 'mickey mouse' subjects you can take, and General Studies is worse because most top universities don't even include it in their offers, so only take that if it's compulsory. Sociology and psychology don't have particularly good reputations either. Since you're applying for politics, there are no set requirements and you should choose 4 subjects (plus General Studies if you have to) that you enjoy, although I wouldn't recommend taking more than one 'soft' subject.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering as I need to make a few important decisions soon; what The Top Uni's thought of subjects like:

English Language Literature (Is it far better to take full Literature?)
    Film Studies (is that a obvious sign that your taking the easy route?)
    General Studies (Same as above)
    Media Studies (An easy A-Level?)
    Sociology (Not bright enough to take Psychology?)

I didn't mean to offend anybody taking any of these subjects i just wanted honest opinions.
    hi, to be honest, all of these subjects are not highly looked upon.

Can I ask, are you preparing to take all of the subjects?

ReputationRep:
    OPTION A
    English Literature
    Law
    Politics
    Philosophy

Or Option B
    History
    Politics
    Philosophy

Hmmm, even in those combinations you only have 1 traditional subject really (English lit in Option A, history in Option B). It's a shame your school/college isn't more flexible with timetabling. Out of those 2, I'd say you should just go with whatever you'll enjoy more because in Option A English lit is respected and law isn't, but in Option B history is respected and Engllish lang/lit isn't particularly. Option B is probably slightly better because the combined English course is more respected than law, but law would be more relevant to your course...

ReputationRep:
    Well i supose i ment top Uni's in general.

Option A Or Option B
    sorry didnt read your next post.

seriously, if you are considering applying to oxbridge, don't take some of the "easy" A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    i'd generally agree with what people have said above. however, i will give you two anecdotes of people from my school, both who went on to do law, one at keble oxford, the other at sidney sussex

the oxford dude had law alevel. didn't seem to affect him in the slightest. he did combine eng lit and i think politics with it though

the girl at sidney had the following alevels: Politics, Business Studies, Psychology, and AS German

she got a straight offer from the college, and has just finished the first year with a 2.i.

basically, if you have the brains, and can apply your subjects to your course in some way, think critically about them rather than just regurgitate what you have been given in lesso hand-outs, then you may stand a very good chance.

but lets be on the safe side, and take full english lit. general studes will never be accepted by oxbridge, nor by any other top unis in the country. so if you can avoid doing it (some schools unfortunately make it compulsory) then don't bother. if you enjoy waffling on for 3 hours about topical issues, then you might as well sit the exam anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    sorry didnt read your next post.

seriously, if you are considering applying to oxbridge, don't take some of the "easy" A-Levels.
    I think it would be OK to take 1, but you should really have 3 other traditional subjects alongside it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Sociology is EXTREMELY well regarded by admissions tutors - if anything it's Psychology that's still getting established.

Despite a misconseption amongst a lot of A level students it isn't considered to be a wishy washy subject AT ALL - I've heard a lot of admissions tutors for arts and social science courses (as well as a few science bods) state that they actually preefr it to History.
    Yay

Anyway, I feel really dumb for not noticing this before, but you've already chosen politics, philosophy, law, English languge and literature and film studies for your ASs, so us advising you on which subjects to take is really pointless! You can't do anything about them now, so if you get at least AAB or perferably AAA out of your AS subjects, you might as well apply. The admissions tutors will be able to see from your grades that you're not stupid, and as long as you can justify your choice of subjects (interested in them, relevant to your course etc) you have a chance. Just make sure you get your referee to mention the car accident as a reason for your GCSE grades and if I were you, I'd resit maths next year too just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    no school ive ever heard of sends that many. are you sure that's not 70 applicants?

ReputationRep:
    depends on the size of the school. MGS got around 40 in, just to oxford, last year

ReputationRep:
    I did the combined English course for my A level (Lang + Lit) and still got an offer but I think straight literature is much more respected. I would have chosen that if it had fit my timetable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen_A)
    Philosophy: This is barely a subject at A-level. I was worried about applying for PPE without any knowledge, but, having looked at exam questions, I doubt admissions tutors for top unis would be impressed. Read some Hobbes, Mill and Machiavelli if your interest is Political Philosophy.
    That is crazy!!! I did philosophy A level and it was actually very difficult and more of a "proper" subject than you think. If you want to go for a philosophy related degree, it's better taking that than any religious studies A level. I was very lucky that my school offered A level philosophy as I think it was very interesting and useful for my application.

ReputationRep:
    sorry my older brother has been posting here as well lol

ReputationRep:
    Right then
    It boils down to which is better:

OPTION A
    English Literature
    Law
    Politics
    Philosophy

Or Option B
    History
    Politics
    Philosophy
    Option B all the way...but I'd try and get rid of philosophy if I were you -it's just not considered to be a 'hard' A Level, as you can cover the whole A Level course in a few weeks at uni- same with law, politics and some of the others like physcology (probably spelt it wrong...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkPigeon)
    Option B all the way...but I'd try and get rid of philosophy if I were you -it's just not considered to be a 'hard' A Level, as you can cover the whole A Level course in a few weeks at uni- same with law, politics and some of the others like physcology (probably spelt it wrong...)
    Not true. Philosophy A level is a respected A level unlike Law and Psychology.

I dare you to try and cover philosophy A level in a few weeks. That would be an in depth coverage of the following modules AND a synoptic essay:

Descartes' Meditations
    Epistemology
    Philosophy of Religion
    Ayer's Language Truth and Logic
    Philosophy of Science

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.