_alice
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The Accrington Pals - Peter Whelan
Journey's End - R. C. Sherriff

Any help or general ideas on them would be appreciated.

I'm especially looking at the themes of 'The home front' and Comradeship.

Thanks
milkytea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's plenty about comradeship in Journey's End, just look at the talks between Osborne and Stanhope at any part of the book, and the way Stanhope looks after Raleigh in the last scene. Maybe say how the way Stanhope treats Osborne contrasts to the way he treats his superior officers. Depends on this essay title.

I haven't read the other, sorry.
Kersh17
Report 10 years ago
I'm reading through both now while i'm finishing my essay theres a lot about human weakness which is what my essay is on.
OliviaCairns
Report 10 years ago
Home front - Accrington Pals - look at the role of bertha (how she got a job) may (how her business developed, had ideas of her own) and generally all of the women sticking together (going to the town hall to find out what's happening to their men).
Journey's End - could talk about how the men see/reflect on their home life before the war. Mention the way they talk about home life in between discussing death/war.

Comradeship - Journeys End - same as what first person said. Talk about Osbourne and Stanhope perhaps (how Stanhope looks up to Osbourne even though he's a rank below him)
Accrington Pals - How the men all joined up together / women stick together. Not much to comment on really

_alice
(Original post by OliviaCairns)
Home front - Accrington Pals - look at the role of bertha (how she got a job) may (how her business developed, had ideas of her own) and generally all of the women sticking together (going to the town hall to find out what's happening to their men).
Journey's End - could talk about how the men see/reflect on their home life before the war. Mention the way they talk about home life in between discussing death/war.

Comradeship - Journeys End - same as what first person said. Talk about Osbourne and Stanhope perhaps (how Stanhope looks up to Osbourne even though he's a rank below him)
Accrington Pals - How the men all joined up together / women stick together. Not much to comment on really

Thanks alot, you really helped
_alice
(Original post by milkytea)
There's plenty about comradeship in Journey's End, just look at the talks between Osborne and Stanhope at any part of the book, and the way Stanhope looks after Raleigh in the last scene. Maybe say how the way Stanhope treats Osborne contrasts to the way he treats his superior officers. Depends on this essay title.

I haven't read the other, sorry.
Thanks
_alice
(Original post by Kersh17)
I'm reading through both now while i'm finishing my essay theres a lot about human weakness which is what my essay is on.
Thanks. I really like the idea of human weakness
milkytea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _alice)
Thanks
No problem :nah:
aka24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kersh17)
what are the human weakness in accrington pals?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?