Chip and PIN Watch

This discussion is closed.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'd rather not have to go through the whole stupid thing. How come they're allowed to force this new system on me anyway?
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
I'd rather not have to go through the whole stupid thing. How come they're allowed to force this new system on me anyway?
Pay by cash then.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But with the new chip and PIN card machine things which they have in shops, it's really easy for shop assistants, people in the queue behind you, etc., to see the numbers you're typing in. Much easier than trying to copy my signature.
Yes then they have to mug you for it. which gives you time after to phone up and stop the card. With cards before it only took two swipes at a shop for it to be copied (which is possible still) and then a card created which could be used to pay for things with your signature (this is my memory of how it worked) now they need your pin.
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Yeah, I'll carry lots of cash around with me, great idea...
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Or are you a card fraudster?... :eek: maybe THATS why you like the old signatures! TUT!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
christ, its 4 digits in a little machine over a signature. no big deal tbh.

tbh i cant see why they can't scan our fingerprints and get it all over with now. well untill criminals start chopping off fingers that is...
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
Yes then they have to mug you for it. which gives you time after to phone up and stop the card. With cards before it only took two swipes at a shop for it to be copied (which is possible still) and then a card created which could be used to pay for things with your signature (this is my memory of how it worked) now they need your pin.
Indeed. In fact, its exactly the same as using an ATM, and you can get round ATM fraudsters by... you guessed it... COVERING UP YOUR PIN WHEN YOU TYPE IT IN! Its not rocket science. If you're comfortable using ATM's then theres no reason to be uncomfortable with chip and PIN because its exactly the same principle!
Madelyn
Rep:
?
ATMs are different. There isn't usually a massive queue building up behind you like there is in a supermarket - and even if there is, it's further away - nor are there shop assistants on the other side. ATMs are kind of buried into walls, so they are already mostly hidden.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
christ, its 4 digits in a little machine over a signature. no big deal tbh.

tbh i cant see why they can't scan our fingerprints and get it all over with now. well untill criminals start chopping off fingers that is...
That'll be a future generation... I suppose it would be too expensive for credit card companies to implement. The next generation is RFID Credit cards, or "Blink" which you only have to walk past a compliant terminal and it automatically charges your card. THAT is insecure. Chip and PIN is so much more secure than that system as it stands at the moment.
See this link about Blink
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ATMs are different. There isn't usually a massive queue building up behind you like there is in a supermarket - and even if there is, it's further away - nor are there shop assistants on the other side. ATMs are kind of buried into walls, so they are already mostly hidden.
Where do you use an ATM? I'm always in a queue. It is SO easy to look over someone's shoulder at an ATM! Thats why you cover the keypad with your hand and type underneath!
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In fact! Incognito Chip and PIN machines have a special surround on them to help privacy... just rest your hand on top! Nobody can see what youre typing!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The biggest problem I've seen from relatives/friends is that with multiple cards they have problems remembering all their different pins lol
dhutch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Because the old one is lame and insecure, just get over it! :rolleyes:
natcho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've read this thread and I still don't understand what your problem is with the "chip & pin" system. Could you maybe summarise it?

It's a proven system and is designed to reduce fraud and missuse of cards. Ultimately that saves us, the consumer, money, as banks and credit card companies don't have such a big outgoing on repparation costs (as they reimburse you for purchases made on your stolen card).

Under the signature system, if someone stole your card, they also stole the "key" to using it (your signature on the back) until, of course, you cancelled the card. Under the new system, the only way someone can use your card (excluding the internet, etc) is if you let them see you enter the pin.

As others have said, if you don't like using chip & pin then pay by cash or cheque, or do your shopping on the internet. If you resent your bank for forcing it upon you then don't bank with them or open an account that only gives you a cash card.

I expect you probably lament the introduction of debit cards anyway.
natcho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
incidentally, another benefit of chip and pin is that you can let other people use your card to buy things (eg wife giving husband her card to do the shopping). Though I'm sure thats not what they were inteded to help!
Glory
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by smeets)
incidentally, another benefit of chip and pin is that you can let other people use your card to buy things (eg wife giving husband her card to do the shopping). Though I'm sure thats not what they were inteded to help!

my mom does that, my grandad is very old and cant see much (hes registered part sighted) Anyway she can sign on his account in the bank, pay water rates and stuff. She knows his pin and gets anything he needs.
username21537
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if youre worried about security with your pin, write the wrong pin on your card.

Someone nabs it, thinks "silly sod"

1st try, doesnt work, musta typed it in wrong:rolleyes:
2nd try, doesnt work, musta remembered it wrong :rolleyes:
check pin
3rd try, doesnt work, card safe
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most shops let you sign still, though Juno's right, they're not obliged to.

I'm a bit annoyed about Chip & Pin though. I went to the cashpoint to get 20 quid out, and it wouldn't even let me check my balance. I went to the bank and queued for half an hour, only to be told that a new Chip and Pin card had been sent to my new branch for collection, but no one thought to tell me. I was also told that, as it had been two months, the thing might have been destroyed. Luckily, when I got there, the card was there, and I finally got my cash out.

so, that's my Chip & Pin story. I rarely use my card as a Debit card, just to withdraw cash.
bethan_ceri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think chip and pin is well easier i work for next and when on the tills the assistants cant see the pin being entered and there more busy doing other things. but it does speed up the whole process.
dhutch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thats excelant. (thinks up a random 4digit number and grabs the CD marker pen on his left)

Daniel
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise