The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I prefer chip and pin and feel that it is much securer than signature. although i use my card more for withdrawing cash or for over internet. can keep track of spending beter that way
As said before. Signature is on the card.

Then again soon i recon someone will work out how to crack the chip and find out the pin
Reply 42
MR_JR
Then again soon i recon someone will work out how to crack the chip and find out the pin

But the pin isnt on the chip, thats half the point!!

Also, to all the people who moan that can rember all the pins.
- You do know you can get then changed to whatever you want!

Daniel
Reply 43
dogtanian
Most shops let you sign still, though Juno's right, they're not obliged to.

I'm a bit annoyed about Chip & Pin though. I went to the cashpoint to get 20 quid out, and it wouldn't even let me check my balance. I went to the bank and queued for half an hour, only to be told that a new Chip and Pin card had been sent to my new branch for collection, but no one thought to tell me. I was also told that, as it had been two months, the thing might have been destroyed. Luckily, when I got there, the card was there, and I finally got my cash out.

so, that's my Chip & Pin story. I rarely use my card as a Debit card, just to withdraw cash.

Mmm thats a bitch. Luckly my banks are quite good when it comes to sending out cards.

Your story is more about your bank's process for giving their customers new cards (which has to happen every so often anyway) rather than chip & pin being bad, IMHO.
Reply 44
We've just had a chip and pin system installed at work. It's much better IMO - I picked it up within a few minutes and they had me training the entire staff! Some were terrrrible at it and it really is so, so easy to use.
dhutch
But the pin isnt on the chip, thats half the point!!

Also, to all the people who moan that can rember all the pins.
- You do know you can get then changed to whatever you want!

Daniel

in which case how is it varified as correct or incorrect?
Reply 46
MR_JR
in which case how is it varified as correct or incorrect?

I agree. I'm pretty sure the pin must be on the chip. All the machines surely don't have a live connection to the banks....
Reply 47
Ive changed my pin and it works fine, i think it works by the cash machine changes the pin on the chip, like changing a password.
Madelyn
My bank, Barclay's, has just sent me a new card and PIN number without me having requested them or anything. I have a Visa Electron debit card thing. Do I have to use this new card? Am I allowed to just carry on with my old card? I don't like the whole idea of chip and PIN, especially since I've read reports of it being much less secure. Are all banks now moving to this chip and PIN thing?

I think you'll find that most banks, as well as most places where you would use a debit card, are now moving over to the chip and pin system.
smeets
Your story is more about your bank's process for giving their customers new cards (which has to happen every so often anyway) rather than chip & pin being bad, IMHO.

I know it is.

But it's chip & pin related. Had it not been for chip & pin, I'd have known when my new card was due. It relates to the original point about this being sent to us without us knowing beforehand.

I didn't post it as a tale of woe about the chip & pin system, and I know it's my bank's fault.
Reply 50
The only bit I don't like so far is that it's supposed to be so that you don't have to give your card to the assistant. But at some places, they either take it off you and insert it in the thing for you, or occasionally swipe it somewhere!
Reply 51
Wow, can't believe everyone is having problems! In Aussie they have had chip and pin for A DECADE, when we moved over here we were so shocked that the UK was that backward :eek: , chip and pin is so much more secure because you actually have to know the number. Signing a receipt on the other hand is just stupid, you can scribble anything you want and they don't even look at it. Chip and pin is simple, safe and bringing Britain out of the middle ages.
Juno
The only bit I don't like so far is that it's supposed to be so that you don't have to give your card to the assistant. But at some places, they either take it off you and insert it in the thing for you, or occasionally swipe it somewhere!

I think thats just an etiquette thing that we dont know what to do yet. I tend to ask customers if they know how to put it in and if not, ill show them.
Reply 53
dogtanian
I didn't post it as a tale of woe about the chip & pin system

What exactly did you post it as then? :confused:
smeets
What exactly did you post it as then? :confused:

Just a little rant about my bank that didn't warrant its own thread, but i posted it as it was loosely related. Debit cards and all.

and Ninky, we don't have Chip and PIN at work, and I always check signatures. But then i check five pound notes for watermarks too...
Reply 55
smeets
I agree. I'm pretty sure the pin must be on the chip. All the machines surely don't have a live connection to the banks....

The machines are linked to the bank same as before how else would it be authorised?
Reply 56
Hmm thats a good point. What about when you use your credit card on the train or something?
smeets
Hmm thats a good point. What about when you use your credit card on the train or something?

Card scanners use the phone line. Magnetic strip and chip and pin both have to connect to the card issuer, be it bank or credit card company, to see whether the person has money in their account or is within their credit limit.

This happened on trains that take cards before chip and pin, and indeed planes and other forms of transprt, so it probably checks the pin in the same way.
Reply 58
Thanks for the info.

What I meant, though, is that on the train you can buy tickets (by CREDIT) card, and the guard's machine definitely isn't connected live to the bank/credit card companies. Presumably they just store the details then put through the transaction later on? By the by, this is all using magnetic strip, not chip & pin.

I also always thought that before debit cards came along supermarkets and other big stores weren't all connected live to the bank, but put all their transactions through at once during the night.
Well, they still need to check with the bank whether the person has money in the bank to take out. Yes, it's all withdrawn later, but if you don't have the cash, or the credit, your card is declined.

When a card is swpied, it does dial. I know because I have to wait flipping ages at work for card payments to go through as our machine is ancient. It would be the same on trains. If it didn't connect to ensure a payment can be made at the end of the day, everyone could go over their credit limits and spend money that they don't have on Debit..

I don't see why it wouldn't be the same with chip and pin.

Latest

Trending

Trending