ID cards Watch

This discussion is closed.
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silent p......?)
I was just trying to say how we can't really judge until after we know how the ID cards will be made, but in general there are more ways they can be used advantageously then for wrongdoing.
At what cost?
organised_chaos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
An idea has sprung to mind which may be a little far fetched, alluding to minority report, but ill bring it up anyway. If these i.d. cards had some sort of chip in them wouldn't it be possible to install machines in tube stations in whcih u insert your i.d. card then your ticket with turnstyles and any would-be terrorists or suspects could have restricted access or trigger a security alert....perhaps im living in a media warped world...
......?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HearTheThunder)
But they weren't. Lots of people dead. Money spent on ID card scheme wasted.

Oops.
There not just for terrorism, and I said that ID cards would have helped the investigations, may even have stopped the follow up attack because the terrorists were British and so would have an ID card.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by organised_chaos)
An idea has sprung to mind which may be a little far fetched, alluding to minority report, but ill bring it up anyway. If these i.d. cards had some sort of chip in them wouldn't it be possible to install machines in tube stations in whcih u insert your i.d. card then your ticket with turnstyles and any would-be terrorists or suspects could have restricted access or trigger a security alert....perhaps im living in a media warped world...
I won't start with the orwellian stuff :p: but yeah I'm sure there'd be some people around who would be able to forge chips.
organised_chaos
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Please dont start with the orwellian stuff; its the first thing anybody cries when they think theres an infringement on personal space. Are we to sacrifice our safety and in turn our freedom for this idealist and perfectionist concept of complete liberty?
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silent p......?)
There not just for terrorism, and I said that ID cards would have helped the investigations, may even have stopped the follow up attack because the terrorists were British and so would have an ID card.
Erm ok. They have an ID card... their family didn't even know what was going on, how on earth would them having an ID card in any way indicate that they were about to carry out an attack.

Do keep in mind the cards will not have "Possible Terrorist" detection
fabulous_darling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The problem is, bombers aren't usually under any suspicion. The July bombers certainly weren't, so it wouldn't have stopped them.
HearTheThunder
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Please dont start with the orwellian stuff; its the first thing anybody cries when they think theres an infringement on personal space. Are we to sacrifice our safety and in turn our freedom for this idealist and perfectionist concept of complete liberty?
I said I'm not starting on the orwellian stuff.
organised_chaos
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by spangletastic)
The problem is, bombers aren't usually under any suspicion. The July bombers certainly weren't, so it wouldn't have stopped them.
These suspects weren't, perhaps, but with the crackdowns in public security, the numbers of suspects intelligence services will be monitoring will soar.
fabulous_darling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
These suspects weren't, perhaps, but with the crackdowns in public security, the numbers of suspects intelligence services will be monitoring will soar.
I just don't think intelligence will ever become as sophisticated as you seem to think it may become. Some terrorists live perfectly normal lives which attract little suspicion, they seem so normal that, as HearTheThunder said, even their families have no suspicions.

Sure, intelligence could crack huge terrorists groups, but individuals who bear strange grudges or have daft ideas? Nope.
......?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by spangletastic)
I just don't think intelligence will ever become as sophisticated as you seem to think it may become. Some terrorists live perfectly normal lives which attract little suspicion, they seem so normal that, as HearTheThunder said, even their families have no suspicions.

Sure, intelligence could crack huge terrorists groups, but individuals who bear strange grudges or have daft ideas? Nope.
The huge terrorist groups are usually the more affective at "succeeding" and if ID cards can help to stop more deaths as well as give me other benefits then I wouldn't mind paying the single payment for a card for a lifetime.
lillypad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hong Kong has had ID cards for ages now. there not 300 pounds, free first time round and then about 30 quid if you lose it. they brought out these new ones recently called smart cards. then at the airport it takes 2 secs to get throu immigration as they just scan it in. thumb print record aswell. plus you write your ID card no. on loads of things. so it keeps track of people
never been any hassle at all and they are almoost impoossible to fake. wouldnt do the Uk anyharm to take a leaf out of HKs book
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (386)
79.75%
Leave (98)
20.25%

Watched Threads