The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Veedy
Adhsur's great, very helpful too :smile:

Awwww thanks!!! :smile:

Veedy I see you are applying to Oxford - what subject?
Reply 41
Adhsur
Just stay away from durham threads - I was a bit moody and started insulting durham and making people unhappy. :redface:

hehe what uni are you at/ going to?
Reply 42
Adhsur
Awwww thanks!!! :smile:

Veedy I see you are applying to Oxford - what subject?

Geography. I got an offer from Worcester last Saturday- AAA. Good luck with your Cambridge application :wink:
Reply 43
Veedy
Geography. I got an offer from Worcester last Saturday- AAA. Good luck with your Cambridge application :wink:

Wow that's amazing! Well done! :smile:

I'm 99% sure they rejected me, unless they made a mistake which is very unlikely. *sigh*! oh well!
Reply 44
Veedy

Congratulations!!
Reply 45
Thanks Adhsur and Aliel! Don't worry Adhsur, many people think they haven't got in but then get offers. I'm sure thats going to be the case with you too :wink: . Aliel congrats on your offer for history too!
Reply 46
Veedy
Thanks Adhsur and Aliel! Don't worry Adhsur, many people think they haven't got in but then get offers. I'm sure thats going to be the case with you too :wink: . Aliel congrats on your offer for history too!

Hehehe, yes but I KNOW I could have said better things in my interviews. My panic and nervousness reduced all my answers into "ummm, errr...uhhhhhh kinda like errrr" :smile: Thanks for the encouragement though!
Reply 47
Adhsur
Hehehe, yes but I KNOW I could have said better things in my interviews. My panic and nervousness reduced all my answers into "ummm, errr...uhhhhhh kinda like errrr" :smile: Thanks for the encouragement though!

I know what you mean Adhsur, happened to me for the first few minutes. Hopefully if the tutors were human then they will ake account of your nervousness, and assess all the good things you said.
Reply 48
The original poster does make one good point though. There are loads of top quality students but not enough places for them at the best unis. After all, we would like to have our best kids go the best unis for the best teaching and learning environment. Partly the reason why fees have come in so that unis can accommodate more students. Under the Tories those rejected by top unis but still very capable would lose out.
Reply 49
pkonline
The original poster does make one good point though. There are loads of top quality students but not enough places for them at the best unis. After all, we would like to have our best kids go the best unis for the best teaching and learning environment. Partly the reason why fees have come in so that unis can accommodate more students. Under the Tories those rejected by top unis but still very capable would lose out.

Thankyou!!
Reply 50
Veedy
I know what you mean Adhsur, happened to me for the first few minutes. Hopefully if the tutors were human then they will ake account of your nervousness, and assess all the good things you said.

Yes, but trouble is...I was like that the whole way through from what I remember. But my memory is never trustworthy! You are so lucky you got into Ox - how proud must everyone be for you! Cheers to a great future :smile:
Reply 51
Adhsur
Yes, but trouble is...I was like that the whole way through from what I remember. But my memory is never trustworthy! You are so lucky you got into Ox - how proud must everyone be for you! Cheers to a great future :smile:

she hasnt got into oxford.
Reply 52
I ain't really up to speed with the oxbridge situation as I have never applied there but I think they should do the following:

You should have to sit an exam managed by cambridge / oxford that is designed not to test your A-level knowledge, but to use it and stretch it to answer slightly more difficult questions (more of a uni standard exam). It should be designed so that those who can apply their knowledge and add in some common sense and logic can come to the correct answer. People should only be eligable to sit this exam if their grades meet the normal uni requirements (AAA or whatever).

Maybe this would help weed out those who just have good memories from those that are intelligent. Just an idea....
Reply 53
Another difficulty top unis have is that many schools prime their pupils into being ultra-top cadidates. They give them top predicted grades, great references and the pupils are told long before that they should start doing extra-curricular stuff. Very hard for unis to distinguish someone who really is a great candidate from those who have just followed the course.
Reply 54
pkonline
Another difficulty top unis have is that many schools prime their pupils into being ultra-top cadidates.

Yeah, that's true. However, if somebody is that pliable and can be moulded by their teachers, then I guess they can be moulded just as well by oxbridge professors. Still, I believe if you have been primed to get in, its not quite the same achievement as doing it yourself.

The AEA tries to be a test which distinguishes between the top As. It is for the top 10 percent- and 35% of those get a merit, 15% get a distinction. Unfortunatly, not enough people take the qualification, so it doesnt really work as selection criteria. Still, I'd recommend it!
I'm not sure whether to be amused or annoyed that Maskall keeps on using me as an example of an Oxford reject with good grades....
However I think there may be something in what Maskall is saying (although I hate to say it) -- it's probably true that loads of the people whom Oxbridge turn away would have done well if they had got in, getting at least 2.1 degrees.
Reply 57
Adhsur

Thanks Adhsur, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Reply 58
TINNEY
she hasnt got into oxford.

Thats because she hasn't applied to Oxford Maskall
Reply 59
Statistically Oxbridge select the top 2% of the population. As the grades achieved improve, the top 2% last year will not be the same category this year as this percentage is standardised i.e. the quality of the particular student group in a particular year. Therefore Oxbridge have to devise means of selecting this top group which is why they are bringng in more stringent methods of selection. Already most colleges in both unis have an extra exam method which tests the ability of applicants to 'think on their feet' which requires more aptitude than the ability to pass exams with top grades. It is vitally important that undergraduates can keep up with the degree course without the 'spoon-feeding' many get at their 6th forms/colleges. Success will depend on independent learning which is why so many from state comps do better with degree outcomes than those who come from schools which tutor them to pass exams rather than study their subjects in depth and breadth.
Tinney remark on 'you haven't got into Oxford' is a very valid one. Getting an offer is just the first hurdle, you need to achieve the offer to be accepted, so it is by no means cut and dried. Remember, as many as one third do not achieve their offers :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending