The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I like Irish people. I live in Liverpool as well where there is loads of them (And 90% of the people here have some Irish ancestory)

However, what I can't stand is people (Mainly Americans, but also British people) who claim they are Irish and don guiness top hats, green clothing and clovers on St.Patricks day just becuase their great-grandad was Irish. It really does my head in.

What annoys me even more is when these fake Irish people (Plastic Paddy's as they are known) start commenting on how they want freedom for Ireland or making other uninformed and quite frankly retarded claims about The Troubles and other such things.
Reply 101
zippyRN
<INHALES HELIUM>THE REVEREND IAIN PAISLEY DISPUTES YOUR ASSERTION

Ulster says no :eek:
Reply 102
Do Irish people get their accents from speaking their native Irish Gælic language
Reply 103
^^you would think that would be the case, but its not. I will try and find the article for you- but its basically just another regional variation of English
Reply 104
Bless the Irish, I can't understand half of what they say sometimes.
It sounds half like gibberish to me.
Niju
Do Irish people get their accents from speaking their native Irish Gælic language

Bahaha, no. Very few can speak it, except for certain areas. Particularly my age group. Although you are partly correct in that lots of Hiberno-English phrases that are still used in Ireland are direct translations of Irish into English. Such as 'I was only after doing that'.
Reply 106
StarsAreFixed
Bahaha, no. Very few can speak it, except for certain areas. Particularly my age group. Although you are partly correct in that lots of Hiberno-English phrases that are still used in Ireland are direct translations of Irish into English. Such as 'I was only after doing that'.

Oh I see :smile: So then how do people get the accent? Is it just hearing people with that accent when you are very young and then you'll get that kind of accent?
Reply 107
Niju
Oh I see :smile: So then how do people get the accent? Is it just hearing people with that accent when you are very young and then you'll get that kind of accent?

Exactly the same way that anybody, gets any accent.
Reply 108
Laertes
Exactly the same way that anybody, gets any accent.

Oh I see.
Ireland as a nation and the whole Irish thing is overrated wildly IMO.
Reply 110
All irish accents are equal but some accents are more equal than others. (Lots of regional variation)

Since its vaguely relevant what do you think of my accent? Heres a video of various uni going ons, i'm on at about 50 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gycgPTsOkZo

Latest

Trending

Trending