Turn on thread page Beta

Would you pay £9,000 for a university degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    This wouldn't include living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    If you have to pay that much for a degree then you would have to pay it - if you want a degree you don't have much choice.

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking total of 3 years or £9,000 per year? I'd pay it either way... if I were promised a good job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Are we talking total of 3 years or £9,000 per year? I'd pay it either way... if I were promised a good job
    I think it means 3 years at £3000 a year.

Yes, that's what the government is thinking of doing.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, a total of 3 years

Year 1: £3,000 :confused:
    Year 2: £6,000 :eek:
    Year 3: £9,000

For a piece of paper that can be easily faked.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, a total of 3 years

Year 1: £3,000 :confused:
    Year 2: £6,000 :eek:
    Year 3: £9,000
    If that is what the government decides to do, what choice do you have if you want to get a degree? It would still be far cheaper than studying abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Plus people wouldn't have to pay until after they start earning, and those on modest incomes would only pay what they can afford.

Seems reasonable enough .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Plus people wouldn't have to pay until after they start earning, and those on modest incomes would only pay what they can afford.

Seems reasonable enough .
    I agree, univerisities are massively under-funded as it is - they need the money from somewhere and I don't think it would be fair to make the general tax payer pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I agree, univerisities are massively under-funded as it is - they need the money from somewhere and I don't think it would be fair to make the general tax payer pay for it.
    why should the dustman further subsidise the doctor? If its going to come from anywhere it should be from the person receiving the private benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    why should the dustman further subsidise the doctor? If its going to come from anywhere it should be from the person receiving the private benefit.
    I completely agree...that is why I agree that students should have to pay more for their degree. We shouldn't put it on the general taxpayer as they may never wish to get a degree and so shouldnt have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where it was and how good my career prospects would be as a result of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    True. I think the person you were replying to means the same thing. Some people say that if someone does go to uni and gets a top-earning job that they will pay more tax but I think that's too simplified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I completely agree...that is why I agree that students should have to pay more for their degree. We shouldn't put it on the general taxpayer as they may never wish to get a degree and so shouldnt have to pay.
    oh sorry i misread your previous post, too much wine

ReputationRep:
    For me it depends on my finanical circumstances etc. I would probably just go to a university that had lesser tution fees. This is the point I was getting at with my "Blair must be stopped" thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    oh sorry i misread your previous post, too much wine
    *steals the wine* Thanks corey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    *steals the wine* Thanks corey!
    oi!!! :eek: and people say your nice *crys*

ReputationRep:
    when i finish my course i'll be £19000 in debt. if i had to pay these higher fees id be £25000 in debt

ReputationRep:
    The thing I disagree upon is varying fee levels depending on course and uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    The thing I disagree upon is varying fee levels depending on course and uni.
    Yeah, but it would be horrible if they all had the same price tag.

University of Bums on Seats
    Arse-Elbow Differentiation = £1,100

Oxford University
    Law = £1,100

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it would be horrible if they all had the same price tag.
    Why would it be horrible?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.