The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why do some people get their results texted to them? I want that!
I just read that in the Daily Record. I want that too! They get to find out on Monday, as well!!! Stupid northerners!

It does lack tha drama of opening *the* envelope, though, doesn't it!
Reply 22
The texting thing in the islands is a trial, we always seem to be the guinea pig year. If it is successful then they might use it on everyone, part of the new technology thing they're exploring.
Our school told us that the teachers don't know before hand because they used to phone up the pupils and tell them their results, well ours did anyway.

Anyway, good luck guys. Hope everyone passes/gets the grades they need
Reply 23
The text thing is a good idea if you can't be at home on results day due to work/holiday etc. IMHO you should have to pay for the service though.... it's not as if they can replace posting you your certificate with texting it.
Reply 24
I really need to start finding out what to do if I miss my firm offer! Eeeeeeeek! I'm so frightened :bawling:
Reply 25
Not long now for you very northern peeps :eek:
Good luck fluffy bunaroos :smile:
Reply 26
Two days left. :/
Acaila
I really need to start finding out what to do if I miss my firm offer! Eeeeeeeek! I'm so frightened :bawling:

*feels sympathy pain... no, wait, I'm just going through exactly the same thing!*

I suppose there's nothing left to do but wait... although I keep checking UCAStrack to see if it's been updated yet.
Apparently they've suspended updates between the 3rd and 9th of Aug, while they process the scottish results. Hence, at the midnight between the 8th & 9th, I will be refreshing my browser repeatedly in the hope something happens.

I think the main thing to do when you miss your offer is get in touch with your firm choice, and they may lower your offer. If they don't, my plan is offer to do a gap year (which may work since I want to do langs, although it's a long shot), and if that fails I'll call my insurance and check to see they know I'm coming!

The good thing about being scottish is you can phone up your unis and they wont be completely inundated with calls, as they will be when the english results are published. the down side is they may ask you to wait until the 18th (? i think!) to see if there are any spaces available.

Once again, good luck, everyone. We'll set up a thread tomorrow afternoon so we can all post our results, good or bad!

*crosses fingers, closes eyes, touches wood, rips foot off rabbit, and resumes praying fervently*
Reply 28
smeets
The text thing is a good idea if you can't be at home on results day due to work/holiday etc. IMHO you should have to pay for the service though.... it's not as if they can replace posting you your certificate with texting it.

Paying to get your results a day before other people? We could do without that. Equal opportunities I say.
Reply 29
Tomorrow afternoon may be a bit quick. Last year I set it up about midnight-ish

I don't think I would offer a gap year because that would mean topup fees and I really don't want to pay them :frown:. I've heard that Durham may ask you to wait til A-Level results day, and iirc Oxford did the same last year.
That's a major pain cos I'll need to get accommodation at my insurance if they don't take me :frown:
I think the tack I might try is "I got way more UCAS points last year alone than the standard offer for the course!":frown:
What's the point in paying? A text costs like 10p anyway, and the presentation costs per pupil per exam for a school is like 50 quid or something, even if you don't actually turn up for an exam (as our SQA co-ordinator constantly reminds us).

Although I'd happily pay c.50 quid for my results earlier (not a day, though!), I don't like the idea.
Acaila

I don't think I would offer a gap year because that would mean topup fees and I really don't want to pay them :frown:. I've heard that Durham may ask you to wait til A-Level results day, and iirc Oxford did the same last year.
That's a major pain cos I'll need to get accommodation at my insurance if they don't take me :frown:
I think the tack I might try is "I got way more UCAS points last year alone than the standard offer for the course!":frown:

I like that last option, I may try and use that.

Apparently, if you apply for deferred entry or get a gap year later on you pay the c.1200 quid fees, not the 3000 ones. Although this is coming from the guy who STILL hasn't filled in his SAAS form and consequently may have to come up with 6000 pounds plus be 3000 pounds worse off than I had intended, so dont take my word as gospel (I know you all do though!)
Acaila

Apparently, if you apply for deferred entry or get a gap year later on you pay the c.1200 quid fees, not the 3000 ones. Although this is coming from the guy who STILL hasn't filled in his SAAS form and consequently may have to come up with 6000 pounds plus be 3000 pounds worse off than I had intended, so dont take my word as gospel (I know you all do though!)
Reply 33
I don't think I would pay to get my results early, I'd rather wait until results day.
I don't see why the university should make you wait until the english results day, don't they get the results early so should roughly know how many spaces they have filled?
Reply 34
WhatFreshHell?

Eek! The SAAS form was meant to be in ages ago :eek:
I think if you were deferring, you had to sort it out about a month ago or else you pay fees - I remember PQ saying something about this in the uni forum.
What is your offer? AAA at AH?
Do you have any other begging ideas WFH?
Reply 35
Someone said the deadline for the SAAS form doesn't mean much, and that people have sent it off well after (after term starts) and they've still had their fees paid. That might have been in reference to a first year/going into second year uni student though.
Acaila
Eek! The SAAS form was meant to be in ages ago :eek:
I think if you were deferring, you had to sort it out about a month ago or else you pay fees - I remember PQ saying something about this in the uni forum.
What is your offer? AAA at AH?
Do you have any other begging ideas WFH?

I know - nobody even mentioned it to me, from within school or outside it, until I got back from holiday last week, and I went on the website, couldn't understand the form, and by the time I realised you were meant to put down your conditional firm as your future place of study (which was way too much like tempting fate to me!) it was two days ago, so I figured it's not worth it and just wait until tuesday to fill in the form online.
I reckon what Bred says is right, though. If it's not filled out before the end of june, you have to pay it initially but they pay you back anything you weren't meant to pay and your student loan comes in a bit late. Worst case scenario is my parents have to sell the car and then get a new one when my loan comes through, but I doubt it would come to that.

Yeah, my firm offer's AAA at AH, and my insurance's BBC, which I think (hope) I'll meet. Your's is AAB/ABB, iirc, Acaila?

Begging ideas? My dear girl, I've spent the past two months accumulating a dossier of begs!
* Cambridge Uni admission tutors guide says a candidate who'd be offered AAA at A2 should be offered AAB at AH.
* The admissions tutor said that if I got a B in English then "shouldn't be a problem", and that a bigger/wider drop could be talked about.
* My french teacher went off ill in Nov, and never came back, hence all the supply teachers/weeks with no teacher
* English teaching stopped for 3.5 weeks prior to the exam (for no reason and with no warning, I might add!)
* biggest AH English class in the country (apparently)
* I came top of my school the past two years, probably top again (*crosses fingers, touches wood) so if I do really it's a blip.
* A list of points about why AHs are harder to do well in, esp. compared to A-levels at a 6th form college.

Of all that fails, I'll offer to do a gap year, and if they say no to that, I'll give up the ghost and either go to Bristol or reapply next year, depending on how abysmally I've done.
Reply 37
Care to post the AHs are harder list?

My firm is AB at AH and A in Higher Modern Studies (I begged them down from ABB at AH because I was going to fail Computing no matter what happened).

I was the only one in my maths class with a conditional, I think you were the only one in one of your subjects you said? But certainly my maths teacher said "We don't really expect anyone to pass AH maths". Plus I've got loads of golds in the UK Maths Challenge, a couple of silvers in the Scottish, and a Merit in the UKMO or whatever it's called.
Geography, they changed the percentages each element is worth, and I didn't find that out til the exam which I got all panicky about and got very rushed for time. Plus I'm the only person in my school ever to have done a human geography project, so I couldn't rely on the same backlog of sample projects that my classmates copied.
My higher Modern Studies should hopefully be ok {fingers crossed} If I get my A in that and my A in Drama, I can plead that I've got As in my essay subjects, which would be more important than evil calculus to a social sciences degree.
How many were in your English class btw?
WhatFreshHell?
I know - nobody even mentioned it to me, from within school or outside it, until I got back from holiday last week, and I went on the website, couldn't understand the form, and by the time I realised you were meant to put down your conditional firm as your future place of study (which was way too much like tempting fate to me!) it was two days ago, so I figured it's not worth it and just wait until tuesday to fill in the form online.
I reckon what Bred says is right, though. If it's not filled out before the end of june, you have to pay it initially but they pay you back anything you weren't meant to pay and your student loan comes in a bit late. Worst case scenario is my parents have to sell the car and then get a new one when my loan comes through, but I doubt it would come to that.

Yeah, my firm offer's AAA at AH, and my insurance's BBC

I have not done an SAAS form either! Woops! Anyway my firm and insurance offers are the same grades as you.

Good luck, hope it has all gone well for you.
Good luck everyone! xx

Latest

Trending

Trending