The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ArthurOliver
I don't listen to African leaders any more than our own corrupt leaders, but so what? They can feed themselves or trade with whoever's willing. So can we. Irrelevant - I'm arguing against aid and excessive involvement in Africa - the question is why Africans aren't arguing for self reliance.

If they lose out in their dealings with the West, the sensible thing is to withdraw from those dealings, if they gain they should stop whingeing.

You have no clue what you are talkning about. You dont even realise that free trade would stop the self-reliance...I very much doubt you have done any research on Africa as a continent or africans as people...
Reply 81
Alexdel
Indeed I am....although it would be true for any other present 'empires' by your definition be it a republic or a monarchy..

the king or queen doesnt control the UK either...nevermind any of the other lands.

they are quite important though.

wonder why the falklands inspired a war? proximity to the antarctic. loads of "resources" there...or so the hope is :wink:
Reply 82
Alexdel
So first you say you are trying to imitate me then you say you would not copy me in a million years.....crickey the average BNP brain is pretty complex...

]So first you say you are trying to imitate me

Yes
then you say you would not copy me in a million years

No
.....crickey the average BNP brain is pretty complex

Its pretty normal, its just that yours seems so simple since you could not even follow what I was saying.
Reply 83
technik
the king or queen doesnt control the UK either...nevermind any of the other lands.

they are quite important though.

wonder why the falklands inspired a war? proximity to the antarctic. loads of "resources" there...or so the hope is :wink:

Well thats what Argentina probably thought, the reson we went to war is because our land had been invaded.
Reply 84
LC01
Yes

No

Its pretty normal, its just that yours seems so simple since you could not even follow what I was saying.

Oh I'm following what you are saying the truth of the matter is that it make as much sense as the BNP policies...
Reply 85
maze.e
yeah we could look after ourselves, until the white settlers came and took our GOLD :mad:

And how much money have we went back in the form of aid? probably a hell of a lot more than we took.
Reply 86
LC01
Well thats what Argentina probably thought, the reson we went to war is because our land had been invaded.

but why is the falklands so precious compared to other places?

its little more than a rock with a few sheep and some houses on it...
Reply 87
Alexdel
Oh I'm following what you are saying the truth of the matter is that it make as much sense as the BNP policies...

Go back and read my posts carefully, since you hav obviously misread them.
Reply 88
technik
but why is the falklands so precious compared to other places?

its little more than a rock with a few sheep and some houses on it...

Its not anymore precious, but if they invaded Burmuda we would have done the same as its our land.
Reply 89
Arthuroliver: As opposed to the Brits who just ripped off bits and pieces of other people's languages. Almost ended up speaking French at some point, too.

Africa will start being grateful when the West gets up off its you-know-what and starts giving a toss that there are people dying. When my baby cousin can't even get one dose of malaria medicine, then there's something wrong. Saving lives isn't about being grateful, or being in debt. You can't say, "right, I saved your life, you owe me now."

You go to Africa, live there for just one week - see if you last one week in an inner-city house (one room, communal toilets down the hall) on a local wage (my uncle earns $2.75 per week... he has two children, a wife and must pay rent). I guarentee, the last thing that you would feel is grateful.
Reply 90
LC01
Go back and read my posts carefully, since you hav obviously misread them.

Come on now just admit you contradicted yourself and you can continue spouting your propaganda once again...
Reply 91
Mata
As opposed to the Brits who just ripped off bits and pieces of other people's languages. Almost ended up speaking French at some point, too.

Africa will start being grateful when the West gets up off its you-know-what and starts giving a toss that there are people dying. When my baby cousin can't even get one dose of malaria medicine, then there's something wrong. Saving lives isn't about being grateful, or being in debt. You can't say, "right, I saved your life, you owe me now."

You go to Africa, live there for just one week - see if you last one week in an inner-city house (one room, communal toilets down the hall) on a local wage (my uncle earns $2.75 per week... he has two children, a wife and must pay rent). I guarentee, the last thing that you would feel is grateful.

Every country starts of poor.
Alexdel
I very much doubt you have done any research on Africa as a continent or africans as people...
There isn't much to research...

I know about 'fair trade', I simply give Africans respect enought to decide their own policies according to their own needs, you think they need the guidance of 'daddy white man'--you're the racist--let them manage their own countries.
Reply 93
Alexdel
Come on now just admit you contradicted yourself and you can continue spouting your propaganda once again...

I never said that I wasnt copying you at any point. You said that I said "I would not copy you in a million years" but that post does not exsit, and never has done, you made it up. So no I have not contradicted myself, you are just lying.
Reply 94
ArthurOliver
There isn't much to research...

I know about 'fair trade', I simply give Africans respect enought to decide their own policies according to their own needs, you think they need the guidance of 'daddy white man'--you're the racist--let them manage their own countries.

Amusing you are basically agreeing with me, stop aid and let them trade freely with other countries...last time I checked they are deciding their own policies, the problem is these 'aid' come with strings places by western leaders to get the most out of 'helping' africa...
Reply 95
LC01
I never said that I wasnt copying you at any point. You said that I said "I would not copy you in a million years" but that post does not exsit, and never has done, you made it up. So no I have not contradicted myself, you are just lying.

LC01
No, you see if I were being funny I would not be copying you..........

Now who's the one lying..
Reply 96
LC01
Its not anymore precious, but if they invaded Burmuda we would have done the same as its our land.

"our" isnt really correct as such.

the only land thats ours so to speak is england, scotland, wales and northern ireland
Reply 97
LC01
Every country starts of poor.

If you insist. Even if this is the case, are you saying that this validates the fact that there are people dying?

Its not even about the country itself being poor. Medicine has to be imported, and the cost of this medicine is rising all the time. AIDS and HIV drugs cost more than people's wages. In rural areas, there is one doctor per 33,000 people. Since 1990, life expectancy is falling steadily. 3.5 million Kenyan children under the age of 5 die of malaria every year. All this is in one African country; one of the richest African countries.

I know that its easy to knock about political policy about this, say, "Why don't they want self-reliance?" Probably, the reason nobody is asking for self-reliance is because they're asking for medicine and food. To you, these are just statistics and nameless figures, but you have to understand what the numbers actually *mean*. 3.5 million deaths per year mean that I was lucky, twice, not to die. The numbers mean that if my grandmother gets sick, she will be competing for a doctor with 33,000 other people. They mean that my father had no chance of surviving AIDS without a visa to this country.

I know I sound over-emotional, but its an emotional subject. Death can't be validated; this is not a political matter; this is not a question of white supremacy. This is death and life, simple.
Reply 98
Alexdel
You were agreeing that it would be in their best interest to be re-colonised...and that proves how unchristian you are

Perhaps you should research some of the motivations and language surrounding British (and to some extent, French) colonialism. It was very often driven by a Christian morality that was very moral and charitable for the day. By saying this, I'm not trying to claim colonialism was a Good Thing, or that Christianity is a Bad Thing, merely pointing out apparent deficiencies in your knowledge.

I never heard Howard advocate a re-colonisation of Africa, I think his general message was more like: "You don't know anything about Africa, I do. Leave the useless buggars to sort themselves out!". However, it is perfectly possible that he might oppose re-colonisation, while believing it would be in Africa's best interest. If Africa was better under European rule than it is now, Africa might be better under European rule in the future. However, this would cost Europeans a lot of lives, a lot of money, and probably not ever allow the Africans to achieve what they might if left to sort themselves out.
Reply 99
Alexdel
Now who's the one lying..

No, I was admitting to not being funny, and also noting that you are not funny, so if I were funny I would not be copying you. As I said before, you misread my post.

Latest

Trending

Trending