The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

newcastle uni accommodation help?

Right, so ive applied to do english language and will be starting in september. Of course i would love to get my first choice of accommodation but what are the chances of this?

1) i was wondering if anyone could give me a brief and realistic overview of each place (:

2) is putting places down like windsor terrace and the new castle court a waste of a choice (because gap year students will get them)

3) is sharing a bathroom really that much of problem, just for convenience id like en-suite, but to be honest i might sway to choosing location over facilities (will this mean ill probably get into ricky road?)

id like to be closer than further away.

4) where do most people end up, and do they even get their first choice?

5) im planning on applying ASAP to avoid dissapointment. will this help my chances at getting my preffered choice (i havent chosen it yet)

sorry for the bombard of qus, i just have a lot to ask ha :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i cant provide much info on your questions, just wanted to say ive also applied for english language and i have an unconditional (im on a gap year) so i may see you in september :biggrin:
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
I can't give you info on all of them but the ones I know about are:

Henderson Hall - I lived there, it's pretty good, I had a big room with an en-suite, also put a hole in my pocket (catered). You will have to get bus into town though, so if your choosing location don't go there.

St Marys - Not great, some of my friends lived over there, it's in Fenham as well so you want to avoid. Again you'll have to get the bus in.

Castle Leazes and Ricky Road - If Newcastle is your first choice then you'll prob end up in one of these two. Ricky Road is practically in uni, Castle Leazes about 5 mins further out. Okay rooms, I don't think any of them have en-suite rooms (i'm not to sure though).

Bowsden Court - Nice rooms, en-suite and affordable due to them being self-catererd. They are in Gosforth so you will have to get the metro in.

Also depends on whether you want catered accommodation.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
kingkev
I can't give you info on all of them but the ones I know about are:

Henderson Hall - I lived there, it's pretty good, I had a big room with an en-suite, also put a hole in my pocket (catered). You will have to get bus into town though, so if your choosing location don't go there.

St Marys - Not great, some of my friends lived over there, it's in Fenham as well so you want to avoid. Again you'll have to get the bus in.

Castle Leazes and Ricky Road - If Newcastle is your first choice then you'll prob end up in one of these two. Ricky Road is practically in uni, Castle Leazes about 5 mins further out. Okay rooms, I don't think any of them have en-suite rooms (i'm not to sure though).

Bowsden Court - Nice rooms, en-suite and affordable due to them being self-catererd. They are in Gosforth so you will have to get the metro in.

Also depends on whether you want catered accommodation.

Hope this helps.

thanks, thats a big help, i just want to be close but ricky road doesnt look too nice if im honest.. fancy the look of marris house but i guess gap year students will probably nab it

the self-catered accommodation at castle leazes didnt look that friendly as lots of people are on one floor. but i could be wrong

i just dont know where to pick ha.
Reply 4
Ricky road is the best and liveliest accomodation if you want to have fun. It's got the best location aswell imo.
Reply 5
hannahcrow8
thanks, thats a big help, i just want to be close but ricky road doesnt look too nice if im honest.. fancy the look of marris house but i guess gap year students will probably nab it

the self-catered accommodation at castle leazes didnt look that friendly as lots of people are on one floor. but i could be wrong

i just dont know where to pick ha.

What's this about gap year students? Do they get priority for certain accom? Why?

I have an offer for OT - the course is at Coach Lane but I'm not sure if I want to live there. Anyone with any info re Coach Lane accom.?
Reply 6

Whats wrong with Fenham?

Also, for people who have applied for accomodation already, were your offers conditional or unconditional? I got a conditional offer, and if people who are in the same boat are applying, I should probably get off my arse and do so as well....
Reply 7
150 Azog
Whats wrong with Fenham?

Also, for people who have applied for accomodation already, were your offers conditional or unconditional? I got a conditional offer, and if people who are in the same boat are applying, I should probably get off my arse and do so as well....

Everything.
Reply 8
mau5
Everything.

For sure, you want to be in Jesmond come your second year.

Also mau, i'm loving Evangeline Lilly.
Reply 9
Do we have to choose university accommandation for the first year? Can we get a private one?
Reply 10
Right, so ive applied to do english language and will be starting in september.

i cant provide much info on your questions, just wanted to say ive also applied for english language and i have an unconditional (im on a gap year) so i may see you in september

Me too! :biggrin: :biggrin: I swear no-one else in my year is doing this course, it's lonely. :p: What A levels you doing?

I went on the accommodation (spelling fail) tour and really didn't like the look of ricky road. It looked small and dark and ... yeah. Not grotty because it was perfectly clean and tidy but ... that sort of impression, you know? Castle Leazes was the only other one I saw - it reminded me of a hospital crossed with a hotel. XDD I quite liked it there, but it's unbelievably massive. Need to go and e-tour round the others.

Good luck!
Reply 11
Mhazie
it reminded me of a hospital crossed with a hotel.

Castle Leazes was once a prison.
St Mary's College

St Mary's is really pretty. The building looks like a mansion and is surrounded by leafy trees and grass. I think it was an old nunnery. A lot of the flats have been referbished a year or two years ago and more will be done this summer (go look at the virtual tour) If you do get a refurbished flat then it's just as lovely to live in than Victoria Hall except you don't get an en-suit bathroom. There are two toilets and showers in each flat and you share a flat with just 4 or 5 other people. It's also one of the cheapest places to live because it's in Fenham which is further out. Buses run every 7 mins to the city centre but they stop at 11pm so you have to get a taxi back at night but this is cheap if you share it with a couple of people. The bus ride is only 10 mins as well so it's quite good. Also there are buses to the uni which drop you outside ricky road or next to central campus which run every half an hour. That means you dont have to do much walking which is good. Also because it's a bit further out there is a good community spirit and plenty of house parties. There is a large common room with snooker, table tennis, table football and flat screen tvs etc. Fenham is a bit of a boring place, it's safe and quiet and isn't ugly but it's not near Jesmond and the city centre at night thing is a bit annoying. A massive Morrisons is just down the road though so at least you get a big supermarket near you unlike most of the other halls.

Victoria Hall and Bowsden Court

These are the quieter places which seems like a bad thing initally to some people, but tbh you'll probably be glad about a bit of peace and quiet after a while. They are expensive but the rooms are en suit and they are modern, large and nice to live in. An advantage to Victoria hall is it's close to the city centre but a 15/20 min walk away from uni. Most people like it here but I've heard a lot of problems with people having to pay fines for silly things. Also you have to pay a lot if not all of the rent upfront.
Bowsden Court has it's advantages because although you have to use the metro you're close to the leafy and popular area, Jesmond which is a great night out and a lovely place, there are 2 supermarkets near and you can always get the metro into the centre as well. It is all modern and referbished, just 10 mins to uni/ city centre on the metro.

Ricky Road and Castle Leazes

- the big friendly community places. They have great parties (ricky mostly). They are both ugly as hell inside and out but most people love it to bits there. They're also really close to uni and the sports centre is right next to Ricky. Leazes is catered and has a reputation as a rah zone although I don't really know how true this is tbf. Ricky is very down to earth and is self catered. These are the biggest halls and when you ask people where they live most say Ricky or Leazes.

Marris House and Windsor Terrace

These places are popular because they're close to uni (Marris is next to Ricky and Windsor is next to the library) and they are a nicer place to live asthetically than Ricky and leazes. They are hard to get into though and mostly get filled up with students who took a gap year and therefore get first choice of accommodation. I've heard there are lots of international students in marris as well but dont know if that is true. Both these places have small rooms compared with victoria hall, bowsden and st mary's but they have bigger rooms than ricky and leazes.

Henderson Hall

Is somewhat of a mystery to a lot of people at Newcastke University, it is rarely talked about. It is fairly far out, a bus ride away, in High Heaton. I know only 4 people who lived here: 1 hated it and moved out, 2 don't really like it but have met some nice people and thinks it's fine but would prefer to live somewhere else and 1 who is happy there. There are catered and self catered options as well as en suit or wash basin rooms. The rooms are average size but they're apparently old and dated, I haven;t heard about any refurbishment work taking place here. Henderson Hall has it's own bar.
irishyas
What's this about gap year students? Do they get priority for certain accom? Why?

I have an offer for OT - the course is at Coach Lane but I'm not sure if I want to live there. Anyone with any info re Coach Lane accom.?

Gap year students already have an unconditional offer and have applied for acommodation before you have even started your A2 levels so they usually get their first choice of acommodation. They also get told which halls they are in before you do, last year I remember gap year students were posting about which halls they were in before our results day.
St Marys or Henderson Hall (catered single with en-suite)???

I can't decide between the two, what are they like?

If i opt for catered single with en-suit at Henderson Hall, are all these rooms in the old hall?
Reply 15
When I visited St.Mary's, the rooms I saw were newly refurbished and very nice. It was 2 showers and 2 toilets to 4 people (Both nice and new), washbasins in the all the rooms, nice area with a lot of green and close by parks, a communal area with HD TV, pool tables and a snack bar, and finally its only a 10 minute bus ride away from the Uni.

I never visited Henderson Hall though so I don't know what its like comparatively but it was very nice.
150 Azog
When I visited St.Mary's, the rooms I saw were newly refurbished and very nice. It was 2 showers and 2 toilets to 4 people (Both nice and new), washbasins in the all the rooms, nice area with a lot of green and close by parks, a communal area with HD TV, pool tables and a snack bar, and finally its only a 10 minute bus ride away from the Uni.

I never visited Henderson Hall though so I don't know what its like comparatively but it was very nice.

Never got a chance to see St Mary's but applied for it anyway, hopefully it's alright! *fingers crossed*
Reply 17
I've got an offer for Hendo Hall, Old Hall Room 47 (catered and ensuite). Someone told me that there's 18 of you on a floor and its single sex!! Does anyone know if this is true?!

..And also, what are the kitchens like for the catered students? I'm guessing they're pretty small, but i've visited some of my friends in other unis which are catered and they don't even have a cooker in their kitchen for weekends!!
Reply 18
Just wondering if anyone would recommend st marys? It looks lovely but I wouldnt want to be too far out of all the 'action'...
Reply 19
Original post by maria93
Just wondering if anyone would recommend st marys? It looks lovely but I wouldnt want to be too far out of all the 'action'...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1492046

If you look further back in this thread there's posts from a girl who lives at St Marys at the moment, she's really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending