Going back to college to do completely different A levels...yet I'm on a gap year

Watch
Wolfos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Long story - basically I'm on a gap year after finishing college with grades AAB. The problem? My subjects were all rubbish. Film Studies, Media Studies and English Lang/Lit. Unfortunately due to being a naive idiot, I've only recently realised several months ago that these subjects are totally useless. I applied for various journalism courses and have been rejected by Bournemouth and Sheffield which were my main choices, the former after attending an activity day, the latter without a single acknowledgement. I do have an unconditional from Cardiff but I don't like the look of the course anymore, and I still have an interview for Nottingham Trent but I'm starting to think that I should just completely rethink my career direction.

I've always enjoyed essay-based subjects, mainly English since I did pretty well at GCSE. So the reason I want to go back to college is to take a set of A levels that are actually worth a damn. Currently I'm aiming at doing A levels that will lead to something like a degree in English, History or politics. So if I were to start college again, I could perhaps choose a set of subjects like this:

English Literature
History
Politics

The third subject is where it gets slightly tricky. I'm not 100% sure on this choice, but a career towards politics would be interesting. Perhaps someone could suggest a 4th? Some say a language A level is good. I did German at GCSE and got a B, but I've probably forgotten most of it and won't be able to do it at A level, so here's where I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be great, even if you think restarting college all over again is an utterly ridiculous ideas but right now I'm keeping my options open and I'm really not satisfied with my career options right now. I'm perfectly willing to stick out two extra years to get a much better academic education even if they'll be pretty painful. Thanks.
PrincessSiobhan17
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i know exactly how u feel, although not quite as bad...
im taking sociology, law and history but i also orginally chose psychology. On reflection, it was a stupid mistake lol
i suggest history as a definate, especailly if like me youre good at english
law is also good, as it is another subject with a lot of written content. im taking politics next year, so in my opinion thats a good one to have aswell. Just dont take general studies because so many universities wont accept it.
good luck
bruce_t89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could take either Law or Sociology, either would complement Politics. I did Sociology and one of the units in A2 (AQA) was called 'World Sociology' and a lot of the content linked with political/governmental issues.
SuperPatchKid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do politics economics and history to A2 and economics can help it understanding the nature of world politics while being a respected course. It can be a bit dry depending on who teaches it but may be worth thinking about?
emmakh123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Geography? Math?
letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
History and Eng Lit and love them both. Politics will go awesomly with History too so you have a great combination already (I wish my school offered Politics).

How about a science subject, I do Maths and it's a nice contrast to my two essay subjects, so if you could then it would give yoy a nice difference. Economics would go nicely with your subjects too.

If you want another essay based subject what about Philosophy and ethics?
Victoriak91
Report 10 years ago
Ahhhh, pretty much same situation....have an ABB, A=Photography, B=English, C= Textiles...currently doing a pre-degree in art/design.... want to do English Degree so thinking about going back to college and doing Alevels in :
English Lit
Philosophy
Sociology... (obvs wanting all A's lol)

in good chance of getting into better uni etc...ahhhh
barcelona99
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi i am very confused what to do too.. can someone give me some advice

i did really bad in my a levels (bcc) and got into man met uni for psychology i have completed my first year and don't enjoy it and did averagely

i am thinking of going back to college to do my a levels again. do you have any advice on what i should do?
StarBucksLover23
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can I just ask which is the better one going college or doing A levels?
StarBucksLover23
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to do catering course in loughborough college but my mum said I should take A levels what should I do?
#HELPpls
LouColl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on what career path you want to take at the end of it. If you come to an Open Day at Loughborough College, there are people from all our subjects there who can help make your decision easier and explain the options to your parents too.
lulu199
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am confused as you, and may be more, because i am an international student and i am not familiar with A level system .. also this will be to get 2nd undergraduate degree in Philosophy and Theology ..

i considered English or English Lit and History also .. both are respected subjects .. but i think to in order to broaden your options, choose Maths instead of Politics, also it more respected subject .. and you may keep Politics as a 4rth a level ..

Which exam board would you choose for History and English Lit?
SERIOUSTING_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just realized this was written a long time ago? How's everyone doing?

I was average at English GCSE, but I'm now studying a TEFL to teach it - I'm finding learning from home much better than a classroom setting.

FYI - My A2 were Art, Graphic Design, and Media, very social, creative, and fun subjects - but tough industries.
I'm looking at business studies with Big data to start moving into an area that allows me to be more numerical
Last edited by SERIOUSTING_; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (1)
33.33%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (1)
33.33%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (1)
33.33%

Watched Threads