The Student Room Group

I can't decide what to do but can't go on like this at my age

Im 25, female live with parents still and can't decide between 2 career pathways. Id say my main passion in life is exercising, running, rugby and keeping fit although Im not really good at it just enjoy it and want an athletic lifestyle jogging everyday etc to keep healthy. I worked in hospitals on wards which I enjoyed a lot of the time (this is the only work Ive done I had issues with panic attacks not that Im making excuses) so I applied to do nurse training and have been accepted.

I keep wondering if I really want to be a nurse though I do like the work and am aware that it takes heaps of work and motivation as a student but part of me wants an active life where Im not tied down by anything. Ive been looking at an exercise, physical activity and health degree and you can get NVQ qualifications (like fitness instructing) while studying it. It would cost £3000 a year and my prospects would be nowhere near as stable as a nursing career people are telling me that nursing is the wise decision and that Id be an idiot not to do it but I just can't make my mind up. Onr hour I will be looking forward to studying nursing the next hour I'l feel fed up, not want to do it.

Being 25 and still living with parents is making me feel the pressure of needing to move out I don't have very good social skills and have never even had a bf. I can't take any more years out deciding Ive been deciding since I was 18 and have dropped out of several colleges and changed courses a few times . I can't get a mortgage yet because my job contract is not permanent.

I was just looking for some advice people younger than me have had kids and their own familes and Im still hanging around with my parents. Im annoying everyone people have been giving me advice for years and I just never stick at anything because I change my mind so much but I really need to get sorted I shouldn't be living with parents forever I don't even act my age I just wondered if anyone has any advice:o:
Reply 1
You can be a nurse and live the active lifestyle you want. Alternatively, have you considered a career as a nurse in something like the RAF? You get the active lifestyle and many great opportunities for sports and things.
Reply 2
you can, surprisingly, do both tbh and the exercise alongside being a nurse would be really good methinks
the exercising thing you wanna do will just have to be parttime like?

Sorry, I had to do it.
OP, I'm exactly like you and have changed my mind and courses far too many times so don't let yourself feel alone because of it. :-)
Reply 5
I don't have friends lol but I know what you mean.
(edited 3 years ago)
well nothings permanent remember that you can always go back and do something else at any age and a nursing qualification with give you an advantage for employment in almost any area its an highly skilled job.
Reply 7
You could join a local running club too? That way you can get out and meet a few nice new people. You don't have to be able to win a marathon to join one, though it sounds like you keep yourself in pretty good shape anyway :-)
Anonymous
I don't have friends lol but I know what you mean.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww :frown:.

*virtual hugs aplenty*
Anonymous
Im 25, female live with parents still and can't decide between 2 career pathways. Id say my main passion in life is exercising, running, rugby and keeping fit although Im not really good at it just enjoy it and want an athletic lifestyle jogging everyday etc to keep healthy. I worked in hospitals on wards which I enjoyed a lot of the time (this is the only work Ive done I had issues with panic attacks not that Im making excuses) so I applied to do nurse training and have been accepted.

I keep wondering if I really want to be a nurse though I do like the work and am aware that it takes heaps of work and motivation as a student but part of me wants an active life where Im not tied down by anything. Ive been looking at an exercise, physical activity and health degree and you can get NVQ qualifications (like fitness instructing) while studying it. It would cost £3000 a year and my prospects would be nowhere near as stable as a nursing career people are telling me that nursing is the wise decision and that Id be an idiot not to do it but I just can't make my mind up. Onr hour I will be looking forward to studying nursing the next hour I'l feel fed up, not want to do it.

Being 25 and still living with parents is making me feel the pressure of needing to move out I don't have very good social skills and have never even had a bf. I can't take any more years out deciding Ive been deciding since I was 18 and have dropped out of several colleges and changed courses a few times . I can't get a mortgage yet because my job contract is not permanent.

I was just looking for some advice people younger than me have had kids and their own familes and Im still hanging around with my parents. Im annoying everyone people have been giving me advice for years and I just never stick at anything because I change my mind so much but I really need to get sorted I shouldn't be living with parents forever I don't even act my age I just wondered if anyone has any advice:o:

Ive been living at home with my family for a few months since finishing uni and doing a bit of travelling and Ive been through the same kind of thing.

Ive been finding it hard to decide what to do because, like you, I cant figure out what my priorities are.

Heres the answer: Theres no way to know for sure what the best choice is. Its always going to be a bit of a gamble. So you just have to try one out and see if it fits. You can always change your mind later on.

Id go for the nursing course and if you dont like it transfer to exercise, physical activity and health
Why not consider physiotherapy too?

You can still be active and healthy as well as doing whatever career you wish :smile:
Reply 11
LukeatForest
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww :frown:.

*virtual hugs aplenty*

virtual hugs are insane!