Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hear tons of pple saying that Rowling copied some of Tolkien's ideas. I don't know if this is true or not. What do you guys think? I want to see what the dementors look like! It will be hard for the movie makers to do that without making it look like they're basically ringwraiths. (That's how I always imagined them anyway...)

ReputationRep:
    Wormtongue could kick Wormtail's arse any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecjs)
    I hear tons of pple saying that Rowling copied some of Tolkien's ideas. I don't know if this is true or not. What do you guys think? I want to see what the dementors look like! It will be hard for the movie makers to do that without making it look like they're basically ringwraiths. (That's how I always imagined them anyway...)

There is no similarity between LOTR and harry potter. One is a classic and the other is complete shite.

ReputationRep:
    actually she didnt copy any of his ideas.....both used myths and fairy tales for their information and plots ect. that is why in some places they appear quite similar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Wormtongue could kick Wormtail's arse any day.
    Hehehe. True.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    There is no similarity between LOTR and harry potter. One is a classic and the other is complete shite.
    Which one is which I wonder? :rolleyes: *cough*lordoftheringsrocks*cough *

ReputationRep:
    jk has never copied JRR. i no that there are some simeralities but it is all her own work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    actually she didnt copy any of his ideas.....both used myths and fairy tales for their information and plots ect. that is why in some places they appear quite similar!
    there is some quote that all books are copied, but she didn't use fairy tales & myths for her infomration, she used other books which had used fairy tales, eg. Tolkein.

ReputationRep:
    Which one is which I wonder? :rolleyes: *cough*lordoftheringsrocks*cough *
    i think that harry potter will of its own right, become a classic. its already been put on mandatiry reading listsin the states. i disliked lotrs books intently, they are writtten like a history textbook, theres almost no feeling involved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    there is some quote that all books are copied, but she didn't use fairy tales & myths for her infomration, she used other books which had used fairy tales, eg. Tolkein.
    Have you read that somewhere or are you making groundless assumptions?

ReputationRep:
    Gollum would beat Dobbie.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think that the Dementors were based on the Nazgul

ReputationRep:
    She proabably did copy some bits, but Tolkein probably copied other authors's work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    She proabably did copy some bits, but Tolkein probably copied other authors's work.
    no no no no no! Tolkein was the first that's the whole point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Complete shyte? C'mon... Lord of the Rings isn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    no no no no no! Tolkein was the first that's the whole point
    Then I challenge the whole point!

Tolkien took inspiration from other authors and sources, as did Ms Rowling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Then I challenge the whole point!

Tolkien took inspiration from other authors and sources, as did Ms Rowling.
    That is true people. Tolkien stated that the inspiration to write a book came from reading the works of some of the greats of literature, and wanted to add a small part to the ongoing libraries across the world. In fact Tolkien ended up adding something rather large instead, but the inspiration was indeed there. If you read "The Old Man and the Sea" you'll see several overtones that can find in LOTR. TSK TSK all. How could you be so naive as to believe in complete original thought these days? Today it all seems to be someone putting in their view on an original thought, or using such thought and taking it to a new context etc. Full credit to both Rowling and Tolkien. Marvellous stuff in both instances. Stop the argument please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    That is true people. Tolkien stated that the inspiration to write a book came from reading the works of some of the greats of literature, and wanted to add a small part to the ongoing libraries across the world. In fact Tolkien ended up adding something rather large instead, but the inspiration was indeed there. If you read "The Old Man and the Sea" you'll see several overtones that can find in LOTR. TSK TSK all. How could you be so naive as to believe in complete original thought these days? Today it all seems to be someone putting in their view on an original thought, or using such thought and taking it to a new context etc. Full credit to both Rowling and Tolkien. Marvellous stuff in both instances. Stop the argument please.
    Exactly. There is no shame in taking inspiration from other authors, most people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Tolkien was just being modest

ReputationRep:
    All authors take bits and pieces from everywhere!! Philip pullman is a good example and he admits it in loads of interviews, thought nobody thinks less of him because of this. The thing is , it's not a bad thing to do and it's not like she's COPYING tolkein, it's not plaigarism it's just an influence, and there are plenty of other influences you can spot in Rowling too - like the mandrake plants, and.. well loads of stuff .. are clear in the Duchess of Malfi (and no doubt other jacobean drama) that is now in harry potter.

Everyone steals from everyone else. Particularly from the bible and shakespeare.. Anyway, harry potter and lord of the rings are clearly entirely different and both have their merits.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.