The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rasta
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4746591.stm

A 19-year-old Israeli soldier today shot at passengers on a bus near Jaffa. He killed 4 civilians and injured several. Following the incident, other passengers killed the gunman.

Unbelievable. Sick ****.

Terrible. I doubt it will hinder withdrawal plans.
Reply 21
People who maintain that we should not judge all [fill in whichever religious or ethnic group applies] by the activities of a few deranged individuals should apply that principle generally. There are plenty of valid reasons to criticise Israel's policies without taking a madman as an exemplar.
Bismarck
For clarification, the "soldier" was a deserter. One less idiot in the world.

Also, he didn't kill Palestinians. He killed Israeli Arabs.

most israeli arabs identify their nationality as palestinian, and their citizenship as israeli.
Vienna
Why half British?

Because he's not one of these people who sees superficial divides in british society..?
Jamie
Because he's not one of these people who sees superficial divides in british society..?

I think Vienna means why not completely British? Which I agree with.
Rasta
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4746591.stm

A 19-year-old Israeli soldier today shot at passengers on a bus near Jaffa. He killed 4 civilians and injured several. Following the incident, other passengers killed the gunman.

Unbelievable. Sick ****.

Completely digusting, I'm glad he got lynched...
Reply 26
thebucketwoman
Completely digusting, I'm glad he got lynched...

:eek: you cant be serious?
TKR
:eek: you cant be serious?

lol I'm not suggesting that 'lynching' should be made part of the UK justice system...

but you can't really feel any sympathy for this man can you?
Reply 28
thebucketwoman
lol I'm not suggesting that 'lynching' should be made part of the UK justice system...

but you can't really feel any sympathy for this man can you?

No but neither do I feel an affinity with the lynchers nor do I condone their actions - in my eyes their murder of the deserter was no different to his murde of the bus driver.
TKR
No but neither do I feel an affinity with the lynchers nor do I condone their actions - in my eyes their murder of the deserter was no different to his murde of the bus driver.

you don't see any difference at all in the murder of a man by a gun toting nut (who killed many other people for no reason and was trying to relaod his gun when tackled)
and the murder of a mass murderer by a crowd - some of them injured themselves, and some of them whose relatives have just been killed angry and demanding justice, and blood.

doesn't excuse the actions nop, but its the most basic human ability to be able to put oneself in anothers shoes.

can you honestly not do that?
TKR

Of course, no human should ever murder another human. I completely disagree with capital punishment.

But at least I can understand why the lynchers would want to kill that man in the heat of the moment, they did just see him shooting innocent people dead.

However, I can't understand at all why he wanted to murder innocent people in the first place.
Exactly. No one can identify with a man who kills an innocent child, but everyone should be able to identify with the parents wanting that man to suffer - whether that means cold blooded murder themselves.

Anyone seen that film 3 grams? (or something like that)
Reply 32
Hmm interesting, I would say that yes I canunderstand why he wanted to kill those people. His (rather extreme) political beleifs had been offended and he was extremely angry. Add this to a probable hatred of Arab Israelis and a beleif that his life was effectively over (a deserter from the Israeli army) and it's really quite simple. I understand his motives but I don't sympathise with them - he was wrong.

Similarly I understand the motives of the mob but I don't sympathise with them. Anyways that's just me being pedantic.

Snake - I beleive that all murder is wrong and that mob lynching could possibly be even more dangerous when you take into account the base way in which many people will react to stories like these and the lack of consensus over the morality of mob justice. It simply sets a precedent for capital punishment. However, this case is a bit of a grey area when the self defense aspect is considered - in which case my original statement may have been a little strong and too black and white. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: The fact remains that what the members of that crowd did was wrong - they had a choice to restrain or kill that man and they chose the latter - the morally worse choice IMO
good lord. we commenting on how you dont see to be able to empathise with the crowd and you spend all this time saying how you understnad why he would want to shoot down innocent civilians!!!!!!!!

The thing you really have to understand in israel as wellis the feeling amongst the arabs that they are 2nd class citizens. having seen so many soldiers get off with joke sentences it is unsurprising that they killed him.

its hardly a unique situation. there are relatively few place sin the world where people wouldn't react like this.
Reply 34
Snake
good lord. we commenting on how you dont see to be able to empathise with the crowd and you spend all this time saying how you understnad why he would want to shoot down innocent civilians!!!!!!!!

But I do empathise with the civilians (that is, as I said, I understand what they felt). I don't sympathise with them. If somebody doesn't understand the explanation I gave as to why he would want to kill those people then they are probably a simpleton, but you don't have to agree with a line of reasoning to understand it.

Snake
The thing you really have to understand in israel as wellis the feeling amongst the arabs that they are 2nd class citizens. having seen so many soldiers get off with joke sentences it is unsurprising that they killed him.

I am aware of a high level of hostility bewteen the groups thankyou, perhaps I underestimated it. How oppressed must a group feel before it is okay for them to murder somebody in your opinion?

Unsurprising, perhaps, wrong, definitely.

Snake
its hardly a unique situation. there are relatively few place sin the world where people wouldn't react like this.

Yes that's one of the worst things about humanity.
Reply 35
Hai... stressful times...
Reply 36
Palestinian justice: kill innocent civilians completely unrelated to the criminals.

Earlier on Sunday, two Israelis were injured in the West Bank when their car came under fire from gunmen north of Ramallah.

One of them, a 10-year-old boy, was reported to be in a critical but stable condition.

A Palestinian militant group, the al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade, said it had carried out the attack in retaliation for the killing last Thursday of four Israeli Arabs by an Israeli soldier.

Source

I have great confidence in the ability of the Palestinians to successfully govern themselves. :rolleyes:
Bismarck
Palestinian justice: kill innocent civilians completely unrelated to the criminals.

Source

I have great confidence in the ability of the Palestinians to successfully govern themselves. :rolleyes:

******s.

As I've always said, both sides are as bad as each other.
Reply 38
thebucketwoman
******s.

As I've always said, both sides are as bad as each other.

Yeah, now Israel is going to go into Palestine with the intention of killing a few random civilians. :rolleyes:
Reply 39
Bismarck
Yeah, now Israel is going to go into Palestine with the intention of killing a few random civilians. :rolleyes:

Why would they?

Latest

Trending

Trending