Leaky pens Watch

This discussion is closed.
zarjaz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I am one of those weird types who only writes with fountain or cartridge pens. I can't use biro's, gel pens and stuff like that because I can't write neatly with them. I have to do my work in a proper pen.

I know there are other people like me around. what I wondered was whether anyone else has the same problem as me? I cannot stop getting my hands covered in ink! It's worse when i have to refill the pen, but even if I don't have to do that, a whole days writing plus usually more in the evening leaves my hands with spots of blue ink on them, mainly the fingertips of my right hand, which is almost impossible to wash off.

it's only now during the holidays that my hands revert to their natural colour for any length of time

I am not really bothered but I did wonder if anyone else had the same problem and what you do about it, if anything.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had that problem. I got a really expensive pen, and then it didn't leak. And make sure you're holding the pen properly.
zarjaz
(Original post by Juno)
I had that problem. I got a really expensive pen, and then it didn't leak. And make sure you're holding the pen properly.
My pen isnt dead expensive but its not a bad one. And I've had several anyway and they all do it. I think its me, I must fiddle with them or something.

What do you mean by hold it properly though?
natcho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why not get a quill?:p:

When writing I rest the side of my pinky and, bellow the finger, the side of my hand on the page (with my writing hand) and kind of drag it along. I think it's a lazy habbit. Anyway, it means that my hands gets covered in spots of my (biro) ink, and my skin goes all shiney!
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you tried a different brand of pen? For instance, I once had a Parker Frontier, but that leaked over me like a crying baby, so I then went and bought a Lamy Logo and it hasn't yet leaked over me or my work, and I've had that pen for 4 years now!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can get pen holders that are triangular, and basically you have one finger on each side of the triangle, if you can imagine that. You don't want to be too near the nib either.

I've now got a pen called an S-Mooth; it's sorta a cross between a roller ball and a cartridge pen. It has grooves for you to put your fingers in! You could try one of those (they normally have a display modl in good stationery shops) if you can't visulaise how to hold it from my description
zarjaz
I hold mine a bit close to the nib, and I rest the pen on the side of my middle finger while holding it with my thumb and index finger.

all three of these fingers end up covered in ink, every time. It doesn't really wash off, so in term time its just like a permanent feature of my right hand. When the holidays come it's actually a surprise to not see it there, even my mum commented it on it last week because I was driving her to the shops and she noticed how clean my hands were!

Like I say it's not really a problem I just wondered how common it is or if its just me.
HistoryStudent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Whenever I use my cartridge pen it leaks on the areas of the three fingertips which hold the pen.
zarjaz
(Original post by HistoryStudent)
Whenever I use my cartridge pen it leaks on the areas of the three fingertips which hold the pen.
That's EXACTLY what I get!

This is part of a scan i took of my hand for a laugh earlier this year. pretty typical.
Attached files
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well i've been using the same £1.99 fountain pen since yr 6 (i love it, the nib is worn just to the angle i write at), and i never cover myself in ink. I must just be more skillfull than the rest of you :p:
HistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In my case it isn't due to lack of skill, it's the fact that ink leaks around the base of the nib and the bit of pen below it. It'd be literally impossible for anyone to write with it and not get a bit inky (unless you hold it in a really impractical way.)
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Myself, i'd get a new pen then.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Write with nicer colours of ink? I have a lovely green one. I also used to write with a quill (it was huge and plumy), but now I have loads of nice pens, including a couple of those gorgeous Venetian glass ones.
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm exactly the same, i have to write with fountain pen. and i only write with permanent black ink (no real reason for that, i just think it looks nicer). it always used to confuse me how i inky fingers, when i have poked and prodded my pen, and discovered that it doesn't actually leak. so on closer inspection of my writing technique, it appears that when i start to write fast, or at length (i.e. in tests), my fingers slip down it so i think i actually end up touching the nib. if that's the problem you have, i don't think there's anything that can be done. other than enjoy the arty ink-stained fingertip look.
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by henryt)
Have you tried a different brand of pen? For instance, I once had a Parker Frontier, but that leaked over me like a crying baby, so I then went and bought a Lamy Logo and it hasn't yet leaked over me or my work, and I've had that pen for 4 years now!
Ooooh - I love Lamy pens! I used to write with Parkers too but found them really uncomfortable so I bought a Lamy one (afraid I don't know which exactly) and have never looked back Only problem is the only places in the world that seems to sell the cartridges are John Lewis and WH Smith which make buying new ones a bit of a task...
Jenn xx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads